Language: English / Spanish

welcome to Sony's community site

Get involved! Whether you are here to ask or give help - we are happy you stopped by and look forward to seeing you in the future! Please watch our Welcome Video to get started.

Blu-Ray - General

Tuning Up
varjabed
Accepted Solution

3D Blu-ray disc on BDP-S5100 not playing, stuck on screen stating needs a 3D player.

I just bought a BDP-S5100 3D Blu-ray player.  I have Panasonic 3D plasma TV.  When I tried to play a 3D Blu-ray disc, a blue screen stating, in multiple languages, that the disc requires a 3D player came up and it never advanced past that.  The player is playing a normal Blu-ray disc just fine.  I don't have any other 3D discs or another 3D player (this is my first entry into Blu-ray and 3D), so I can't test to see if the problem is with the player or the disc.  Has anyone seen this before?  Is there something I can do to get the disc to play, or is this a fatal error?  Thanks!

Please use plain text.
Tuning Up
varjabed

Re: 3D Blu-ray disc on BDP-S5100 not playing, stuck on screen stating needs a 3D player.

I just realized what the problem is.  My Blu-ray player is going through my surround sound receiver and then going to my TV.  I guess that prevents the proper signal from getting through, so the 3D player doesn't recognize or can't properly connect to the 3D TV.  I just connected the S5100 directly to my TV and the 3D disc is playing fine.  I used a digital audio coax cable from the S5100 into my tuner so now I have surround again.

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
AnotherDave

Re: 3D Blu-ray disc on BDP-S5100 not playing, stuck on screen stating needs a 3D player.

Thanks for posting your experience!

I just got the BDP-S5100 and a nice 3D HDTV recently, sat down all excited to watch "Star Trek : Int Darkness" in 3D.

Popped in the disk and it won't play. Just sits on that blue screen saying "this blu-ray disc requires a 3d player ... etc..." just like you mentioned.

After reading your post, but not having a coaxial cable handy, I did something similar:

I ran the HDMI out of the S5100 to an input on the TV, and ran an Optical Digital Audio cable out of the TV to an Optical AV input in the back of my receiver.

This is almost a total success!

I say almost because - now I can watch the 3D movie, but something isn't right with the sound. Hard to explain - it's listenable, but the audio seems very lacking and it seems like most of the sound is focused on the center speaker, with not much going to the 4 surround speakers. I have a 5.1 system and I checked to make sure that the receiver is set properly, and I'm getting perfect sound from apps built into the TV (like Netflix etc..), but the sound from the BD player is lacking something now.

BTW - you might find this helpful to know if you didn't already - apparently only some receivers have the problem you and I have posted in this thread. There are receivers on the market now that properly pass-thru the 3D signal via HDMI so that this issue can be avoided all together. It's just a matter of coming up with the cash to buy a new receiver :smileysad:

Please use plain text.
BrianP

Hi AnotherDave! 

For us to further assist you, please provide more information. Have you tried a different 3D movie? If yes, do you still have the same issue? 

Please use plain text.