Language: English / Spanish

welcome to Sony's community site

Get involved! Whether you are here to ask or give help - we are happy you stopped by and look forward to seeing you in the future! Please watch our Welcome Video to get started.

Blu-Ray - General

Occasional Contributor
USER-976572
Accepted Solution

BDP-S570 -> How to use subtitles in USB playback

I have a BDP-S570 and I use my external HDD to play movies, however I have not been able to use subtitles.
The subtitles I have are in .srt format and they used to work with my Sony DVD player without any problems.
The subtitles have the exact same name as the movie file (except for the extention, of course) and are in the same directory, but when I push the "subtitle" button in the remote nothing happens.

Is there something I need to do?

Thanks.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
USER-976572

Re: BDP-S570 -> How to use subtitles in USB playback

Well, no help from Sony, but I did find out on my own how to do this.

If anyone else is having this problem here's what you do.
Change the subtitles from .srt to .txt and it`ll start working.
Remember, both the video and subtitle files must have the same name.

Regards.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
USER-964289

One more time, SONY is changing the standard rolls!!

if everybody knows that SRT is one of subtitle standard.. why change to TXT?

SONY TEAM = Please pay attention to the customers! We know that you know how improve your products! Just do it!
Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
USER-976572

Doesn't work for all movies. Only some movies work with .txt subtitles.
Anyone knows how to get this to work?
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
USER-923156

I have two followup questions from this thread.

1. Does this discussion refer to have subtitles in a separate file from the container file having the video and audio? Because...

2. I have an .mp4 video file on my HDD. The video and original language play fine on the BDP. But when I press the subtitle button, nothing happens. I examined the file using Quicktime on my Mac. No subtitles show up. I examined the file using VLC and there is a subtitle track for English which I can enable and see subtitles. Does anyone know why the Sony BDP does not see any subtitles?

I am inferring if 2 software players such as QT and VLC process subtitle differently (one sees the track the other doesn't), then it is not surprising that the Sony BDP's software may also process subtitles differently depending on the container type, etc
Please use plain text.