Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Rookie
Message 1 of 3 (265 Views)

Strange bokeh on Sony 35mm f1.8

[ Edited ]

Hi there,

I'm getting poor bokeh quality with my 35mm 1.8 and I'm wondering if this is normal. It almost looks more like motion blur than bokeh in some cases. I looked over some reviews and sample photos from elsewhere and they seemed okay.

These are two example photos shot with my 35mm at f1.8 using the a6000:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwKPG1oaT2aiQXUwdVVSTEp2bHc/view?usp=sharing (check out the detail on the leaves)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwKPG1oaT2aib2hGWjlWMHJ1eG8/view?usp=sharing (this one is pretty obvious)

What do you guys think?

Thanks,

KJ

Professional
Message 2 of 3 (245 Views)

Re: Strange bokeh on Sony 35mm f1.8

Motion blur is almost always directional, like a smear. The blur you're getting is very generalized. (Note the blur around his ID badge against his black shirt.)

Unfortunately, that lens isn't very sharp at f/1.8 except in the very center. In the second shot, that would be the guy's forehead, but even that isn't very sharp. I suspect that you've got a combination of factors at fault, the first being that, at f/1.8, that isn't a sharp lens, and the second being that it wasn't focused properly. Other factors might have contributed to the results you're getting, but I think that's the two main causes.

¹ The Lens is the Thing
² 'Full Frame' is the new 'Medium Format'
³ "One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions." - Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot.
Message 3 of 3 (162 Views)

Re: Strange bokeh on Sony 35mm f1.8

Hi Kalanga

I will also advise you to send the unit to your nearest Service Centre for further checks so as to ensure there is no anomaly with your lens. 

Regards

Ann

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook