Alpha - SLT & DSLR Cameras

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Apprentice
Message 1 of 5 (1,880 Views)
Accepted Solution

Which flash to purchase for a6000 and a7rii

As a result of some recent training, I’ve set myself a goal to learn macro photography. I want to use my Sony a7rii or my a6000 with a zoom lens and extension tubes. I’d like to zoom in to be able to shoot without being that physically close to my subject (for example cactus and rattle snakes!). My first question is about wireless flash that works well with Sony because I want to use it with both cameras for fill light or main light. Any suggestions?

Professional
Message 2 of 5 (1,872 Views)

Re: Which flash to purchase for a6000 and a7rii

Flash for macrophotography, especially when used with long lenses and/or extension tubes can be tricky.

Have you considered a simple ring light?

¹ The Lens is the Thing
² 'Full Frame' is the new 'Medium Format'
³ "One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions." - Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot.
Apprentice
Message 3 of 5 (1,849 Views)

[ Edited ]

Yes. The advice I was given was that the light tends to be harsh and not controlled for artistic use. Do you agree?

Professional
Message 4 of 5 (1,821 Views)

The problem with using flash for macrophotography is that the lens barrel can block the light, even from off-camera flash, and you won't know it until you've reviewed the photo afterward. With a light, instead of a flash, you'll see the effect of the lighting in the viewfinder before you take the shot.

With a ring light (mounted on the lens barrel), you won't get any shadows. If by "artistic" you mean "strategically positioned shadows", then you can use an off-camera light. You might also benefit from a lightbox for small, inanimate subjects.

¹ The Lens is the Thing
² 'Full Frame' is the new 'Medium Format'
³ "One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions." - Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot.
Highlighted
Apprentice
Message 5 of 5 (1,808 Views)

Yes, that fits my vision. The Sony off camera flash is $400. Yikes. I don’t think I have to pay that much, not being a pro. Does anyone have a specific one that interfaces well with Sony?

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook