Language: English / Spanish

welcome to Sony's community site

Get involved! Whether you are here to ask or give help - we are happy you stopped by and look forward to seeing you in the future! Please watch our Welcome Video to get started.

Alpha - SLT & DSLR Cameras

Garage Band
coachb
Accepted Solution

Lenses for A99?

Can anyone recommend a couple of good quality lenses for the a99, that aren't Zeiss lenses? Just spoke to Sony, but the sales rep really wasn't very good.  What I'm trying to do, is identify a few lenses - something that can be used in low light, indoor situations; a zoom lens that is good for shooting action sports; and a good everyday lens.

I asked Sony about the SAL 75-300 and the SAL 18-135 but, the rep couldn't say "for sure" if these work well with the full sensor A99 - or if they're better with APS/C cameras..  I've eliminated any "DT" lenses from the search - understanding these are designed for APS/C cameras.  I've got the a350, with several lenses.  I understand that I should be able to use these w/the a99 - but with a given crop factor - so I don't want to purchase more DT-style lenses, and I'm not ready to pay the Zeiss money (understanding those seem to be the best lenses).

Is there a range of Sony lenses designed for the a99 that'll take advantage of the full sensor?

Thanks,

Coach B.

Please use plain text.
Sony Employee
KevinG

Re: Lenses for A99?

[ Edited ]

You are right to dismiss DT lenses since the SLT-A99V is a full frame camera. If you do not want to get into the Zeiss lenses, then the SAL75300 and SAL18135 are both good choices; neither of these are DT lenses and can make full use of the image sensor. You may also want to consider a couple of prime lenses like the SAL50F14 or SAL85F28.

If my post answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution." This will help other find verified answers more quickly.

Please use plain text.
Garage Band
coachb

Thanks much!   Since my original post - I went ahead and ordered one lens - the SAL2470Z Zeiss.  I figure on using this as my "daily' lens.  Originally, didn't want to spend $2,000 out the gate but it was the one single lens that most reviews seem to standardize on.

Once my camera arrives (ordred last week) I'll take a while getting use to it with the 2470Z, then I'll add the SAL 18135.  I'm sure there will still be times when I can use my APS/C lenses.  I already have a Sony 75-300 (which doesn't say DT on it).  Not sure if it's exclusive to the APS/C family (it is 55mm circumference), but I"ve used it for a couple years with my a350.  My macro does say DT (DT 2.8/30 Macro Sam) so I expect a crop factor with that - but I'll have to test with the 75-300 to see if cropping will be an issue.

Thanks again for the response.

Coach B.

Please use plain text.
Sony Employee
KevinG

The SAL75300 is not a DT lens, so you should not have any issues with image sensor cropping.

I'm glad I was able to help. Let us know if there is anything else we may be able to help with. :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.