Welcome to the Community!

Alpha - SLT & DSLR Cameras

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Rookie
Message 1 of 2 (780 Views)

bulb mode control in firmware/ for external software - Sony ILCE-7s / A7s

Hi, congratulations to Sony for producing such an amazing low light camera! I and a few others are using it for Astrophotography with very impressive results, eg see my Flickr page here. I used to own a Canon 5d mark III, I sold it as soon as I saw the fantastic results from the Sony. 

The only frustrating feature of the camera / software is the lack of full bulb control via the PC or external software. We astrophotographers often schedule long exposures of, say, 20 shots of 8 minutes to get the results you see. I am using a cheap intervalometer, but remote control, capture and review of pictures on the PC is really essential to maximise quality of the shots. Why is it that Canon's remote control software allows longer than 30 secs exposures and Sony's not?

I am aware of a couple of software developers, eg Astro photography Tools (APT) who are being frustrated by what I would imagine would be a fairly easy firmware fix. 

Happy to explain more if needed. Keep up the good work Sony!

Simon

Expert
Message 2 of 2 (754 Views)

Re: bulb mode control in firmware/ for external software - Sony ILCE-7s / A7s

Unfortunately, Sony was never strong in the software side of things, and hopefully this is something they'll be able to improve on in the future.

However, feel free to try suggesting this function on their inspiration thread:
http://community.sony.com/t5/Join-the-Inspiration/idb-p/ideas

Explain what it is, and hopefully it'll help them know what to do.

Good luck
Best regards,
David Tran

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook