Language: English / Spanish
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

welcome to Sony's community site

Get involved! Whether you are here to ask or give help - we are happy you stopped by and look forward to seeing you in the future! Please watch our Welcome Video to get started.

Alpha - SLT & DSLR Cameras

Top 40 Artist
gvisuals
Accepted Solution

Sony - Why no a99 PAL Video Option for North America?

The European version of the a99 has the option to shoot in frame rates for either PAL or NTSC.  The US version cannot. 

From the UK product page:

Movie recording mode - AVCHD

1920 x 1080 (60p/50p recording 28 Mbps, 60i/50i 24 Mbps, 60i/50i 17 Mbps, 24p/25p 24 Mbps, 24p/25p 17 Mbps)

The US version shoots in only 60, 30 or 24 fps.  Is there are hardware reason that is preventing 50 and 25 fps.  This seems highly unlikely, if a camera can shoot at 60fps it should have no issue recording at derivatives below that.

Years ago, Canon listened to it's users and modified the frame rates offered on the 5D Mark II (and generally enhanced it's product).  Please do the same and enable the capability for 50p/25p. 

The software must already exist for this given that you currently produce the same camera with these frame rates.  Why restrict your customers in the USA that can make use of these frame rates utilizing this camera for their clients (in place of the Canon alternatives)?

Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
ColbyP

Re: Sony - Why no a99 PAL Video Option for North America?

The 25p video frame rate is used in countries outside of the United States and Canada. Cameras/ Camcorders sold in the United States conform to the National Television System Committee (NTSC) broadcast standard.

Our Sony engineering team constantly review customer feedbacks posted in this community to plan for and design product enhancements or increase system stability and performance. If applicable, they may try to incorporate some of the additional frame rates in future DSLR series cameras.

Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
gvisuals

Colby, thank you for getting back to me.  I am well aware of the differences in frame rates and systems.  I do have clients who need things shot here, in North America, but for their PAL country.  For whatever the reason, the a99 for sale in Europe is universal and can shoot in both NTSC and PAL frame rates.  The US a99 is crippled of this ability.

While I would appreciate seeing this feature in future cameras, I (and others who have to shoot for other countries) would appreciate this option now on this current, fairly new camera...that is clearly capable of it.

Is it possible to load European firmware onto an a99 purchased in North America?

Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
cmosse

"Is it possible to load European firmware onto an a99 purchased in North America?"

No, it is not possible to "cross update" the firmware (EU/USA for available frame rate settings)

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
Davod

What happens when I move back to Australia, Will i have to buy a new camera to get PAL?
Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
cmosse

I think most modern HD TV sets can handle both 50 and 60 Hz frame rates.

Ohterwise it is more a problem (to playback 50Hz content in the USA).

Frame rate conversion could also be performed using some video editing software or dedicated video converters.

Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
cosmopolite

Canon and Panasonic offer their users ability to change framerate, why would that to be problem for Sony?

>Frame rate conversion could also be performed using some video editing software or dedicated video converters.

Make a problem, then find a way to solve it... Silly...

Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
gvisuals

I suspect it is a tax / fee / licensing issue similar to the reason why camera makers have limited SLR / SLT cameras to a 29 minute video recording time. If a camera can record 30+ continuous minutes it is labelled a video camera and is subject to additional fees.

Given the high cost of the a99 compared to the rest of the alpha line (2.8 times the cost of the next most expensive alpha camera - a77), it is my opinion that consumers deserve the PAL option despite any additional tax or import fees.
Please use plain text.