Search instead for 
Do you mean 
wwp Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Message 1 of 5 (547 Views)
Accepted Solution

Need Help About Camera Lens

[ Edited ]

Are there specific lens for specific camera or can I use any lens on any camera as long as it is a sony product?

Professional
Message 2 of 5 (535 Views)

Re: Need Help About Camera Lens

[ Edited ]

wwp wrote:

Are there specific lens for specific camera ...

To some extent, yes. Different camera manufacturers make interchangeable lens cameras with unique lens mounts, unique in their mechanical and electronic connections as well as their flange focal distances (the distance from the lens mount to the image sensor.) Lenses intended for one camera brand won't work on cameras from a different manufacturer without an adapter. In addition, lenses for cameras from one manufacturer may not be adaptable to cameras from another manufacturer, and even if they are, they may not fully support all the features and capabilities that would be available to lenses intended for that particular manufacturer's cameras.

wwp wrote:

... or can I use any lens on any camera as long as it is a sony product?

In addition, some camera manufacturers of interchangeable lens cameras make cameras with different lens mounts, which are not interchangeable. For instance, Sony makes cameras with both A-Mount and E-Mount lens mounts, and lenses for one lens mount can't be mounted directly on cameras with the other. And while A-Mount lenses can be used on E-Mount bodies using adapters, E-Mount lenses CANNOT be used on A-Mount bodies.

So, when shopping for lenses, you need to select lenses that are either native to, or can be adapted to the camera body you're using. And if an adapter is required, what features and capabilities of the camera are supported by the adaper.

Can you provide some specifics about what prompted you to ask this question, so that I can provide a more specific response?

¹ The Lens is the Thing
² 'Full Frame' is the new 'Medium Format'
³ "One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions." - Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot.
wwp Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Message 3 of 5 (465 Views)

Thank you for the reply. It helped me understand cameras alot more. Much appreciated

To expand on why I'm asking this, I am a beginner at photography, kinda obvious here since I'm asking this, and currently I have a Sony a5100 and want to change my lens. My current lens are the stock lens it came with which has the following specs :

E 3.5-5.6/PZ 16-50 OSS

o.25mm/0.82ft-0.3mm/0.98ft

Ø 40.5

(if you do not mind, mind if you explain to me the values as well? I'm sorry if I'm asking too much)

I found out that this lens do not blur the background from the subject enough for my liking, can you recommend me a lens for the Sony a5100 that has a lower apature which will blur the background more than what my current lens give?

Thank you,

Ivan

Professional
Message 4 of 5 (463 Views)

wwp wrote:

E 3.5-5.6/PZ 16-50 OSS

o.25mm/0.82ft-0.3mm/0.98ft

Ø 40.5

(if you do not mind, mind if you explain to me the values as well? I'm sorry if I'm asking too much)

1. E - It's an E-Mount lens.
  2. 3.5-5.6 - It has a maximum aperture that ranges from f/3.5 at its shortest focal length to f/5.6 at its longest.
  3. PZ - PowerZoom, in that it can be zoomed from a control on the camera.
  4. 16-50 - It has a variable focal length ranging from 16mm (83° angle of view) to 50mm (32° angle of view).
  5. OSS - Optical SteadyShot, in that the lens has optical image stabilization built in.
  6. o.25mm/0.82ft-0.3mm/0.98ft - The minimum focus distance at each end of the zoom range.
  7. Ø 40.5 - The diameter of filter that can be attached to the filter threads on the end of the lens.

wwp wrote:

I found out that this lens do not blur the background from the subject enough for my liking, can you recommend me a lens for the Sony a5100 that has a lower apature which will blur the background more than what my current lens give?

What you seem to be looking for is a shallow Depth of Field. The lens you have has a relatively small maximum aperture, so the resulting DoF is quite large, so objects in front of and behind the subject tend to still be in focus. To blur them, you need lenses with larger apertures (numerically smaller f-numbers.)

There are several to chose from, from multiple manufacturers. Different lenses have their advantages and disadvantages, so selecting an appropriate lens involves balancing the advantages with the disadvantages and making a purchasing decision based on that comparison, and how a lens might serve your intended purpose.

For instance, Sony's FE 50mm F1.8 (SEL50F18F) has a much larger aperture of f/1.8 and sells for $199, so it's cheaper than the $249 E 50 mm F1.8 OSS (SEL50F18), but it's not stabilized like the more expensive lens. But if you'll be shooting in good lighting with large apertures, then you'll probably be using very fast shutter speeds, so image stabilization won't be an issue.

Basically, any lens with a larger aperture (numerically smaller f-number) will give you a more shallow DoF, but selecting a lens is more than just picking a focal length and maximum aperture.

From Sony, in addition to the two 50mm lenses I already mentioned, there are:

There is also a good selection of large aperture lenses from third party manucfacturers like Rokinon (manual focus lenses), Sigma, and Zeiss

¹ The Lens is the Thing
² 'Full Frame' is the new 'Medium Format'
³ "One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions." - Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot.
wwp Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Message 5 of 5 (446 Views)

Thank you very very much

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook