Welcome to the Community!

Alpha - SLT & DSLR Cameras

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Rookie
Message 1 of 37 (23,454 Views)

a6000 doesn't recognize lens that came with camera

I just bought an a6000 Sony camera and when I try to take a picture i get the message to "Check that lens is mounted."  I have the Sony 16-50 zoom lens that came with the camera.  I have taken the lens off and remounted it several times, but still get the same message.  

Apprentice
Message 2 of 37 (23,418 Views)

Re: a6000 doesn't recognize lens that came with camera

i had the same issue with my a5000. after getting the run around from sony for over a week i finally posted something on there customer relations page. hope you get a better response then i did but this has been my experience so far with them: 

Description: Sony A5000

Purchased: February 13, 2015 NEW at Best Buy.

May 1:

Day one of my vacation, wake up and decide  to take a picture of the view off the back balcony and camera worked fine; turned the camera off, put the lens cap on and walked out the front door to take a picture of the view from the front door.  Took off the lens cap, turned camera on, and the screen read “cannot recognize lens.” At no point in time between the last picture and the “cannot recognize lens” reading did I put the camera down. I called Sony right away and they said when I get back to the states I could send my camera off for repair and providing there’s no physical damage this would be covered under the manufacturer’s warranty.

Fast Forward to May 18:

Come home from vacation and call Sony they created a service order for me to print off and ship my camera to Precision Repair to have my camera fixed.  I decided on my way to the post office to stop in to Best Buy and see if maybe it was a setting on the camera that was messing up or if it was a simple fix they could assist me with. The Geeksquad told me that they could go ahead and mail it out for me and save me a trip to the post office. The guy behind the counter that packaged it up even told me he had the SAME EXACT CAMERA and LENS and had the same problem with his a couple months after he purchased his camera so not to worry it was a “common problem” and would be easily fixed.

Fast Forward to May 25:

Precision camera calls and leaves a voicemail stating that Sony has rejected covering the repairs under the manufactures warranty and the cost will be $114. I called COUNTLESS times for 4 days to get into contact with anyone at Precision Camera to find out why they rejected the claim the phone would ring for 5 minutes or so no one would answer and there was never the chance to leave a voicemail. Finally on Thursday May 28th I decided to just contact Sony directly and find out what the issue was. The first person that I spoke with said that they couldn’t see why my claim had been rejected but that they would create a Reference # for me and someone from Sony would contact me within 48 hours. The next morning Friday May 29th I tried one last time to get in touch with someone at Precision Camera and after looking up a different contact number for them online someone finally answered the phone. The woman I spoke with said that my lens was dented and due to physical damage Sony wouldn’t cover my repairs under warranty. Since Sony has such a long turnaround time of contacting their customers I decided to call Sony back and give them the latest information about the damage they are saying my camera had upon arrival. The man that I spoke with was SO RUDE. He kept cutting me off, and eventually began yelling at me stating that “Sony was TAKING CARE OF IT” and if I would “just stop calling they would be able to fix my problem but I keep bothering them so no one can fix anything” I told him that the reason I was calling wasn’t to tell him the same thing as yesterday it was to let them know that I have paperwork from Best Buy that notes the Physical Appearance of my Camera upon drop off and they did not indicate any damage to my lens and Best Buy is willing to vouch for the fact that it was damaged during shipping or while in the possession of Precision Camera. He did not want to hear what I had to say and asked me if I was “done talking” so he could explain to me that “someone would call me back in 48 hours” and I could “tell them my problems.” He also told me that I probably “ran into a door while walking through the house” and that’s why my camera stopped working.  Due to all the interrupting, yelling, and his rude demeanor I asked him if he could escalate me to his manager to complain about the customer service I was receiving. He told me he had no manager to push me through to and he could create a reference number for me and someone would call me back within 48 hours to talk to me about my issues with him.  I told him I found it odd that Sony wouldn’t have live escalation for a customer service problem and he hung up on me. By the end of the day Friday May 29th Best Buy called me and told me they had viewed the photos of my lens and that there was no way that it was shipped that way and they had sent documentation to Precision Camera to try to speed up the process of getting my camera fixed and to call them back Monday morning to check and see if Precision Camera had reached out to them.

This morning Monday June 1:

Call The Geeksquad they had yet to hear back from Precision Camera (what a surprise!) so they were going to file the paperwork to escalate my issue and get it handled faster. After speaking to them I called Sony because it had been over 48 hours since they told me someone would call me back. The man that I spoke to told me that his records indicated that my reference number was created May 31 (LIE) and that I could expect a phone call back within 4 business days (because 48 business hours is calculated by an 8 hour business day). He told me that “although I am frustrated with everything if I look at it from an outside perspective my situation is quite amusing and I should try to laugh more.”

At this point I am beyond frustrated with the lack of concern Sony has for their customers. My camera has been sitting in a repair facility for 2 weeks now and nothing has been done. I have yet to hear back from anyone at Sony and they are giving me the run around. I will never purchase anything from Sony EVER again. They do not care about their customers as is apparent by their “customer service representatives” that they have manning the front lines and the lack of urgency in their response times. I am going on another vacation June 23 and at this rate will still be in an endless game of phone tag with Sony and Precision Camera.

After reading online about others troubles with Sony I am happy that I am not alone but it is sad to me that despite numerous complains you guys aren’t getting your act together. I have also read numerous accounts online of others having the same issues with the stock lens that comes with the Alpha 5000 so it’s obvious the lens I received was a lemon. All I can say is THANK GOD I shipped my camera out through a third party that is standing behind their customers and not walking all over them like Sony does. The cost is $114 to repair my camera Sony should have just ate the cost from the beginning and fixed my lens.

Message 3 of 37 (23,364 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi rtsmth,

Welcome to the Sony Community!

Please try the troubleshooting steps below to resolve the issue:

1. Turn the camera off and remove the lens from the body.
2. Check the terminals of both the camera and lens for debris or bent pins.

• Clean the terminals carefully so as to prevent dust going inside the units.
  • In case of bent pins, service may be required.

3. If there are no bent pins, reattach the lens to the camera and turn it on.

4. If issue is still unresolved, attach a different lens.

Note: If issue does not occur when a diifferent lens is attached, send the lens in for repair. But if the error message reappears, the camera body would need to be sent in.

*** An update on jhamilton37's case, he's been contacted by our Customer Relations department and being assisted accordingly.

If my post answers your question, please mark it as "Accept as Solution". Thanks_Mitch

Rookie
Message 4 of 37 (23,319 Views)

I took it back to Best Buy, They couldn't get it to recognize the lens, either, so they replaced the camera for me. ~rtsmth
Expert
Message 5 of 37 (23,301 Views)

Hi rtsmith,

We're sorry for the inconvinience caused by the lens recognition problem. However, It's good to hear that they already replaced your camera.

Thanks for choosing Sony!

-Anthony

Enthusiast
Message 6 of 37 (21,265 Views)

I have the same problem with my A6000.   I've checked all the pins etc.   At first it was just the stock 16-50 lens but now the 55-120 lens is doing the same thing!    I'm of course out of warranty.    What is going on with Sony quality?   I bought a 1.8 prime and now I'm just waiting for that one to stop working.    

At first I was telling everyone to buy this camera but now, little more than a year after buying, I want to run around town telling people to stay away..   

So dissappointed.

db

Apprentice
Message 7 of 37 (21,245 Views)

Hi I'm having the same problem with my a6300 - what a disappointment. To top it off, Sony is telling me I will need to bear the cost of repairing or replacing this camera even though I purchased it just 3 weeks ago! The retailer is back in the UK where I purchased the camera and has no idea about the "tourist warranty" that Sony supposedly offers. I've bought Sony products for the last 10 years and was so pumped about this camera but this is a genuine disappointment.

Enthusiast
Message 8 of 37 (21,189 Views)

So what is the resolution for all of the people I see online with this issue?  It is clearly a defect in the camera or lens.    Will Sony honor fixing this issue outside of warranty?

Message 9 of 37 (21,093 Views)

Hi, 

We're saddened to hear that the camera failed to meet your needs. If the lens is not being recognized and you do not have other lens in the camera, make sure to clean the contacts with a clean cloth. You can also use a pencil eraser to clean the contacts. If the lens is still not recognize and you only have one lens, please send both the lens and camera body so that technician can replicate and diagnose the issue. 

We do appreciate the time you are taking to let us know about your Sony product. Anything outside of the Limited Warranty, does require a charge. 

For deanbrady, you may check with http://www.precisioncamera.com/ here in the US.

For mitalmig, please contact the Sony offices/Sony representative offices nearest to your place of residence in Asia Pacific region http://www.sony-asia.com/countryselector.html?hpid=countryselector:AsiaPacific. Due to proximity, they are in a better position to respond to your questions or concerns.

Best regards,

Zander

Enthusiast
Message 10 of 37 (21,080 Views)

I have 3 lens. the kit lens and the 55-120 are both not working. I just bought a 1.8 prime and waiting for it to fail as well. All of the contacts have been cleaned and I've tried numerous other "fixes" I've read. No luck. At this point I guess I get to send them all in and probably pay more than the camera to fix a defective product.

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook