Language: English / Spanish
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

welcome to Sony's community site

Get involved! Whether you are here to ask or give help - we are happy you stopped by and look forward to seeing you in the future! Please watch our Welcome Video to get started.

Blu-Ray - General

Groovin'
USER-955720

Re: Blu-ray dics won't play on Blu-ray player

Sorry, blu-rays purchased / rented prior to 12/2011 play just fine.

Please use plain text.
GoldenGirl

I have a few more questions......What model Blu-ray player do you have?  What firmware version do you have? Are you getting any time of error messages? Invalid Disc message? etc.

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
USER-955720

I have a BDV-E300. The firmware version is 011 as reported in the Settings menu. The error message is "Cannot operate this disc." I have a 1GB USB stick in the EXT memory slot and EXT is lighted on the front of the unit. I have tried resetting the unit by removing power. I tried removing the USB stick. I have tried erasing the BD memory. I have reloaded the 011 firmware. The BD and DVD parental controls are off. The Hybrid selection was set to BD, but I changed it to DVD a couple of days ago in an attempt to fix this problem. I do not have the unit connected to the internet and the BD Internet setting is Do Not Allow.

I went through all this in Jan 2012. The Sony tech at that time finally gave up and told me I needed to wait for a firmware upgrade. The 011 firmware is dated 5/24/2011. There have been no further releases that I see on your website. The Sony tech at that time could give me no timeline when new firmware might be released, if ever. In exasperation I exchanged the BBC Human Planet BD for the DVD version. I gave up completely on BDs after a few more new ones did not function either.

I exchanged the Disney DVD Frankenweenie disc for another, same issue. At this point I have returned the Disney DVD Frankenweenie disc. Both discs operated just fine on my laptop (Windows 7 64-bit with Media Player.) This is the first DVD that did not work in my unit without an obvious problem (scratches, etc.) Disney claims that I need an upgrade to my out-of-date anti-piracy software and to contact the manufacturer.

Please use plain text.
GoldenGirl

Thanks for the information. I will do some additional research and get back with you.

Please use plain text.
Tuning Up
acordner

My BDP-BX2 recently stopped playing Blu-Ray discs. I rented Taken 2, Skyfall and Pirates: Band of Misfits within the last week and none of them play. Also, some movies I have previously purchased and watched many times like The Lorax won't play anymore. Some others purchased recently do work still, and DVDs also work without issue.

I upgraded the firmware to 014 (I believe) last night. Unplugged the unit for 3-4 minutes, cleaned the discs, tried multiple times, inserted 4GB FAT32 USB stick in the EXT port, parental controls have never been enabled... Screen says "Cannot play the disc" and display reads INVALID.

Don't tell me I have to buy a new player!?!

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
DocMarko

I also have a BDP-BX2 and did all of the steps Goldengirl recommended.  The problem started with the upgrade to Firmware 14. I had no problem before then.  I tried four BD's all received within the last few weeks. They worked fine till I installed Firmware 14.  All four BD's worked on non-Sony players.  However, I unplugged the player one last time and let it sit for a full hour. When I tried the BD's after this, they all worked again.  We will see how long this fix lasts.  It is worth a try.

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
Sandman717

Model (S580): Ok here is a quick heads up for those with issues on newer released blu-ray disks. The short answer is Sony is aware there is a software update needed for Firmware on the S580. I just went through 3 levels of Sony support to find out that there are issues with this players Firmware. According to Sony their engineers are working the problem. I am the last person to reply to something like this but I was actually at the store this weekend to replace the unit and couldn't find anything that had the features I wanted. To my surprise Sony followed up today with a phone call from their support team to notify that the are working the problem. BTW, I have a newer model Sony (BDP BX18), that plays the disks that will not play in the (s580). Figure I'd save those some pain as I just went through troubleshooting this issue. Lets hope they push the update out soon.
Please use plain text.
Groovin'
Sandman717

Update to my last: My current firmware is M07.R.0624 8/2012.
Please use plain text.
Groovin'
USER-955720

No one has contacted me by phone. They called and left one voicemail, when I dialed the number and gave them the E code provided in the VM, the service rep told me they were a "special" group and I could not contact them directly. It has been 3 weeks and I have yet to here from them.

Please use plain text.
Sony Employee
ScottF

It was my pleasure speaking with you this morning.  Please send the email we spoke of to SonyListens@am.sony.com and I apologize again for the miscommunication issue.

Best Regards, Scott Fuentes
Sony Support USA

Please use plain text.