Blu-Ray - General

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Expert
Message 71 of 259 (6,850 Views)

Re: Blu-ray dics won't play on Blu-ray player

Hi phatterplatter! 

Based on the information you provided, it appears that your Blu-ray player needs service. Please visit eService website to setup service for your unit. 

Thanks! 

Enthusiast
Message 72 of 259 (6,844 Views)

Re: Blu-ray dics won't play on Blu-ray player

Service will cost more than the player

Thanks anyways
Enthusiast
Message 73 of 259 (6,814 Views)

Re: Blu-ray disc won't play on Blu-ray player

Tried it.  Didn't work.

It shows a disc with a question mark and name as "unknown"

The error message says, "Unable to play this disc.  Please check: Is the disc in a format playable by this unit?  Is the disc clean with no scratches or fingerprints."  The disc is clean.  It is a rented disc from Hastings.

Expert
Message 74 of 259 (6,777 Views)

Hi coyoteroy77!

You mentioned you are getting error message. Do you get this error when you play other discs? What is the title of the movie you are trying to play?

Also, please provide the model number of the player.

Apprentice
Message 75 of 259 (6,746 Views)

[ Edited ]

Tried all steps covered in the troubleshooting guide, and spoke with a customer service rep as well.  No luck getting my BDP-BX2 to play Blu Ray disks.  Funny thing that it plays old movies on Blu Ray, Robin Hood, starring Errol Flynn.  The customer service rep said I could send it back to Sony, and have a certified rebuild, for the nominal fee of $132.00.  I respectfully decline, and informed her that I could purchase a new Sony Blu Ray player for $99.00 at the most.  The other option was to wait for the next software update, but she didn't know when that would be.

Apprentice
Message 76 of 259 (6,739 Views)

Also, the Blu Ray disks  I have already been played, and now are listed as invalid.  Disks I already own, and have worked in the past.

Enthusiast
Message 77 of 259 (6,686 Views)

I'm having the same problem on my BDP-S280. Firmware says it's all updated, reset to factory settings, turned off the player and unplugged for over a minute and it still won't play any of my blu-rays,new or old, but will play DVDs just fine. I get the disc with the question mark in it that says unknown for all Blu-ray Discs
Enthusiast
Message 78 of 259 (6,671 Views)

I just started experiencing the same "unknown disc" problem about not being able to play *any* blu-ray discs on my only 4 month old Sony BDV-N9100 device. Regular DVDs are still playing fine, but it won't play blue-rays that it had previously played perfectly.

Already tried all of the described troubleshooting steps without success. It seems this is a general hardware issue with current Sony BD-players. Any final suggestions?

Enthusiast
Message 79 of 259 (6,647 Views)

When is Sony Corporate going to admit there's a MAJOR issue with many of these players and give us our money back?
Enthusiast
Message 80 of 259 (6,643 Views)

I've had mine for 2 years and never had a problem til this week. Seems to me that if Sony players across the board, new models and older models, are having the same problem, now not playing discs they've previously played or any new discs, but will play any other media format, then its a firmware issue and they need to release a patch or a new update. Otherwise they're going to be losing a lot of customers to other manufacturers that aren't having this issue, I'm already shopping around in case they don't resolve it ASAP.

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook