Welcome to the Community!

Alpha - SLT & DSLR Cameras

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Expert
Message 21 of 193 (1,008 Views)

Re: star-eater algorithm in Bulb-mode shots - please offer alternative

I've just posted here on the FredMiranda Sony forum results from a careful testing of the practical significance of this for astrophotography. There hasn't been a lot of reaction, so it might just be those of us who are into astrophotography that are mainly affected by this - in which case it looks like we'll be forced into trying to find work-arounds ourselves. I'm continuing to test to see if the filtering is disabled by any of the other camera settings with which it might interact, but haven't had any success so far.

-John

Apprentice
Message 22 of 193 (999 Views)

[ Edited ]

I'm also interested in a workaround until Sony fixes this e.g, :

1. does anyone know if it's possible to downgrade from 3.30 to 3.20 or 3.00?

2. has anyone tested shutting down the camera right after taking a picture (>3.2 sec) and just bfore the algorithm is applied?

3. any luck with tricking Playmemories apps like timelapse, star trails into outputting unedited RAW?

Apprentice
Message 23 of 193 (944 Views)

I bet you would get a lot more traction on Cloudynights.com - I posted a link in my original/first post. It's astronomy dedicated forum and while there was a lot of enthusiasm for Sony, especially with the release of the original A7S and A7SII, this problem is well known there and Sony is unfortunately avoided. It's a shame.
Expert
Message 24 of 193 (910 Views)

I've explored the use of the timelapse app, and it makes no difference. Last night I also compared 3.2 and 4 seconds images taken with different combinations of fully manual shutter, electronic first curtain, silent shutter, and compressed and non-compressed raw. Results were consistent - all the 3.2 second images contained a lot more detail with all the 4 second images displaying spatial filtering effects leading to star loss. 

I'm now intending to explore work arounds - a backwards install of f/w 3 would be one possible, but I've searched on the net, without success. The best alternative would seem to be to raise iso, shoot lots of images, and average to compensate for the noise resulting from the higher iso. What a silly predicament!

-John

Expert
Message 25 of 193 (906 Views)

@AnthonyCS, are you able to comment on access to previous versions of the firmware? This would seem to be a reasonable workaround for us if we could access v. 3.2 - how would Sony view that?

-John

Expert
Message 26 of 193 (904 Views)

I just found this on the Sony site:

• WARNING: This Digital Camera firmware update and any changes incurred by it are permanent. It is not possible to return to a previous firmware version after updating this firmware. By continuing this update process and downloading and updating this firmware, you acknowledge that you are aware and understand that this update cannot be reversed.

So looks like we are cooked on that front...

-John

Apprentice
Message 27 of 193 (903 Views)

Thanks for the thorough work Navmannz - I do want to make clear though that I hope Sony provides an option to turn of spacial filtering not just for timed exposures (a recent phenomenon) but also for BULB exposures (something they've employed spatial filtering on all along).
Expert
Message 28 of 193 (899 Views)

I agree entirely about Sony's need to step up and restore the camera functionality that we once enjoyed, at least for exposures out to 30 seconds. However, given their lack of response here, I'm not holding my breath - and I would like to use my camera in the meantime. I have too much invested to shift to Canon or Nikon.

-John

Apprentice
Message 29 of 193 (860 Views)

I can only hope that Sony steps up its game, because I am seriously considering selling my A7R2 + lenses, buying Canon/Nikon and never looking back again. 

Highlighted
Expert
Message 30 of 193 (854 Views)

That would be a pity, but understandable if astro is a big part of your interest. I've never had such performance for landscape photography as I have with my A7RII and Zeiss lenses, and I've used everything from 4x5 cut film up. To me this lack of response to endusers is the one significant gap in Sony's approach that will stop them being considered alongside Canon and Nikon as genuine pro camera producers - they don't seem to get that, sadly...

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook