Language: English / Spanish
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

welcome to Sony's community site

Get involved! Whether you are here to ask or give help - we are happy you stopped by and look forward to seeing you in the future! Please watch our Welcome Video to get started.

Alpha - SLT & DSLR Cameras

USER-926167
Accepted Solution

Tethering. A65 & A77

I own an a65 and I like your camera plus I've been taking great shots; however, the need for tethering is becoming a requirement soon. I may have to explore alternatives but I'd rather not. I see the March firmware release as many features but not tethering. Hopefully Sony realizes the end users would like to see this feature available within these models soon. Please keep up the good work and don't disappoint.

Please pass my request to your engineering/product development group.
That's it,
Brian
Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
KimberlyS

Re: Tethering. A65 & A77

Hello Brian,
Welcome to the User Discussion Forums.
Thank you for your kind words and review. We will forward your suggestion for review by request.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
USER-905101

Any update to this that can be shared? Tethering would be amazing on my A77 and it is getting to the point that I am considering switching to Nikon to get this functionality.
Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
KimberlyS

Hello,
Thank you for your post.
There is no ETA for implementation of features for firmware updates. We do forward all feedback and suggestions/ requests for additional features to Digital Imaging for review.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
USER-955835

I'd also like to throw in my vote for tethered shooting on the A77. If it's intent was to be the successor to the A700, I feel that it should build upon the features rather than remove.
Please use plain text.
USER-930728

I to am a PROUD owner of a Sony A65,

As my love of photography grows, so does my demands for the uses in my camera abilities . I'm now finding that the need for tethering is quickly becoming a necessity for many of my photo shoots.
I'm going into my 3rd year of photography courses and though my instructors woe at the capabilities and quality my camera produces (a30 to a65) I still yet have to rely on a Cannon Camera (class loaned) to use tethering for photo shoots mainly portrait/modeling because of course requirements.
I'm very upset over the fact you manufacturer an AMAZING camera but don't act on the simplest recommendation (tethering) into a priority situation.

Sony,
Look in forums, reviews (Google can even find these requests, give it a shot, "tethering a65 a77"). This is the most common request we ask for. If we can put out our HARD EARNED money towards your equipment, can't you at least listen to us and act on it ?
I have already invested nearly $6400.00 US Dollars into Sony's DSLR & Lenses to meet or challenge the professional demands of a photographer, I hope/pray your company does the same soon. ............................
Thanks,
B. Robbins, Portland Ore
Please use plain text.
Groovin'
TomK

Add my vote to people wanting tethering capabilities. I think the whole line of Alphas and Nex cameras should have it.

Please use plain text.
mac Groovin'
Groovin'
mac

I too would like to vote for this feature, it seems they have it already for the a99.

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
joestealthmode

A lot has been said the last few days about tethering as the latest firmware revisions have been announced. And as I appreciate a person saying they have invested $6400 in Sony products wanting tethering as someone who's number is closer to $20000 I don't understand what your perception of tethering provides over the top of the Electronic Viewfinder, Live View on the LCD, and the ability to hook up to a TV with an HDMI cable, or combining those with the use of an Eye-Fi card. Is there some magic I am missing by adjusting my shots with the viewfinder or the LCD as my guide? Maybe I am missing the point of tethering, does the software you tether to adjust the shot before you take it? What does tethering provide that is so valuable to the point of being the most frequent complaint? I am not devaluing the concern, I am trying to understand what is gained as I haven't had the functionality myself.

As someone in the software industry, I know without a doubt Sony made the decision not to allow this functionality for a good reason. It isn't something they didn't consider. So at the cost of sustained engineering where the only gains are perceived and immeasurable retention through customer satisfaction (which shouldn't be underestimated), what is the value to Sony for providing these features? If you already bought the camera, you could have gone into the purchase thinking it would be supported and be angry it wasn't and that is fair. Chances are, you bought it because it, especially at this level of camera, because it fulfilled a need and you rewarded Sony with your money. At the end of the day, you felt the features provided were worth the money you spent. Does Sony have a responsibility to add support for their lenses as new ones come available? Maybe. Are they required to do so? Not unless they promised it. Does Sony have a responsibility to resolve consistent performance issues? Maybe? But they don't have to at the expense of satisfaction. If you go into it thinking your $6400 will win you a right to ask for a feature, which probably costs tens, if not hundreds of thousands of dollars in development and testing, you're probably fighting a losing battle. If Sony decided to add a feature for a few complainers which broke the functionality non-complainers relied on, it would be even worse. To get tethering on your A77, you need to convince Sony that the tens, if not hundreds of thousands of dollars of sustained engineering costs they have to invest on for products they will get zero immediate returns will cost less than the amount of money they will lose by losing those people who would move to a platform which supports the feature they want at the expense of more profit due to Sony for the next version of their product. Will enough people with A77's who have already committed to buying A78's or A99's or anything new coming out, decommit and go to another platform because of one feature missing from the A77 and does that loss of committed profit justify the cost of developing that new feature. 99 times out of 100 the answer is no. Most of the A99 purchases were people who had A77's or A900's or had already invested in Sony and Sony knows this isn't because of one feature.

So I ask the man who invested $6400 in the A-mount. If your tethering feature were provided to you, what is the value? Can Sony count on you and everyone else who has this request purchasing enough product afterward to justify the development cost? How many people asking for this feature will be happy with their camera and not invest in the mount ever again? How many people will move on to complaining the next biggest perceived thing their camera doesn't do but Canon does? Think about this scenario: Would you sacrifice a few features your Sony has which Canon and Nikon don't to gain the biggest feature you perceive they don't? If I told you tethering would be gained at the sacrifice of Focus Peaking, would you take it? What if it broke Focus Peaking for the majority of us who don't care or need tethering? What if I told you you could have tethering but you had to buy a special adapter? How much would you spend to gain this feature? Or do you expect it for free? Sony has your money. All they have to gain is more money. If you go to Nikon or Canon, they still have your money from the A77 purchase. And they'll likely make money from whoever buys your camera from you if they purchase batteries, lenses, flashes, memory or anything else over the top of that used body.

Just think about those things. Is it fair? Maybe not. Remember, you agreed to the functionality the body when you handed over the money.

Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
Gunnar

of couse adding tethering does not give Sony a direct benefit and creates only costs for them but so does a support departement and any customer relations or advertisement expense. tethering i would say is an unavoidable feature as nowadays with wifi/phone/tablet connectivity cameras simply have to evolve in that direction so why do a half baked attempt instead of doing it properly and making your customers happy along the way? the problem Sony has is that it offers an exceptionaly great way into photography and also towards a semipro comitment but then leaves their ambitious customers alone with not offering the pro upgrade path.. the Nex7,A77 and even A99 are without doubt awesome cameras (2of which i own) but they are offering a lot more fun features than they offer in the pro department.. anyhow, to me tethering os just one of those pro features and probably the most expensive for Sony to get into, but in the long run its unavoidable.. and to answer one of your questions: i would love to have tethering for timelapse photography, so i can look at the sequence and adjust settings while shooting, all without touching the cam..in the best case adjusting settings could be animated too :smileywink:

of course we all bought our cameras already so we can only hope and suggest things to Sony but not demand :smileywink:

Please use plain text.