Blu-Ray - General

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Enthusiast
Message 1 of 9 (1,982 Views)

BDV-E3200 not recognizing external Hard disk

Hi,

I bought a new BDV-E3200 All in one home threatre system. When I plug in my WD 1TB enternal hardrive into BD US port I receive on the TV screen as "USB device not recognised". How to rectify this issue.

Thanks in advance

Suresh

Message 2 of 9 (1,950 Views)

Re: BDV-E3200 not recognizing external Hard disk

Hello sureshsangaran, thank you for your message. Welcome to SONY Community!

The USB memory device may not be recognized in the following conditions:

- The USB device is formatted with the NTFS file system.
- The USB device has not been formatted at all.
- The USB device is damaged or faulty.

Use a computer that can properly format the USB device in FAT32 since many products only support a USB memory device formatted with FAT32 file system.

NOTE: Some Network Media players and home theater systems will recognize a USB memory device that has been formatted using either the FAT32 or NTFS file system.

If the USB device has been properly formatted, try using a different USB memory device. If a different USB device can be recognized by the player, the issue is with the original USB device.

For further assistance regarding your concern, please contact the Sony offices/Sony representative offices nearest to your place of residence in Asia Pacific region http://www.sony-asia.com/countryselector.html?hpid=countryselector:AsiaPacific

Due to proximity, they are in a better position to respond to your questions or concerns.

Enthusiast
Message 3 of 9 (1,560 Views)

[ Edited ]

Thank you for this information,

I was also facing the same issue on my new BDV-E3200, It was recoganizing the hard disc when I turn off and on the player, but sometime it is showing the warning message that Unable to recognize the USB device. 

I hope above problem will solve if I format my hard disk using FAT32?

Questions:

1. Is there any issues If I use continuously hard disks instead of pendrive?

2. How much is the maximum capapcity of hard disk that we can connect to the player?

3. Will it give Dolby/DTS output if I play a high definition video/audio or 1080p video through pendrive/hard disc?

Thanks in advance for answering my questions.

Enthusiast
Message 4 of 9 (1,543 Views)

Many new devices don't have enough power to the USB port to power an external hard drive that does not have it's own AC power supply.

Many people said the USB on my BDP-S6700 would not play movies off the USB. I decided to purchase anyway, I have used a USB flash drive and it plays prefectly fine without having to format it. I am assuming the people who are having issues are using hard drives that don't have an AC wall adapter. The bluray/DVD player probably doesn't have enough power going to that USB port to run a drive on it's own.

You could always try a USB hub that has an AC power supply then plug the hard drive into the hub,

Enthusiast
Message 5 of 9 (1,537 Views)

Thank you RMckay,

Could you please let me know what exactly USB hub with AC power supply?
Which means I need to buy a USB hub and connect the hub to my player and AC adapter then connect the hard drive to the hub?
Please suggest me one of the USB hub that I can buy online or the one which you are using currently.

Enthusiast
Message 6 of 9 (1,513 Views)

Something like this https://www.amazon.com/Anker-4-Port-Adapter-Drives-Devices/dp/B0192LPK5M/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1495...

I can't say 100% this will fix your problem but the Nintendo Wii U has the same issue. It won't see an external hard drive unless the hard drive has ac power from the wall or you use a powered USB hub. It just doesn't have enough power coming through the usb to run a hard drive like a computer could.

Message 7 of 9 (1,474 Views)

Hi Sagarbr,

Welcome to the Sony Community!

What RMckay suggested may be correct. However, just like what he said, there are no guarantees if purchasing a HUB with a power supply will work with our devices. 

Here are the answers to your questions:

1. Is there any issues If I use continuously hard disks instead of pendrive?

No, hard discs are supported by our players, you should not experience any issues, especially with playback.

2. How much is the maximum capapcity of hard disk that we can connect to the player?

The maximum capacity our players support is based on the device's market release date/year. I am afraid that I cannot tell when the BDV-E3200 was released because it is a non-US model, making its resources inaccessible to us. You may refer to the link provided for the list of external media storage capacity based on a device's release date: 

https://us.en.kb.sony.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/33524/c/65%2C66/kw/usb%20size

3. Will it give Dolby/DTS output if I play a high definition video/audio or 1080p video through pendrive/hard disc?

It will depend on the BDV-E3200 if it supports it.

If you need assistance or information regarding the BDV-E3200, please contact the Sony offices/Sony representative offices nearest to your place of residence in Asia Pacific region http://www.sony-asia.com/countryselector.html?hpid=countryselector:AsiaPacific. Due to proximity, they are in a better position to respond to your questions or concerns.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

-Mark

If my post answers your question, please mark it as "Accept as Solution".

Enthusiast
Message 8 of 9 (1,439 Views)

Hi MarkFR,

Thank you,

By refering the link provided by you (https://us.en.kb.sony.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/33524/c/65%2C66/kw/usb%20size), it is saying that the Blueray players for 2016 models are capable to read USB Storage device or USB flash drive that has been formatted to use the NTFS, FAT32 and exFAT formatted file systems.

Mine is 2017 model. If the information in the above link are correct, I hope no need to format the hard disk with FAT32 as it will also capable to read NTFS. 

I hope what RMckay suggested will solve my issue. I would like to highlight again the same point that I am able to play the contents in the hard disk if I restart the player by keeping the hard disk in the USB port. 

Thanks for all your replys.

Sagar B R

Highlighted
Message 9 of 9 (764 Views)

Hi Sagarbr,

Welcome to Sony Community!

For further assistance regarding your product, we highly recommend visiting our Sony Global Web site for information on contacting the Sony Support Center in your region at http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/Support/.

Regards,
-Jay

If my post answers your question, please mark it as "Accept as Solution"

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook