Skip to the end of navigation

Welcome to the Community!

Alpha - SLT & DSLR Cameras

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Rookie
Message 1 of 21 (4,772 Views)

Issues with shutter speed dial on A7II ????

So, to my surprise I seem to be having issues with the A7II and the aperture dial.

If I set the camera to manual, I can change the aperture with the rear dial but when I turn the front dial, it only changes shutter speed between two adjacent values.

If I customize the dial functions and reverse the dials, I can change the shutter speed with the rear dial but only change two aperture values with the front dial.

I suspected the dial was bad, but it actually changes values. Just two. I cannot scroll through the entire range.

Has anyone experienced this ? Am I missing something here ?

Thanks

JT

Message 2 of 21 (4,726 Views)

Re: Issues with shutter speed dial on A7II ????

Hi jtorral,

We're sorry to hear that you're experiencing issues with the ILCE7m2. Let me see if I could help you out. You said that turning the front dial does nothing but toggle between two shutter speed levels or aperture values. I suggest pressing on the dial while turning it to change the values. If this does not resolve the issue, Initialize the camera. Go to Menu, Setup, then choose Settings Reset and Initialize. This would revert the camera to its original settings so ll customized setting will be erased.

Note: Files saved in the Memory card will not be deleted.

If the issue is still unresolved, service may be required for the unit. Please visit eservice,sony.com to set up repair.

If my post answers your question, please mark it as "Accept as Solution". Thanks_Mitch

Enthusiast
Message 3 of 21 (4,324 Views)

I have a similar problem  ...

I just upgraded to Alpha7II.  I use Manual mode and I have configured the Rear-dial to adjust Shutter speed and the Control wheel to adjust Aperture.  I am not able to change the Aperture at all with this setting (using the Control wheel).  Is there a setting I am missing in A7II for this to work?  Tried Locking and Un-locking the Control wheel with no luck. I even tried Aperture mode to do this but it woudn't work.  I also own an A6000 and this setting works well and haven't had any problem. 

However, when I tried the same thing by flipping the configuraitons (Rear-dial > aperture and the Control wheel > Shutter)  I am able to change the Aperture using the Rear-wheel.  Makes me wonder if there is something wrong with the new unit I just purhcased.

Any help is appreciated.

Message 4 of 21 (4,252 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi pnaranian,

Welcome to the SOny Community!

How you control the aperture and shutter in ilce6000 is different from ilce7m2.

For the ILCE6000, it uses the dial and the wheel. Wheel is for the shutter speed while dial is for the aperture.

ilce6000.jpg

For the ILCE7M2, it uses a front dial and rear dial. Front is for aperture and rear is for shutter speed.

The control wheel has a seperate function that is why the control wheel does not change the aperture. you will use the front or rear dials only.

ilce7m222.jpg

According to the manual of ILCE6000:

a6000.jpg

According to the manual of ILCE7M2:

You can switch the functions of the front/rear dial.

ilce7m2.jpg

The control wheel has a different function on the other hand for the ILCE7M2..

control wheel a7m2.jpg

If my post answers your question, please mark it as "Accept as Solution".

Best regards,

Zander

Rookie
Message 5 of 21 (4,143 Views)

Hello,

I bought Sony A7mk2 this year, and after few months of using it I have similar problem:

Rear dial is not working properly. It is stuck between 2 adjacent settings. So no matter which way I move it shuter speed goes 1/160  1/200 1/160 1/200.. 

I have tried to reset camera settings and I didn't work. Still the same problem. Any advice please?

Rookie
Message 6 of 21 (4,138 Views)

Yeap. It required repair. You will need to send it in.

JT

Message 7 of 21 (4,102 Views)

Hi Onix5,

Welcome to the Sony Community!

Sorry to know that you are experiencing this issue with your camera. In this case, you will need to send your camera for further diagnostics and repair. To check on where your nearest Service Centre is, please contact the Sony offices/Sony representative offices nearest to your place of residencee. We kindly recommend visiting our Sony Global Web site for information on contacting the Sony Support Center in your region at http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/Support/.

Best regards,

Zander

dhv Rookie
Rookie
Message 8 of 21 (4,015 Views)

Did you get this issue fixed? I have the same exact issue and it seems to be a common problem on the a7 and a7ii. 

Message 9 of 21 (3,988 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi dhv,

Sorry to hear that your unit is experiencing this issue with your camera. I'm sorry but you will need to send your camera for further diagnostics and repair. Please create a service request here

Best regards,

Zander

Enthusiast
Message 10 of 21 (3,330 Views)

I do have exactly the same issue with my A6000. I contacted SONY in my country ( Australia) and they directed me to their third party repairer as this camera was bought 22 months ago from international seller ( ebay) and they would not cover the warranty. I am bit disappointed because this seems to be issue with their camera system rather than any physical damage and SONY does not want do anything thing.

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook