Welcome to the Community!

Alpha - SLT & DSLR Cameras

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Rookie
Message 1 of 2 (262 Views)

SONY DSLRs not worth it

I had been using a DSLR A-200 for a long time and then aquired a A-700 after being pleased with the 200 but now that has all changed.  BOTH cameras have had the "Super Steady Shot" stop working leaving the photographs noticeably off centered from the viewfinder.  This has rendered both of the cameras useless for doing my photowork as the subject will be cut off when using either camera.  The sony chat support person told me the camera warranties would not cover this since they only last a year after the purchase date. This is clearly a poor quality design that is a major problem if it occured in both of my Sony DSLRs.  I take excellent care of my equipment since i rely on this for my photography work.  I am throughly displeased in Sony and will never purchase their products again if they don't remedy this situation.

Highlighted
Professional
Message 2 of 2 (236 Views)

Re: SONY DSLRs not worth it

The image stabilization system that Sony uses in it's DSLR, SLT, and 'Full Frame' E-mount camera bodies, shakes the image sensor to compensate for camera shake, such that, even though the camera is shaking, the sensor stays relatively motionless.

This requires an electromechanichal system of sensors and actuators which are subject to wear, and ultimately, failure, just like similar devices in other products.

I think that expecting such devices to be warranted in perpetuity is unreasonable.

¹ The Lens is the Thing
² 'Full Frame' is the new 'Medium Format'
³ "One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions." - Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot.

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook