Alpha - SLT & DSLR Cameras

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted
Enthusiast
Message 1 of 11 (2,234 Views)
Accepted Solution

Sony A7r III: Is there to be a Large / Medium / Small RAW File in future software?

Professional
Message 2 of 11 (2,204 Views)

Re: Sony A7r III: Is there to be a Large / Medium / Small RAW File in future software?

[ Edited ]

RAW files store the data straight from the image sensor. The sensor only has one resolution, so the camera can't create different size RAW files.

The different size JPEG files come from downsampling the original image data.

¹ The Lens is the Thing
² 'Full Frame' is the new 'Medium Format'
³ "One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions." - Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot.
Enthusiast
Message 3 of 11 (2,183 Views)

Re: Sony A7r III: Is there to be a Large / Medium / Small RAW File in future software?

Thank you TCac for the response. I do wonder how Canon and other camera manufacturers can create an option of "smaller" or "down-sized" RAW files as a choice in function of their respective camera settings.

Professional
Message 4 of 11 (2,162 Views)

[ Edited ]

RAW files contain a value for the luminance recorded by each photoreceptor on the image sensor (to an accuracy of either 12 or 14 binary digits, depending on the camera and its settings) and a value representing the color of the individual microfilter of the Bayer Filter on the sensor.

sRAW files require some processing such that each downsampled pixel contains R, G, and B values for the luninances of 1 photoreceptor under a red microfilter, the average of the 2 photoreceptor under their green microfilters, and 1 photoreceptor under a blue microfilter (again, to either 12 or 14 bit accuracy). As a result, the resolution of the sRAW file is one quarter of a corresponding RAW file, but since it contains much more data per pixel, the file size is generally a little more than half as small as a RAW file would be. So while the color accuracy of an sRAW file is very close to what you would get from a conventional RAW file, quite a bit of detail is lost by significantly lowering the resolution, and without significant savings in storage requirements.

Bayer Filter.jpg

mRAW does something similar, preserving color accuracy, but it also somewhat preserves resolution, and therefore, detail. But again, it doesn't save much in storege requirements over that of conventional RAW files.

And storage is cheap, so why bother?

¹ The Lens is the Thing
³ "One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions." - Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot.
Enthusiast
Message 5 of 11 (2,146 Views)

TCav: on the money! Thank you for the info... great insight!!! I have always wondered at what cost of quality when shooting sRAW... I have to say I that I am most likely going to be switching from Canon to Sony with this A7R3.

Professional
Message 6 of 11 (2,112 Views)

[ Edited ]

I have always said that picking an interchangeable lens camera isn't about the camera; it's about the lenses.

So make sure the A7 III has the lenses you need with the quality you expect in prices that you can afford, before you commit to the switch.

¹ The Lens is the Thing
Enthusiast
Message 7 of 11 (2,089 Views)

I could not agree more and I have been waiting for a while now. In fact, I'll be renting and shooting with it before that decision is finally made. Cheers again!

Enthusiast
Message 8 of 11 (1,094 Views)

Checking in to follow this topic. Considering full switch to Sony, but I could not give up the "mRaw" format of my D850. It is incredibly useful for processing larger jobs where extreme resolution is unnecessary. Takes my Raw file sizes down from around 55MB to 25-30MB each, and this makes a HUGE difference when processing a large job through Lightroom. Hoping Sony implements this useful feature soon.

Chris

Professional
Message 9 of 11 (1,092 Views)

Chrisdm wrote:

Checking in to follow this topic. Considering full switch to Sony, but I could not give up the "mRaw" format of my D850. It is incredibly useful for processing larger jobs where extreme resolution is unnecessary. Takes my Raw file sizes down from around 55MB to 25-30MB each, and this makes a HUGE difference when processing a large job through Lightroom. Hoping Sony implements this useful feature soon.

Have you tried Compressed RAW?

¹ The Lens is the Thing
Enthusiast
Message 10 of 11 (1,032 Views)

No, I dont have an a7rii to test. What is the approximate file size of a compressed RAW? I couldn't imagine it would be near my D850's mRaw file size of 25 to 30MB, but if it is that would certainly have me reconsider. Thanks,

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook