Welcome to the Community!

Alpha - SLT & DSLR Cameras

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Enthusiast
Message 1 of 49 (9,006 Views)

"Warning you are in NTSC Mode" wtf?

like the topic says, I live in Europe and I have a Sony Alpha 7s. I want to create Multimedia (Web) Videos. Well it should be obvious, why I have to switch from 50hz to 60hz FPS (because the whole computer world is 60/30hz and using 50hz creates micro stutters)

so far so good, no big thing one may think

but...

EVERYTIME I TURN ON MY ****** CAMERA I GET THIS ANNOYING WARNING SCREEN "You are in NTSC Mode bla bla"

I read somewhere that you can NOT turn this off? Seriously???? I mean wtf Sony is wrong with you? I have now a inacceptable long boot up time and everytime it bugs me with this bs. Show this screen 1 time (if you must), but not every time I turn on the cam! What were you thinking????

I demand to fix this major issue with the next update!

Message 2 of 49 (8,961 Views)

Re: "Warning you are in NTSC Mode" wtf?

Hi Trebau,

Welcome to the Sony Community!

We can feel your frustration on this but this is normal operation for units that are native to PAL settings. We will also forward your request to the engineering department for future product developments.

If you have any concerns with your Sony products, kindly visit our Sony Global Web site for information on contacting the Sony Support Center in your region at http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/Support/.

If my post answers your question, please mark it as "Accept as Solution". Thanks_Mitch

Enthusiast
Message 3 of 49 (8,946 Views)

[ Edited ]

we live in 2015, there is no "native PAL" or "native NTSC"

If I live in Germany and want to sell my footage in the USA, then I need to record in NTSC

If I want to upload clips on Youtube (30/60 FPS) I need NTSC

If I want to burn on Blu-Ray Disc, I need 24fps

yes you are right, If I want to watch my private wedding video on my home TV, I will probbably film in Pal 50hz, (but even my german Flat-TV could display NTSC!!).

But if I want to watch my hobby films on my TV, I would surely not spend >5000€ in cameras and lenses!

so whats all this fuss about?

Expert
Message 4 of 49 (8,934 Views)

Well... true... there's no "native PAL/NTSC" anymore, so with the same concept, why not record in PAL whilst your customers in USA watch it in PAL too?

Since with how computers and TVs and everything works these days, PAL and NTSC is almost... irrelevant?

I feel these restrictions isn't Sony's fault, but more so the country's fault, as in, local standardisation. A country runs things in a certain way, to sell products into that country, you need to meet it's criteria and standards. So even if you want NTSC support, your country standard is PAL, Sony has to abide.

Now, one option for Sony however is, maybe they can offer both into one camera? The ability to switch from PAL to NTSC, and vice versa? Or again, maybe there are issues regarding local standardisation again?

But once again, with the argument of "there is no "native PAL" or "native NTSC"", why does it matter if you have to shoot in PAL? Anyone, any customer, can still watch it...
Best regards,
David Tran
Enthusiast
Message 5 of 49 (8,897 Views)

I have a 60i (USA market) A7s and it also bothers me with the NTSC mode message (this is unusual as most american models do not do this). A way to disable it would be great.

Enthusiast
Message 6 of 49 (8,888 Views)

bitsnpieces wrote:
I feel these restrictions isn't Sony's fault
but its Sony's fault, to display this annoying warning text every time

bitsnpieces wrote:
But once again, with the argument of "there is no "native PAL" or "native NTSC"", why does it matter if you have to shoot in PAL? Anyone, any customer, can still watch it...
are you serious? Smiley Happy
It makes a HUGE difference, if you watch a 50hz recorded movie on the Web/Youtube/60hzComputerTFT or a native 60hz recorded video.
The native 60hz runs ultra smooth, while the 50hz will have micro stutter and judder all the way. Its terrible to watch and looks unprofessional.

Its quite logical. If your video sends 50 frames in a second to your monitor, and your monitor has a refresh rate of 60hz, then you have 10 frames to fill with garbage every second.

Nowadays, 99% of the worlds computer monitors run at 60hz /120hz. So if you want to produce web clips and want to look great, you NEED to record in NTSC/60hz

Enthusiast
Message 7 of 49 (8,866 Views)

So you're saying all Europe countries working in 25fps are "unprofessional" and that all their video looks jittery on computers...?

TV stations, video producers, film makers, bluray DVDs playing in 25p... I think you are mistaken.

You need to understand that the frequency is based on the electrical grid system, which in Europe is 50hz and 60 hz in the US. so a PC monitor running on 60hz in a 50hz grid country should be rather off on your books, but it obviously isn't.

Apprentice
Message 8 of 49 (8,850 Views)

[ Edited ]

bitsnpieces wrote:
Well... true... there's no "native PAL/NTSC" anymore, so with the same concept, why not record in PAL whilst your customers in USA watch it in PAL too?

One reason is that our customers may legitimately demand NTSC to broadcast on their local TV, say. However, IMO the argument that the computerized world uses 30/60 Hz is winning by itself. Yet, for me it's a matter of getting the most out of my equipment. Imagine I wish to slow-mo my video, halving 50 to 25 fps or 60 to 30 fps. Even though you may argue that there is no perceivable difference between 50 and 60 fps, 25 does definitely look jittery compared to 30 fps. I may use your equipment for computer-vision purposes, where those extra 10 fps matter, or what not... In the end of the day Sony manufactures equipment, good equipment, and it should not put artificial regional-based limitations on this equipment.

bitsnpieces wrote:
[...] I feel these restrictions isn't Sony's fault, but more so the country's fault, as in, local standardisation. A country runs things in a certain way, to sell products into that country, you need to meet it's criteria and standards. So even if you want NTSC support, your country standard is PAL, Sony has to abide.

This isn't true. If we had talked about wireless, then yes, the frequencies would be regulated and law-enforced. But analog television standards are industry standards, and I believe that no western democracy prohibits importing digital equipment that supports other standards or multiple standards simultaneously.

bitsnpieces wrote:
Now, one option for Sony however is, maybe they can offer both into one camera? The ability to switch from PAL to NTSC, and vice versa? [...]

This is definitely what I expect from Sony to implement. Actually... Wait... It has already done that! This whole thread is about an annoying warning that appears on those models which have the PAL/NTSC switch implemented and working. So there is no technology barrier, and most likely those cameras which do not support the PAL/NTSC switch are simply firmware limited for some mysterious (political?) reasons. At least I can say for sure that the warning was put there on purpose, for no apparent reason.

Enthusiast
Message 9 of 49 (8,837 Views)

[ Edited ]

Trebau wrote:

bitsnpieces wrote:
I feel these restrictions isn't Sony's fault
but its Sony's fault, to display this annoying warning text every time

bitsnpieces wrote:
are you serious? Smiley Happy
It makes a HUGE difference, if you watch a 50hz recorded movie on the Web/Youtube/60hzComputerTFT or a native 60hz recorded video.
The native 60hz runs ultra smooth, while the 50hz will have micro stutter and judder all the way. Its terrible to watch and looks unprofessional.

Its quite logical. If your video sends 50 frames in a second to your monitor, and your monitor has a refresh rate of 60hz, then you have 10 frames to fill with garbage every second.

Nowadays, 99% of the worlds computer monitors run at 60hz /120hz. So if you want to produce web clips and want to look great, you NEED to record in NTSC/60hz

Well it's not quite that easy. here's from another forum, where someone knowledgable explained it thoroughly:

"At playback time frames will be repeated as necessary to get from 25 fps to 60 fps. For each second of video, 15 frames are played twice and 10 frames are played 3 times. It amounts to a 2:3:2:3:2 pattern of repetition, though it's actually dynamic and determined automatically by the video subsystem, not the playback software.

For 24 fps content played at 60 fps, it's similar: 12 frames in each second are played 3 times, and 12 are played two times, in a 3:2 repeating pattern. It's called 3:2 pull-down.

When the playback frame rate is much higher than the content frame rate (by a factor of roughly 2.5 or more), our eyes aren't too sensitive to the repetition or its pattern. At smaller ratios, irregularities in the repetition pattern can become noticeable, so the repetition should be kept regular or avoided altogether by blending or interpolating frames. Converting from 50 fps to 60 fps, for example, doesn't look good when it's done by repeating frames."

That being said, neither I or anyone I know has ever had an issue with a 60hz monitor and 24p or 25p footage.

Enthusiast
Message 10 of 49 (8,698 Views)

This really needs to get fixed. It stops me using this camera to it's full potential.

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook