Welcome to the Community!

Blu-Ray - General

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Rookie
Message 1 of 8 (962 Views)

BDP-S5500 Dead after 13 months

Truly disappointed with Sony. Long time Sony user as well. My BDP S5500 just stopped working after exactly 13 months. The disc tray no longer opens, and I've followed the procedures of rebooting the players, as suggested in other posts. No response. I don't even get the option of resetting the machine as it doesn't even load the player's menu.

I still have my first Sony dvd player that I bought in 1996, which was built like a tank, and still works.

I purchased the Blu ray player at Best Buy Canada, and of course, the machine is out of warranty from both Best Buy and Sony.

What happened to the days of making products that last?

Message 2 of 8 (913 Views)

Re: BDP-S5500 Dead after 13 months

Hi luisduo1969,

Welcome to the SONY Community!

We regret that the Blu-ray did not live up to your expectations. We recommend to try the step below for additional troubleshooting.

Perform these steps to get back to the menus screen with the assistance of a second person:

1. Press and Hold the power button in the unit.
2. Unplug the power cord for about 10-15 seconds. (Do not release the power button yet)
3. Reconnect the power cord then release the power button and wait for the player to turn on or restart.

If the is unresolved, service is required. https://esupport.sony.com/CA/p/service.pl

Regards,

~Erin

If my post answers your question, please click the button below "Accept as Solution".

Rookie
Message 3 of 8 (889 Views)

Tried that several times and no changes in the machine. As soon I plug the machine in, the power comes on and the power is unresponsive. Machine is now an expensive paper weight. Upgrading to the new Oppo machine. At least they stand behind their products.

Enthusiast
Message 4 of 8 (743 Views)

I have a similar problem. I was trying to do a firwmare update, but it wouldnt take. Now the unit will not power up properly. The DVD player will flash the SONY DVD splash, show the main screen with all of the app options, and then immediately shut down. When i try to plug pull to force a reset, it just does the same thing. The fact that the unit power will not cycle off tells me that something is very wrong with the player. The green 'On' button is always solid. So I cant say if update would even work. Very said since i feel like I should just throw the player  in the garbage but i paid good money for it

Message 5 of 8 (711 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi, Gravy_man

Welcome to Sony Community! 

For us to have an accurate troubleshooting steps, may we have the exact model number of your Sony Blu-ray player. 

Thanks,

Vincent 

Enthusiast
Message 6 of 8 (702 Views)

[ Edited ]

Model BDP-S5500

No: 1*91**0 5C

Have had it unplugged from power and HMDI source since last week and still does the same thing. See menu screen for a split second and then it goes right to black with a frozen remote and frozen power button on 'green'

Highlighted
Message 7 of 8 (606 Views)

Hi, Gravy_man

Was there a power interruption when you were trying to update the firmware of the player? Perhaps the firmware is not properly installed or corrupted. Try the steps here to troubleshoot the remote control: https://us.en.kb.sony.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/63727. You may also try to manually installed the updates: https://esupport.sony.com/US/p/swu-download.pl?mdl=BDPS5500&upd_id=11055&os_group_id=23 as see if this process will push through. 

Best regards,

Vincent 

If my post answers your question, please mark it as "Accept as Solution"

Enthusiast
Message 8 of 8 (586 Views)

Hi Vincent. There was never a power interuption. The unit now goes into complete frozen mode which means that remote inputs dont work but i also can not power the unit down since the power button is locked 'on' and that is why i said that it just stays green. I need to unplug power from unit to have it turn off, but then it just freezes again to a black screen upon reboot. 

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook