Language: English / Spanish
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

welcome to Sony's community site

Get involved! Whether you are here to ask or give help - we are happy you stopped by and look forward to seeing you in the future! Please watch our Welcome Video to get started.

Alpha - SLT & DSLR Cameras

Groovin'
blueeyes

DSLR ALPHA-77 Taking moon light photos.

After taking the picture; the picture appears correctly exposed on the LCD screen. After importing into Lightproom there is to much noise and the picture quality is not the same as on the camera LCD.  There is so much noise on the computer screen it cannot be eliminated. Using the camera for shutter control. Shoot in Raw. Aperture priority. ISO 1600. Lens; Konica Minolta f2.8,  17 - 35 wide angle. The monitor is calibrated using an i1 set-up. Using a high ISO to enable use of the camera shutter control and less movement in picture, than at a lower ISO.

I do not feel this is an inherent problem with this camera. Where does this problem lie? Why is the computer monitor picture not matching the camera LCD ? At least the screens should match much closer.

Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
bngreenchev

Re: DSLR ALPHA-77 Taking moon light photos.

Why such a high ISO with a fast lens? are you shooting a full moon, half, or quarter? for my shots I used F8, ISO 100, and shutter speed was 1/100th in manual mode for a half moon, depending on what stage the moon is at it gives off a ton of light especially when full so a fast shutter is needed, you might try a tripod and different settings but definitely a lower ISO.
Please use plain text.
Emerging Star
micktravis

Are you trying to get a shot  your location lit by the low ambient light of the moon?  Or are you trying to get a shot of the moon?

IF you were @ 1600 and 2.8 your total exposure time can't have been very long unless it's very nearly pitch  black.   

Can you post the pic here?

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
Lance

blueeyes wrote:

After taking the picture; the picture appears correctly exposed on the LCD screen. After importing into Lightproom there is to much noise and the picture quality is not the same as on the camera LCD.  There is so much noise on the computer screen it cannot be eliminated. Using the camera for shutter control. Shoot in Raw. Aperture priority. ISO 1600. Lens; Konica Minolta f2.8,  17 - 35 wide angle. The monitor is calibrated using an i1 set-up. Using a high ISO to enable use of the camera shutter control and less movement in picture, than at a lower ISO.

I do not feel this is an inherent problem with this camera. Where does this problem lie? Why is the computer monitor picture not matching the camera LCD ? At least the screens should match much closer.

I assume you have a scene only lit by the moon? That will be difficult for any camera. But try using MultiFrame Noise Reduction (pg 40 of english user manual) mode or Handheld Twilight mode (pg 44 of english user manual).

Please use plain text.
Tuning Up
ronc45

Lowering the ISO t0 200-400 and using a tripod works for me
Please use plain text.
Tuning Up
n8izzle

One thing that was not listed is the shutter speed. If it is on bulb or longer than 1/60 I would disable the steady shot. You can also adjust the High ISO NR to Low but keep in mind the image quality will more than likely decrease.  Hope this helps!

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
joestealthmode

A few comments/questions:

1. I shoot the moon with a 600mm f/8 mirror lens, fixed aperture, and I usually shoot at ISO 50 and hope for 1/100s as anything slower willl reflect the moon's movement. Yes you can tell. The camera will not meter correctly under any circumstances I have tried yet as the moon only takes up a fraction of the frame. I imagine with a much smaller lens, the metering will be vastly overexposed. I don't go above ISO 200. If I had a smaller lens, I could probably get away with a lower shutter speed, but I don't think I would want to.

2. Why such a small lens? Are you looking to get stars, clouds or other landscape features in the frame?

3. Are you shooting RAW? If so, are you applying a calibration profile in Lightroom? The Adobe Standard color profile is usually about 90% correct in my estimation. There are other A77 profiles online which are probably closer to 98-99% correct and you can always build your own. I've found a good camera profile will actually reduce perceived noise a good amount at higher ISO values. That being said, unless I am desperate to get a shot without a flash, I rarely, if ever go above 800 on my A77, and 400 if I can help it. Regardless, the first action in Lightroom, for me ALWAYS, is to apply a color profile other than Adobe Standard to the photo.

Please use plain text.