Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted
Enthusiast
Message 1 of 4 (1,608 Views)
Accepted Solution

Difference Between SAM and SAM II lenses for A Mount Sony Cameras

Had a query which has been bothering me and even mails and Tweets to Sony customer care has not helped resolve the issue. On SOny Website I can see that in two of the lenses i.e. Sony DT 18-55mm and Sony 55-200mm lenses there are two options available - one with a SAM lens and the other with SAM II lens. I tried searching for the difference between SAM and SAM II lens but could not get mor information except for the following:-

"Sony SAL1855 is a SAM (Smooth Autofocus Motor) Lens which was launched in 2009 whereas Sony SAL18552 is an improved version SAM II and it was launched in 2013. While SAL18552 SAM II lens has retained the same smooth AF motor (SAM) as its predecessor, it’s newly-designed rear lens elements suppresses flare and ghost, while mechanical elements have also been upgraded for more positive, comfortable operation"

From above I can concur that SAM II is an improved version lens which was launched in 2013. I have physically seen SONY DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM (SAL1855) lens and also the new improved  Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM II Series (SAL18552) Lens. The word SAM and SAM II are inscribed on the outer body of the lens to differentiate the two lenses resply.

What I would like to know is whether the similiar difference exists between Sony DT 55-200mm F4-5.6 (SAL55200)  Lens and Sony DT 55-200mm F4-5.6 SAM (SAL55200-2) Lens??? I have seen a Sony Lens 55200 with SAM inscribed on the outer bosy of the lens. But never seen a Sony lens 55200 with SAM II inscribed on the body of the lens. Can someone please enlighten me on the SAM and SAM II difference with reference to SONY 55200 mm telephoto lens.

Thanks in advance

Regards

Sabir Hundekar

Professional
Message 2 of 4 (1,568 Views)

Re: Difference Between SAM and SAM II lenses for A Mount Sony Cameras

The "II" doesn't refer to a change in the SAM, but to other components of the lens.

(From Sony lens literature) Boasting second-generation styling, this new lens succeeds the popular DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM that was introduced in 2011. The light, compact 3x zoom lens covers a frequently-used range of focal lengths from wide-angle 18mm to standard 55mm (35mm camera equivalent range: 27-82.5mm). While retaining the same smooth AF motor (SAM) as its predecessor, newly-designed rear lens elements suppresses flare and ghost, while mechanical elements have been upgraded for more positive, comfortable operation.

As for the 55-200, the original didn't have a SAM AF motor, while its replacement did.

¹ The Lens is the Thing
² 'Full Frame' is the new 'Medium Format'
³ "One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions." - Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot.
Enthusiast
Message 3 of 4 (1,561 Views)

[ Edited ]

Its all So confused. But fom whatever I could gather let me summarize it as under:-

1)     Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM is a lens with older Smooth Auto Focus Motor which was launched in 2009 and discontinued by manufacturer. This lens has the word SAM inscribed on the outer body of the lens.

2)    Whereas Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM II SAL18552 is the new improved version of the lens which was launched in Feb 2013. This lens has the word SAM II inscribed on the outer body of the lens.

3)    Sony DT 55-200mm F4-5.6 SAL-55200 is the older generation lens which does not have any mention of SAM on the outer body of the lens.

4)   Whereas Sony DT 55–200 mm F4–5.6 SAM Zoom (SAL55200/2) in the new generation lens which has SAM written on the outer body of the lens. If that is so then just wondering WHY SAM IS WRITTEN AND NOT SAM II???

Sony DT 55-200mm F4-5.6 SAL-55200 Image Below

Screenshot (131).png

Sony DT 55–200 mm F4–5.6 SAM Zoom (SAL55200/2) Image Below

Screenshot (137).png

5)    If the above is true then One thing is not understood - Why Sony DT 55–200 mm F4–5.6 SAM II SAL55200-2 is known as SAM II lens when only the words SAM are written on the body of the lens. Refer the snapshot of the lens fom Sony website which is as below

Collage 2017-03-25 20_19_46.jpg

Regards and Happy Shooting

Sabir Hundekar

Professional
Message 4 of 4 (1,552 Views)

[ Edited ]

You're misreading it. It's not "SAM II", which might imply a second generation of SAM.

It's "DT 18–55 mm F3.5–5.6 SAM II", which indicates that it's a second generation of the DT 18–55 mm F3.5–5.6 SAM lens. There are components of the original lens that have been improved, which justifies the use of "II", but the SAM wasn't one of them. That is, the SAM wasn't improved, but the lens as a whole was.

So the "DT 18–55 mm F3.5–5.6 SAM II" is different from the "DT 18–55 mm F3.5–5.6 SAM". The "II" is necessary because, in all other respects, the model designation, "DT 18–55 mm F3.5–5.6 SAM", is unchanged, so "II' distinguishes the earlier version from the later version.

As for the 55-200, the earlier "DT 55–200 mm F4–5.6" is, in all other respects, identical to the "DT 55–200 mm F4–5.6 SAM" with the exception that the newer version contains the SAM motor. A "II" isn't necessary because the "SAM" distinguishes the newer version from the older.

As for the Sony Website referring to the newer lens with a "II", that's just one of the ways that Sony's web designers got things mixed up. For instance, the webpages for some of Sony's lenses list the filter sizes in millimeters, while others list the filter sizes in inches (case in point: DT 16–105 mm F3.5–5.6, Vario-Sonnar® T* DT 16–80 mm F3.5-4.5 ZA, and DT 18–135 mm F3.5–5.6 SAM). NOBODY lists filter sizes in inches, not even Sony. Somebody that works on Sony's website did the conversion from Metric to English and replaced the metric values that everybody uses, with the English values that nobody uses (for filters)(anymore). Sony's customers must convert the English values to Metric so they can look for Sony's own filters that fit Sony's own lenses, on Sony's own website.

I have no doubt that Sony's web designers are excellent at other aspects of their jobs, but they frequently foul up Sony's pages for cameras, lenses, and etc.

¹ The Lens is the Thing
² 'Full Frame' is the new 'Medium Format'
³ "One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions." - Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot.

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook