Language: English / Spanish
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

welcome to Sony's community site

Get involved! Whether you are here to ask or give help - we are happy you stopped by and look forward to seeing you in the future! Please watch our Welcome Video to get started.

Blu-Ray - General

USER-973622

DVD recorder broken, unfinalized discs

I have a Sony RDR-VX500 that broke a long time ago. It still plays, but it won't record. The problem is that I have several discs that never got finalized.

I checked ebay for this model and there aren't any available, only remote controls. Are there other models I can use to finalize these discs? Are there any other options?

Thanks for your help.
Please use plain text.
Tuning Up
USER-978405

Re: DVD recorder broken, unfinalized discs

I wouldn't use another device to finalize the disc just in case - it might work great, however something may go wrong and you've then lost everything. Try to see if a computer actually recognizes the disc when it is put into the optical drive. You might then get "Blank CD" however that doesn't necessarily mean that you've lost the data. Download and run ISOBuster software and see if the software recognizes the disc and if so try to retrieve the data using that. There are a few other CD/DVD/Blu-ray data retrieval programs out there that will do a similar job but ISOBuster is the most popular.
Please use plain text.