Welcome to the Community!

Alpha - SLT & DSLR Cameras

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted
Rookie
Message 1 of 2 (871 Views)

slt-57 shutter speed maximum locks at 1/160 sometimes and won't adjust higher! help?

I notice in manual mode using a variety of lenses, that the camera won't allow me to adjust the shutter speed beyond 1/160.  In auto modes the camera will adjust aperture or iso but the shutter speed maximum never gets beyond 1/160.  I haven't tried sport mode yet to see if the problem disappears.  Sometimes turning the front shutter curtain off helps but it still shows up even in the middle of a shot....I'll set the shutter speed at say 1/500...then it will inexplicably revert back to 1/160.  I can adjust to lower speeds down to bulb but it won't adjust higher than 1/160.  Putting in a fresh battery seems to help temporarily for a few shots but then the problem reappears.  It does seem to be intermittent with the problem not showing up at all...  Is it a setting issue or an overheat issue?  Does seem to happen in the mornings which makes me think moisture and condensation some where.  I first noticed it using my 30mm sony macro lens...battery was at 60 per cent but it had been in the camera a while.  Turning off and on helps sometimes.....Are there hard stops when it comes to exposures and limits I don't know about?

Expert
Message 2 of 2 (865 Views)

Re: slt-57 shutter speed maximum locks at 1/160 sometimes and won't adjust higher! help?

The camera's flash sync speed is rated at 1/160th of a second. Whenever you are using the camera's built-in flash, you will not be able to set the shutter speed any faster than 1/160. Please check if the issue occurs without flash use.

If my post answers your question, please mark it as "Accept as Solution"

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook