Welcome to the Community!

Alpha - SLT & DSLR Cameras

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted
Enthusiast
Message 1 of 4 (873 Views)

Formattted disc wiped memory card clean?

I bought a Sony Alpha 7ii from an online company. Not sure if it was new because the seal on the box was broken. I used the camera for the first time while on vacation last week. Each time I started up the camera I got the message on the display Recording is unavailable in this movie because format is set to PAL. Format? Enter or cancel. First I don't understand this message. Was I sold the European version of this camera? Second, I just kept hitting cancel except one time. The screen said it was formatting my memory card. Not realizing what happened, I took 2 pictures. When I went to review my pictures, the only ones showing were the two I took after it formatted. I have tried every photo recovery download software I could find. None have recovered my lost photos, only the two that I shot after the formatting. Is there any likelihood my photos can be recovered? I lost a whole vacation's worth of beautiful photos.
Professional
Message 2 of 4 (773 Views)

Re: Formattted disc wiped memory card clean?

Was the card formatted in the camera before you took your first batch of photos?

If it wasn't, then it would have used a more conventional File Allocation Table (FAT) file system when those photos were stored on it. When the camera formatted the card automatically, it migh have laid down a different file system, which may have left your original photos unretrievable.

¹ The Lens is the Thing
² 'Full Frame' is the new 'Medium Format'
³ "One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions." - Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot.
Enthusiast
Message 3 of 4 (734 Views)

No, I didn't format it first. I have seen that term FAT come up when I have been using the photo recovery software. Is there any company specializing in retrieving data from the FAT file system that I can send the memory card to?
Professional
Message 4 of 4 (710 Views)

Reformatting a card doesn't necessarily erase the old data.

What it usually does is write an empty FAT to the card, which simply marks all the space that had preveiously contained your photos, as being empty.

Unfortunately, when a Sony camera formats a card, in addition to writing an empty FAT to the card, it also creates a complex folder structure and an image database. These additions that probably weren't there when you started using the card, would likely have overwritten some (if not all) of your original photos. So I think it's unlikely that they can be recovered.

The program I rely on in cases like this, is PhotRec. If you haven't already, I suggest you try it.

But if anybody can recover it for you, these people can: https://www.krollontrack.com/services/data-recovery/

¹ The Lens is the Thing
² 'Full Frame' is the new 'Medium Format'
³ "One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions." - Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot.

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook