Skip to the end of navigation

Welcome to the Community!

Blu-Ray - General

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Message 1 of 8 (3,306 Views)

BDV-E500W Won't play new BDs

I have been having issues playing recent blu-rays and now cannot play any of the new blu-rays I have purchased including Puss in Boots, Immortals and A Game of Thrones series. It says it can't play disc and it shows up as unknown on the menu. I have the latest updates (which are apparently from May of last year), ran all of the trouble shooting suggestions, and called the Sony support line.

I was very professionally told that I'm out of luck because they haven't updated the software since last year and don't plan to in the near future. I asked to speak to a supervisor for more clarification and was promptly told no. Very professional, not helpful.

I have about $4000 worth of Sony equipment in my basement and I can't watch a new movie? Really? I'm posting here hoping that there is another resolution someone has found so that I don't have to go buy a new player.
Expert
Message 2 of 8 (3,306 Views)

Re: BDV-E500W Won't play new BDs

Thank you for your post and welcome to the forums.

I apologize that your BDV-E500W does not play new Blu ray disc releases. Does your unit have the same problem when playing older BD's and DVD's? If the issue is occurring on more than one of the same title then the unit may need further triage and possibly repair. If you would like to further triage or seeking repair then contact Sony Support by clicking here:
http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/suppor ... l=BDVE500W

Thank you.
Rookie
Message 3 of 8 (3,215 Views)

I have the exact same issue, any new BluRay that I buy I cannot play it, I get the same message and same error. All my old BluRays and all my DVD's work perfect in it, there is nothing wrong with the player mechanically. It's the SOFTWARE SONY!!!! I have purchased multiple new BluRays and cannot watch any of them! I personally am going to look into this as a legal matter, how can they get away with being lazy and not updating their software.
Message 4 of 8 (3,198 Views)

Follow the steps below to troubleshoot the player.

1. Make sure the inserted disc is compatible with the BD player.
Check the instruction manual of the BD player for a list of compatible discs. Manuals are available online through the Manuals/Specs/Warranty link on this page.

A. Use a soft cloth to clean the disc.

B. Examine the disc for any cracks or scratches that might be interfering with playback.

C. Wipe the top of the disc tray using a soft dry cloth before placing the disc on the tray. Attempt to play the disc again.

2. Make sure that the BD player settings are correct.

A. Download and install the latest system software (firmware).

B. Verify that the Easy Setup procedure has been completed on the BD player.
Cannot play DISC may display on the LCD screen if the Easy Setup procedure was not completed first.

C. Make sure that the Parental Control settings are not set to On.

D. Certain BD players may require that a USB memory device has been properly inserted into the EXT slot of the player prior to playing the movie.
The USB memory device may need to be re-formatted to FAT32 format or the existing files on the USB device must be deleted prior to using it with the player.

E. If the BD player supports the BD-Live feature, set the BD Internet Connection setting to Do Not Allow and delete any conflicting BD-Live data from the BD/DVD viewing Settings menu.

F. Attempt to play another disc.
If another disc plays in the player, then the previous disc may be faulty.

3. Do a power reset on the BD player.

A. Remove the disc from the BD player.

B. Turn off the player.

C. Unplug the power cord of the player from the electrical outlet.

D. Let the player remain without power for 60 seconds.

E. Plug the power cord back into the electrical outlet.

F. Turn on the BD player.

G. Play a bluray disc.

4. Reset the player to Factory Default Settings.

A. Using the supplied remote, press the Home button.

B.Go to Setup.

C. Select Resetting.

D. Select Reset to Factory Default Settings.

E. Select All Settings.

F. Select Start.

G. Go to Easy Set up.

H. Select Easy Initial Settings. Just follow the on-screen instructions.

I. Play a bluray disc.

If my post answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution."

Rookie
Message 5 of 8 (1,613 Views)

I have a SONY BDV-E500W blu-ray player.  In the past certain discs wouldn't play (Deadwood, some Criterion) however if I turned of the cable box and turned the blu-ray player back on they would recognize the discs.  So I have had the blu-ray player for over three years.  Now it will not recognize some recent discs suchas Dr. Terror's House of Horrors or How to Murder Your Wife, or the Beatles 1+ blu-rays.  However it will play recent Criterion Discs such as Mulholland Drive and Hiroshim Mon Amour.  I also can't get the settings to owrk on the remote control.  Do you have any suggestions?

Message 6 of 8 (1,570 Views)

Hi jeffbur119,

Welcome to Sony Community!

Please follow the troubleshooting steps on this link if you are unable to play Blu-ray disc. If there is any error message when trying to play discs that are not being recognized. We recommend checking this link for additional troubleshooting procedure. 

Thanks!

Jerome

If my post answers your question, please mark it as "Accept as Solution"

Rookie
Message 7 of 8 (771 Views)

I am having the same issue.  I have ordered the movie " Sisters' 4 times from net flix and will not play.  I just got inferno a new Blue Ray and it will play.  I have not a clue.  Sisters is not even a blue ray DVD.  I have updated my ****** software.  Can anyone help me.

Highlighted
Message 8 of 8 (743 Views)

Hello Indiblu5,

Welcome and thank you for considering the SONY Community!

We are sorry to hear that the player won't play the movie you've ordered. We would like to know if there is an error message is displayed when trying to play the Sisters disc. If so, kindly refer to this link to isolate the problem. 

Regards,

-Erin

If my post answers your question, please click the button below "Accept as Solution".

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook