Welcome to the Community!

Alpha - SLT & DSLR Cameras

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Enthusiast
Message 21 of 37 (2,450 Views)

Re: a6000 doesn't recognize lens that came with camera

Is there a way to check the warranty date based serial number? I can't find my receipt now (of course) and while I think its over a year, it would be good to know for sure.
Message 22 of 37 (2,430 Views)

Hi deanbrady,

Welcome to the Sony Community!

Sorry but there is no way to check the warranty just by basing on the serial number. You may check with the store where you purchased the unit from. They might be able to help yuo find the date of purchase from their records. 

Best regards,

Zander

Enthusiast
Message 23 of 37 (2,419 Views)

I bought the camera and extra lens in late 2014 so its over a year on both.

Message 24 of 37 (2,395 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi deanbrady,

Sorry to hear that. Please detach the SELP1650 lens and clean the metal contacts with pencil eraser. Wipe it after with a clean cloth. Also check the metal pins in the camera body then test if the lens will be recognized. 

If the issue is still the same, the unit will require repair. Please send both the lens and camera body so that technician can isolate the issue properly. You may create the service request here

Best regards, 

Zander

Rookie
Message 25 of 37 (2,034 Views)

Too doubtful to take camera to Precision Camera Repair as I have read the horrible reviews.  Alpha A6000 sitting in the case for 3 months due to lens not detected issue. I have 3 lenses by the way and I know the body is the problem.  Read al the responses from this forum and it's too expensive to get a new body since I just bought this camera a little over a year ago and  I'm afraid it will have the same defect after awhile. I have 2 Canon SLR camera so I said what the heck if i make this A6000 a lot worst than it's current state, so be it. I'll just sell it on e-bay as for repair, together with the 3 lenses and F32M flash.  So I grabbed my sons pencil and rubbed it on the contacts (in the body) a little harder (than I previously did a few months ago), left going to right and right going to the left with just mindful that i don't want to have the debris fall inside the lens (rectangular). One  direction sinks the lenses and the other resist it when rubbing to the top of the contacts. Then i rubbed the contact on both sides. Connected one of the lens and it started to work. I tried rotating 3 times with my other 2 lenses and it failed again. Rubbed it again with the pencil eraser and it worked flawlessly again. Put my walk around lens and I decided just to keep it there and avoid swapping it again as long as it's working. Will I buy a Sony camera again? I don't know, I kind of lost my confidence with this camera which is not cheap by the way. Last time I checked I have less than 300 actuations and then this? Not acceptable as I'm always careful in handling my gadgets.  This issue is epidemic, this is a flaw. This is my wife's camera and I am getting ready to get in the band wagon and buy the Sony A7 and use it for traveling and the Canon for home pictures. But right now I don't want to  take the risk.

Enthusiast
Message 26 of 37 (1,921 Views)

I think I had the same issue and I'm glad to report that I fixed it. The problem is a stuck zoom motor. If you notice, when you turn the camera on, the aperture blinks 3 times with about 2 seconds in between, followed immediately by the aforementioned error message. You'll also notice that the lens doesn't stretch out as it typically does upon start. If you're NOT on warranty anymore, are handy with tools and need to shoot literally the next day, feel free to try this:

1. Use a fine phillips screwdriver and take the mounting plate off. Be REALLY careful, it's connected to the rest of the lens via a delicate ribbon cable. if you snap it, the lens is toast.

DSC_0307.JPG 

DSC_0309.JPG

2. If you connect the piece that's in my right hand back to the camera and turn it on, you'll notice the eye-piece in the center of the lens will try to move in and out 3 times. but the lens won't zooom. you don't have to do it but it's a good way to see what exactly is wrong and how it looks from within.

3. See the planetary gear near the rim? push it gently with a small flathead. you only want to turn it a few millimeters, maybe 3-4, that's all. There is a lot of friction there so you'll have to push a little harder. Just make sure you have a good grip in the teeth with the flathead and it doesn't slip out and damage something else.

DSC_0311.JPG

What this will do is manually push out the zoom by a few mm. you'll notice that the lens will rise up a bit from the tabletop:

DSC_0312.JPG

4. This should work now. if you connect the detached rear plate back to camera [again be careful with the ribbon cable], and turn it on, the lens should extend fullty now. 

DSC_0313.JPG

Try at your own risk, of course, but this worked for me. Hope this helps you too!

0l0id

Rookie
Message 27 of 37 (1,705 Views)

I wish I felt comfortable doing this! I am in the same situation - invested in the A6000, kit lens not recognized (my other 2 lenses are fine). I'd been planning to buy a prime lens for the camera, but if Sony's products are this bad JUST OUT OF WARRANTY, I might just sell off the entire unit and buy something else - NOT SONY. I am not a happy camper.

Rookie
Message 28 of 37 (1,705 Views)

This will be the 3rd service call on my A6000 kit lens or camera in a year. Now I'm getting the "doesn't recognize the lens" message too. I'm very glad I purchased a 3-yr extended warranty at Best Buy, and will take it there today. My reviews of the camera and lens are being changed to reflect this poor quality.  My macro and zoom lenses appear to be fine for now. I am regretting purchasing this camera as a result.

Rookie
Message 29 of 37 (1,705 Views)

I did try your suggestions, but that didn't work for me. Glad I have a three year extended warranty with Best Buy. This unit is only 14 months old and it has been in the shop 3 times already.

Enthusiast
Message 30 of 37 (1,692 Views)

Nancy,

Sorry to hear that. Hope Bestbuy can still replace it for you. I'm kinda eating my words for lunch today anyway because a couple weeks after I fixed it, the problem started again and now the only way to use the lens is to pull it out manually by hand every time. Which of course won't cut it.

I'm still convinced that it's the zoom motor, but I'm really skeptical about my ability to do any actual replacements in it, so I think I'm throwing in the towel. Gonna use manual lenses for now.

Good luck,

0l0id

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook