Alpha - SLT & DSLR Cameras

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Enthusiast
Message 1 of 4 (1,767 Views)

Sony will not honor warranty!! A6500 Issues

[ Edited ]

I had purchased the a6500 when it first came out at the end of November 2016 and just noticed it had issues recently with the USB port and HDMI port. I contacted Sony and they had told me to send it to their third party service center Precision Camera repair. Percision Camera service then told me that the camera has corrosion and it would cost $598 to repair and that I could call Sony to ask them to cover it under their warranty. Sony tells me that the camera is no longer under warranty from corrosion damage. I ask them how could a camera that is used as a back up camera have this problem and that camera had to be defective since its 6 months old. Sony then tells me they will get back to me in 48 hours to see what they could do. I get a phone call back from Sony 2 days later telling me now that the camera is going to cost over $1000 to repair and the most they could do was offer to sell me another a6500 for $1000 not including tax meaning I would have spent $2400 in total for this camera. I ask how could a camera could have corrosion damage and the representative answers that it could be normal weather and anything could cause it. How can a camera be advertised as "A robust magnesium alloy body offers a durable profile, and also incorporates dust and moisture seals to protect against harsh environments." be have corrosion problems when the camera is still new and taken care of. I am extremely frusterated on this level of service when I own many Sony products (a7sii, 24-70mm F2.8 GM, 90mm F2.8 G, 55mm 1.8, 18-105mm F4, 10-18mm F4, 70-200mm f4, 28mm F2 G) for my business. All of my products are well taken care of and the a6500 was only used as a back up camera for less than a year. I feel I should warn my subscibers of how a brand I trusted for decades has truly showed their faces when I finally need help with an issue. Yes, sony may be leading in the sensor technology but customer service is extremely lacking.

Expert
Message 2 of 4 (1,714 Views)

Re: Sony will not honor warranty!! A6500 Issues

Sony is good until you need a) customer service or b) warranty.

Call the ACCC, don't waste time dealing with a company that doesn't do its own repairs.

Rookie
Message 3 of 4 (1,430 Views)

[ Edited ]

A) Insist on speaking to a manager in tech services.

B) If they won't help, WRITE to them with a formal request.

Phone calls can be ignored. Written correspondence is tracked and has a better chance of positive answer.

C) Next time, try to get the longest 3, 4, or 5 year 'all inclusive' warranty, Squaretrade, Warrantech, etc., have these.

D) IF you want, file a claim in Small Claims Court.  Once filed, they should take immediate action.  I did this to Walmart. They stonewalled me until I filed in Small Claims, then they called to offer me a full refund!

Sorry for your problems. But it's a good lesson for the rest of us!

BYW: I keep desiccant pouches (i buy desicant in bulk) with all my electronic gear. Helps prevent this type of damage. Started using them in the 'old' days as mold will grow inside lenses as well as corrode cameras!!!!

Highlighted
Apprentice
Message 4 of 4 (1,418 Views)

Welcome! ANOTHER proud Sony customer that they will not listen to. Go figure!

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook