Language: English / Spanish
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

welcome to Sony's community site

Get involved! Whether you are here to ask or give help - we are happy you stopped by and look forward to seeing you in the future! Please watch our Welcome Video to get started.

Blu-Ray - General

Tuning Up
dwysywd

Re: Blu-ray dics won't play on Blu-ray player

[ Edited ]

Hi, 

UNIT: BDP-BX57 Serial#1004166

I have had this unit for just under 1 year. Today it stopped responding to anything. Last night we watched 2 movies, 1 blu-ray and 1 regular format. This evening we rented another movie and it would not load the screen. So, I tried another dvd to see if it would load that one. I would not. So next I tried to reset the machine. I unplugged it for 1 min (plus 10 sec) and then plugged it in again and loaded a dvd to see if it would reset, it did not. I even tried to download firmware and put it on a CD and on a USB drive, neither worked. I am completely lost. I cannot even get the home screen to load to download anything off the internet. Its like it just stopped working, even though I get no error codes. 

Jeff

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
getuthere

Hi,

I have just joined the community forum to find out about DB playing problems.

I have a BDV-E370 which I had had for approx 2 yrs and has operate well.

Just recently I have been having problems with BD disks getting about halfway thru a movie and then the picture freezes and the sound continues for a few minutes and then the movie just "locks up" with  a still image on the screen. If I stop the movie, eject the disk, then reload it and start the movie again it works for a while but then starts to freeze and the sound sort of "pops" and "cracks" and then I am back to the freeze screen. As a a subscriber I have asked Love-films for replacement rental BD discs for the particular problem movie BD and even the replacements suffer from the same problem ( I have had about 3sets of disks all failing). In an attempt to see if if the problem was with the Lovefilm rental disks, I tried some of my own  - shop bought - BD discs and they are starting to suffer the same way.

Remedy Actions taken so far - in order of completion:

1) Used a BD/DVD disc cleaning kit (AllInOne)

2) Upgraded to the new Sony firmware version (MOR4R-787).

3) Unplugged the system for about a minute and a half -  as suggested in one of the recent helpful forum responses

4) Plugged in a 1GB USB stick into the rear socket.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?  Just as a footnote it plays DVD's with no problems at all!

Thanks

Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
kcaudle

"Disney claims that I need an upgrade to my out-of-date anti-piracy software"

" BD disks getting about halfway thru a movie and then the picture freezes"

I have found the easiest solution .... unplug your sony unit and place in basement. Buy new cheap phillips blu-ray player. Install. Problem solved.

KC

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tablet SGPT121CA/S (APR 2013), eReader PRS-T1(APR 2012), Bluetooth Headphones DR-BTN200(SEP 2013), Blu-ray Receiver BDV-E3100(DEC2013)
Please use plain text.
Groovin'
endresj

Hi,

I have a 2-week old BDP-S3100 that will not play Blu-Ray discs.  So far, I have only tried movies from Disney because those are the only BDs I have, but Cars, Cars2, Despicable Me and Toy Story 3 all fail when I try to play them.  I have gone through your post and tried everything you suggested and nothing works.

My firmware is UP TO DATE.

When I load the disc, a message comes up that is shadowed on the screen (i.e. double image) and it says something about it taking 2-3 minutes to load the disc content because of my player and that I should visit a website to make sure my player firmware is up to date.  This message remains on the screen but the audio starts to play the previews and trailers that are on the disc.  So, the audio seems to be working but there is no video.  If I hit the Menu button, the music changes to the theme song of the movie on the disc, at least it does for Cars, which means I should be at the main menu of the movie.  But, again, no video on the screen, other than the shadowed message, so I can't confirm.  

I know for a FACT that all of these discs will play because I have played them multiple times in my Toshiba laptop drive, which is about 4 years old.  I bought this particular Sony because it had some features that I wanted like network connectivity, Pandora, etc.  I never thought to check and see if it would actually play a Blu-Ray disc...silly me.

So, do I just return it and try another brand or do you guys have a suggestion for something I haven't tried?

Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
Onit

[ Edited ]

The Sony BDV-N990W can’t play Blue-ray Disc "Avatar extended edition release” with the current firmware “BDV-N990W Firmware Version (M13.R.0443)".

If Sony doesn’t update regularly the firmware of their players at least they should inform buyers that their system is not prepared to play all new movies.  So I’m considering return this system back as no one informed me of that… shame on you Sony!

The problem seems to be related with BD+.  The “Blue-ray Disc Avatar” has no defect as it can be played on other systems.

Please ask Sony to address this issue.

PS: My Sony BDV-N990W system is now playing Avatar.

At Sony Drivers Download Page http://www.sony-asia.com/support/download/505763  the latest firmware update is “BDV-N590/N890W/N990W Firmware Version M13.R.0443 but my system is now updated with Firmware Version M13.R.0453.

Anyway I think that my system was already updated with that firmware at the first time I came across with this problem.

I don’t know if that update was the reason why… or anything else as I tried all and everything.

I just hope that I don’t come across the same problem all over again with other movies.

Just to let you be acquainted with

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
MikeDiaz

[ Edited ]

I have the same issues with my bdp s-390, i tried teh previous steps and the player doesn´t work, is there any other resource or i have take my player to the serice center?

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
Sandman717

Re: Blu-ray disc won't play on Blu-ray player

Update to my last on this string. As I stated before Sony actually called me back on this No-Blu-Ray play issue. That is the good news. For what it is worth I called Somy back to reconfirm what they stated about them working the problem. They reassured me that they were. So I wait with my S580 unable to play a growing list of Disks. Come on Sony!!! Time to address the issue and inform your customers what the status is. MikeDiaz,.....Sadly a trip to the repair center would be to no avail as this problem seems to be growing by the day and is not limited to your unit. Really Sony. Come on??? Information would be nice?
Please use plain text.
Groovin'
Onit

Re: @Sandman717

[ Edited ]

Yes…, they have a PR calling disappointed customers saying that they are working on the issue… It looks good…

Don’t hold your breath :robotindifferent:

Do a quick bing "Can’t play avatar" and you'll get 1000+ blogs, forums, tweets, about consumers that bought movies that can’t be played.  on their players. And they are talking about this issue as long as 1 year before!

Please use plain text.
Tuning Up
JLHall

Re: Blu-ray disc won't play on Blu-ray player

I have purchased two Sony Blu Ray players within a month and have the same problem when the firmware updates. I have the Rocky Blu Ray box set and discs 4, 5 and the Balboa movie do not play. But the other three movies work fine. I have checked the Blu Rays on another player and they are fine.

The first player was a BDP-BX59. The firmware was already updated before I bought the movies. The movies never loaded on that player.

My current player is a BDP-BX510. It did play one of the Rocky movies earlier today. Then I updated the software to the current version M15.R.0095. Now only some of the movies from the box set will play. Yes I did try all the repair steps recomended on this site several times. Nothing worked on either player.

I have been a loyal sony customer since the 1980s when I bought my first tv. I have also recomended Sony to many friends and family. My confidence in the Sony brand is now shaken and I hope this issue is resolved before I need to return this Blu Ray player.

Please use plain text.
Tuning Up
JLHall

I have the same problem with some of my Blu Rays. I took one model back and got a different Sony model. Same problem with the second one after the firmware updated. Glad I bought it at Costco.

Please use plain text.