Blu-Ray - General

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Message 251 of 259 (1,697 Views)

Re: Blu-ray disc won't play on Blu-ray player

Hi Wholsinger78,

Welcome to the SONY Community!

We regret to hear this issue with your Blu-ray player. Let's isolate the issue by following the troubleshooting steps from this link:

https://us.en.kb.sony.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/39271.

Regards,
-Jay

If my post answers your question, please click the button below "Accept as Solution".

Enthusiast
Message 252 of 259 (826 Views)

Hi, I've been having Bluray issues for a couple months on a spectrum of players and nobody has an idea why,

I had an all region Samsung player for 2-3 years that worked great and played everything from all region BD to DVD to burnt disc. 2 weeks before Halloween 2017, I got 2 new R1 BD and it would play neither. They both played on my portable BD player on pc and on the ps4 so I assumed the player was worn out and ordered a replacement. It worked initially playing those 2 new discs but days later, it would hardly play anything. I called Samsung support and they suggested updating firmware which did not work.

I then decided to take a hit on my R2 BD and get a Region A/1 BD player at Best Buy. The Samsung I got had a broken tray, so I decided to try LG. It worked fine for a couple days. I even tried all my other region BD and it would read and play 75% of them. Days later, it would hardly read anything and make a clicking noise when loading a Bluray.

I took it back and decided to try Sony since my Sony ps4 was the only device that consistently plays all my Bluray. It worked for days, now I have the exact same issue. Clicking noise when loading, saying it can't read disc and disc may not be finalized. It plays maybe 2 out of 10 of my Bluray and basically this 4k upscale BDP S6700 is a glorified DVD player. It's not a firmware issue, all the players were brand new. I'm to the brink of buying a ps4 remote control and just using that for BD without having to use the touchy controllers to work movie options but I would rather just go back to having an all working BD player. Any ideas?

Rookie
Message 253 of 259 (681 Views)

My blu ray stopped playing blu ray recently. Even ones that it has played before. I did everything suggested with no success. Do I have any other options? It seemed to start this after the last update.
Enthusiast
Message 254 of 259 (665 Views)

Check the power supply ("wall wart"), preferably by substituting another one, even if you have to purchase a spare (less than $10 on eBay). I had strange no-play / no-eject symptoms that turned out to be caused by a bad power supply. 

Enthusiast
Message 255 of 259 (579 Views)

Here is an odd one.  I ordered the region free Blu-Ray version of BBC's Blue Planet 2 from Amazon Prime in Great Britain.  (It's not available in the States yet.)  To play it I bought a Sony BDP-S3700.  It plays my DVD's just fine.  Blue Planet II arrived and it has the original Blue Planet in Blu-Ray format as well. 

Here is the weird thing.  It plays the Blu-Ray version of the original Blue Planet just fine.  But with Blue Planet 2 it plays the BBC splash screen and when that fades away, it goes back to the Home Screen instead of continuing to the episode menu of Blue Planet 2.  There are three disks and it does the same thing with all three of them.  (At least it is consistent.)  I took the disk over to a neighbor and it plays just fine on their Samsung player although there is a pause between the splash screen and the episode menu.

I have the current firmware as of 12/29/2017.  Probably not many people in the States have Blue Planet 2 but has anyone else seen this behavior?  To me it looks like a firmware problem rather that a hardware problem.  Thanks.

George

Enthusiast
Message 256 of 259 (387 Views)

The simple reason that so many bluray players go bad is because the disc drives fail, sometimes pretty fast. Manufacturers such as Sony use fairly cheap disc drives in their players. I’ve taken a few of the Sony bluray boxes apart (most recently, a BDP-BX37) and I can attest that the drives are not the best build quality. When you consider that Sony manufactures thousands, if not tens of thousands, of these bluray players, it is not surprising that hundreds of customers eventually end up with products that fail at some point.

But here is the silver lining: Because the drives are so cheap, they are cheaply replaced, provided you have a phillips-head screwdriver, an hour of time, and an eBay account. The drives in just about every Sony bluray player are one size fits all. Search eBay for the “Sony BPX-10” replacement laser drive. There are hundreds of them for sale for around $10 and even less. All you have to do is swap out your old drive with the new one and your player will work again, hopefully for several years.
Enthusiast
Message 257 of 259 (385 Views)

I did in fact procure spare power supply wall warts (another common point of failure) and disc drives. I normally don't diagnose problems by swapping parts, but I do so if the parts are cheap enough, as in this case.

Enthusiast
Message 258 of 259 (355 Views)

Good to know.  Probably applies to other makes and models as well. 

In this case I think it more likely to be a firmware problem which will probably be fixed some day.  I started a new thread and found another customer with the same drive, same disk, and same problem.  I ended up exchanging for an LG BP350 before the return window closed.  It plays Blue Planet 2 just fine.  Unfortunatey about the Sony because I like some of its features better.

Enthusiast
Message 259 of 259 (146 Views)

Re: Blu-ray dics won't play on Blu-ray player

Tried these settings on my BDV-E3100 and I still have the same issue.

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook