Welcome to the Community!

Alpha - SLT & DSLR Cameras

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Apprentice
Message 1 of 6 (633 Views)

Why is the A99ii still being limited to F3.5 for autofocus video

Why are we still limited to F3.5 for autofocus  in video?  The A99ii is a great camera, but its constantly be knocked down by reviewers for this arbitrary limitation.  Watch the reviews, they are all very critical of this issue.

We know, that AF does work in other apertures.  The A77 was able to auto focus with various apertures, using a workaround that was closed by firmware.  People can manually open their lenses, and maintain full autofocus.   This limit is arbitrary and it needs to be removed. 

Working with video on this camera is extremely frustrating, because without M/S, it completely changes how I normally interact with the camera.

Enthusiast
Message 2 of 6 (600 Views)

Re: Why is the A99ii still being limited to F3.5 for autofocus video

Good post and very much a shared opinion, although as to why we are stuck with this silly restriction, there is divided opinion on that:

1) carry over from previous gen AF limitations, principally at narrow apertures <f5.6-8 (but of course this doesn't explain the restriction to f3.5 if wider apertures available)?

2) desire to avoid competition with E Mount?

3) some other technical limitation?  

Almost everyone believes that if would be easy for Sony to allow AF from widest aperture to say f5.6.  Why they haven't allowed this, or whether this will be permitted in future firmware is anyone's guess.  I've learned to work around it. I haven't experimented with mechanically forced open aperture blades to see if AF defeated in video, so I guess that says I'm not experiencing this as a big restriction.  Unlike the 'experts' in the digital blogosphere, and some videographers, who just have a legit complaint.

Message 3 of 6 (533 Views)

Hi Kenmasters34 & Dfwatt,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Sony takes into consideration all feedback to improve the performance and quality of our products and services. We're always looking to make Sony better. 

We'll definitely forward this concern to the proper department.

You can also post your suggestions and ideas at the Join the Inspiration page. 

We appreciate your time sharing this feedback.

Regards,

-Anthony

Enthusiast
Message 4 of 6 (529 Views)

Dear Anthony

]I think if you go to some of the forums, particularly DPR, you will find dozens of posts and threads about this comcern.  It is probably the biggest legit complaint about the camera.  It is a spectacular camera IMHO, takes superb 4k video, and shouldn't be hamstrung by this kind of arbitrary video AF restriction.

Apprentice
Message 5 of 6 (494 Views)

[ Edited ]

@AnthonyCS
Yes please bring this to their attention.  You can watch or read almost any review of the A99ii, the Lack of AF in manual mode is a big knock on the A99ii.  It is definitly hurting the sales of the A99ii.

We know that the AF works with video in manual mode, the A77 could do it when it was first released(using some combination of buttons), until it was patched away.   Others have taped their Aperture levers wide open, and the camera autofocuses without issues. 

This must be fixed, it is not only crippling the camera, but the sales of the camera.   It also throws users, like myself, off their normal workflow, when they want to shoot video.   It is very offputting.

Highlighted
Rookie
Message 6 of 6 (370 Views)

Sony I would buy this camera today if autofocus worked in manual mode and the aperture was not locked to f3.5.

But as of now it currently does not. Please speed up the firmware update!

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook