Welcome to the Community!

Blu-Ray - General

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Rookie
Message 1 of 10 (40,747 Views)

Blu-Ray will not respond to remote or device buttons

I have a Blu-Ray, model BDP-S5200, and while watching streaming shows, it will quit responding to the remote control, nor will it respond to the buttons on the top of the device itself.  The show will continue playing, it can't be paused, it won't go "home", or power off.  Unplugging the device is the only way to turn it off, after replugging, it will work properly for a time before becoming unresponsive again.  There is no error message, no black or blue screen, it just keeps doing whatever it was doing.

It is the remote that came with the Sony player.  The remote will still control the television (volume, mute, power, etc.), even when the player quits responding.  And the buttons on top of the set (power and eject) will not control the device, either.

It isn't an easily replicable issue, as it happens randomly (sometimes occurring within minutes, sometimes after several epsiodes), and I haven't had time to test each app (which may take several hours each), so I'm not sure which apps it will or will not malfunction for, but I know it has malfunctioned several times while using Amazon Prime video.

Message 2 of 10 (40,700 Views)

Re: Blu-Ray will not respond to remote or device buttons

[ Edited ]

Hello Foxxyrocker82, thank you for your message. Welcome to SONY Community!

How to troubleshoot a remote control that quits working or does not work properly

1. Make sure that the device you are trying to control is working.

• Plug it into an electrical outlet that you know is working.
  • Turn the device on with its own power button (not the button on the remote).

2. Ensure that the remote control is being used no closer than 3 feet and no further than 10 feet away from the unit.

NOTE: Using the remote control too close or too far away may prevent the Infrared (IR) beam from reaching the IR sensor on the unit.

3. When using the remote control, be sure to point it directly at the remote sensor on the device.

4. If the remote control has the ability to be set for different functions (TV, BD, DVD, AUX, STB, etc.), ensure the correct function is selected.

NOTE: Refer to the operating instructions to determine if the remote control has the ability to be set for different functions and, if so, for the instructions on how to configure those remote functions.

5. Remove any obstacles that may be in the path between the remote control and the device. Glass doors or enclosures can affect the signal from the remote. Try opening glass doors to see if that makes a difference.

6. Make sure the IR sensor of the device is not exposed to direct sunlight or bright florescent or halogen lights. Bright lights that shine directly on the IR sensor can interfere with receiving signals from the remote control.

7. Verify that the remote control is sending an IR signal.

8. Remove the batteries from the remote control, press every button twice, and then reinstall the batteries.

9. Install fresh alkaline batteries.

10. Do a power reset for the device or component that the remote is supposed to control.

How to perform a factory reset on a Blu-ray Disc Player or Network Media Player

1. Turn the Blu-ray Disc player on and make sure the correct video input is selected on the TV.

2. Press the Home button on the Blu-ray Disc player remote.

3. Once the menu is displayed, press the Left arrow button on the remote and navigate to Setup.

4. On Setup, use the Down arrow button and go to Resetting and press the Enter button.

5. Under Resetting, select either Reset to Factory Default Settings or Initialize Personal Information.

NOTES:

• Reset to Factory Default Settings option will display another menu where you can reset the current network, audio and video settings on the player, select All Settings if you desire to restore everything.
  • Initialize Personal Information will erase all personal information stored on the player and some Internet apps.

6. Go through each of the two options if you desire to completely restore the Blu-ray Disc player.

Hopefully this post helps you! Please mark it "accept as solution"

Enthusiast
Message 3 of 10 (40,396 Views)

I thought that I had found an answer to my long standing problem but unfortunately these cut and paste solutions do not address the OP's actual question!

I have exactly the same issue with my BDP-S7200. After a period of time the unit continues playing streamed content but connot be controlled at all from either the remote or the units buttons. The only way out is to pull the power and reconnect. I also had the same behaviour on a previous unit that I returned as faulty because of this.

1. The remote is not the problem - all works fine.

2. Resetting to factory defaults does not fix the issue. It also happens so often that it is impracticle to do it so regularly even if it did.

I was hoping that it would have been sorted by a firmware update but nothing so far. The only way out is the rather abrupt method of pulling the power plug and reconnecting - not great!

Expert
Message 4 of 10 (40,370 Views)

[ Edited ]

This issue of players freezing and becoming unresponsive to any remote commands has been known about since April 2015 but Sony fail to acknowledge that the problem exists. Many of us have open cases with Sony who after taking months to respond tell customers the device needs repairing.

Devices known to be affected:

BDP-S5200

BDP-S6200

BDP-S7200 

(other devices not listed)

In most cases the issue has been identified as being the Amazon app which is causing these device lock-ups, see this post below:

http://community.sony.com/t5/Blu-Ray-Netflix-Online-Video/BDP-S6200-issues-with-Amazon-Prime-Instant...

I reported this issue myself to Sony last October when my device was still under warranty but Sony took so long to reach a decision that my warranty has now expired. They've told me I must return the device to an authorized repairer or to the shop where purchased.

I also have an open case with Amazon who are currently investigating the problem with their app but they've told me that until Sony supply them with the correct tools they cannot fix the problem. Read more about Amazon's progress with this complaint here:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/forums/ref=cs_hc_g_tv?ie=UTF8&forumID=Fx2GBEOGDU758MG&cdTh...

Please don't forget to give me Kudos for any answers which you find helpful, you can do this by clicking the 'Thumbs-Up' button below my replies.

Thanks!
Enthusiast
Message 5 of 10 (40,347 Views)

Thanks for the info.

This sounds familiar. I had a similar problem with my Sony PS3 streaming what was then Lovefilm via a newly subscribed fibre broadband from TalkTalk. On that occation the programme would totally lock up. At least now I can continue to watch to the end before pulling the plug!

It took Sony\TalkTalk so long to sort it out that the "free" years subscription to Lovefilm was nearly over. 

Expert
Message 6 of 10 (40,342 Views)

Ideally of course you shouldn't have to continually do this everytime you use your player and until enough customers report the issue to Sony nothing will be done about it. 

Currently Sony are telling me that it's not a common issue which of course is rubbish, the wealth of evidence on these forums and elsewhere on the internet proves otherwise. I would ask that you at least notify Sony Support of your own issues with your device, the more people who complain about it the better and hopefully Sony will finally get a true picture of the numbers involved.

Thanks

Please don't forget to give me Kudos for any answers which you find helpful, you can do this by clicking the 'Thumbs-Up' button below my replies.

Thanks!
Expert
Message 7 of 10 (21,760 Views)

For what it's worth although my previous post above is now quite old I did eventually agree at the request of Sony Support to my device being repaired. This was done under an extended warranty that I purchased from my retailer here in the UK although Sony were also offering to do this had my warranty already expired.

After around 10 days the retailer contacted me to say that the device could not be repaired as the fault required a new main board and that was beyond the scope of the repairers. My retailer agreed to issue a brand new replacement of the same model (BDP-S7200) but this also exhibited the same fault in the first 24 hours of using it.

I contacted Sony again (address below) and after advising them of the repairers findings we came to a mutal agreement that I would receive a small payment of an undisclosed sum by way of compensation to allow me to buy a more reliable streaming device.

Unfortunately telling your story here on this forum has little to no effect, Sony don't appear to act on discussions here though I think we all agree they should. You need to speak directly with Sony in your region and push to have your case escalated higher up the chain.

If talking to Sony Support USA fails to resolve your case might I suggest contacting the address below and ask if they can act on your behalf. These are the people who resolved my case.

SONY SUPPORT TEAM
SUPPORT: customersupport.en@eu.sony.com 

Sony United Kingdom and Ireland, a division of Sony Europe Limited
A company registered in England and Wales.
Registered office: The Heights, Brooklands, Weybridge, Surrey, KT130XW
Registered company number: 2422874

Note:

If you visit the Amazon links above you will notice that they have now been removed. It seems Amazon were keen to bury this issue. Amazon have since cut all lines of communication with me on this issue despite repeated attempts at the time for an update from them. 

Thanks!
Rookie
Message 8 of 10 (17,432 Views)

I have this same problem with TWO different SONY Bluray players.  Basically, you have to unplug and reboot them EVERY time you use them.  Sony uses cheap substandard electronic components. 

The easiest solution is to use your SONY product as a doorstop and buy a BluRay player from another manufacturer.  I did, and haven't had a problem since.

Highlighted
Message 9 of 10 (17,273 Views)

Hi Proko,

Welcome to the SONY Community!

Thank you for your post. Sony takes into consideration all feedback to improve the performance and quality of our products. We will forward your feedback onto the proper department. We place a very high value on feedback from our customers because it allows us to continue to improve. Thanks again.

Regards,
~Erin

Expert
Message 10 of 10 (17,172 Views)

@ErinC,

Sony might take into consideration the feedback from it's customers but sadly it doesn't look like they use it to improve new devices. I mentioned above that I had the same issue with their flagship BDP-S7200 model, I paid a lot of money for that product and yet here we are 3 years later and people are still reporting the same exact issues. Why?

Moreover why does Sony constantly fail to deliver on updates to fix these issues? 

As I say, I did get compensation eventually from Sony but only because I was persistent and even then it took nearly 2 years!! What seems painfully obvious from a customer point of view is that Sony clearly has issues with it's products, especially their bluray players.

Sony have lost lots of customers because of their inability to resolve complaints effectively, you only have to trawl through these forums to find evidence of that.

Question 1: Would I buy another Sony product? NO definitely not!

Question 2: Would I buy another Sony product if Sony released a fix for my existing fault? Yes probably.

Thanks!

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook