Language: English / Spanish
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

welcome to Sony's community site

Get involved! Whether you are here to ask or give help - we are happy you stopped by and look forward to seeing you in the future! Please watch our Welcome Video to get started.

Blu-Ray - General

Groovin'
jmar1819
Accepted Solution

How to get HD audio from BDP S5100/BDP BX510

I've connected the player via HDMI and have set "BD Audio MIX" setting to off, but my HD capable receiver only outputs PCM when connected via HDMI.  I've connected the player via Coaxial and am getting digital lossy audio for now.  I previously had my PS3 connected to my receiver and could play HD audio formats without any issues.  Why could I play HD audio with the PS3 and not this player?

Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
BrianP

Re: How to get HD audio from BDP S5100/BDP BX510

Hi jmar1819!

You may try the solution found on this thread.

If my post answers your question, please mark it as "Accept as Solution"

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
jmar1819

No this did not work.  I contacted Sony support and they had me set audio to PCM and downmix to stereo.  This of course did not give me HD audio.  She also had me disconnect the HDMI cable and power down the player.  This also did not work.  Right now I have Audio set to Auto, BD MIX off, and Downmix set to Surround.  When connected via HDMI I can't even play lossy 5.1 audio.  The receiver only plays PCM stereo when connected through HDMI.  If I connect the player through coaxial I can play digital 5.1.  Why is the Blu Ray player only sending stereo PCM through HDMI?   Again the receiver was connected to a PS3 and could play HD audio.

Please use plain text.
AGuy

Hello jmar1819-

What receiver do you have? As for wanting HD audio do you mean 5.1 specifically? PCM is HD audio, setting the Blu-ray player to BD Mix Off means the player does not decode the secondary audio track and instead sends the primary audio track to the receiver and allows it to do the decoding. If you are trying to get 5.1 specifically to play back on your receiver let us know the model so we can get more information about your setup. 

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
jmar1819

I have the Insignia NS R5101HD:http://www.insigniaproducts.com/products/home-audio-systems/NS-R5101HD.html

To clarify HD AUDIO I mean Dolby True HD and DTS Master audio HD5.1 and 7.1 lossless.  When this player is connected through HDMI it plays all my media, Blu Ray, DVD, SACD 5.1 as PCM stereo.  I cant even get it to play standard non HD Dolby Digital 5.1 or DTS 5.1.  Before when I had my PS3 hooked up to this receiver I could play DD True HD 5.1/7.1 and DTS HD master 5.1/7.1 and the standard non HD formats.  If I connect the player to the receiver with coaxial and play a DVD or Blu Ray the receiver will play Non HD DD 5.1 and DTS 5.1.  

Please use plain text.
Emerging Star
cjack99

Hi; fwiw department, I had exactly the same problem with my new S5100. I read your post, and some others, read the manual, made all the changes it leads you through, nothing but digital stereo from the S5100. I was going to rewire everything, and in getting ready, I used the reset menu on the S5100 and reset audio settings and BD settings to factory defaults. When I went back to the BD I was using to test, I suddenly had full up DTS 5.1 surround plus LFE, same as if I had an HDMI set up instead of the Coax. So, give that a try, just reset everything, you might get lucky.
Please use plain text.
Groovin'
jmar1819

No this did not work.  I think what ever audio signal the player is sending is unable to be decoded correctly by my receiver so it's converting it to stereo PCM.  Huge bummer since my PS3 stopped working.  Still would like to hear confirmation from anyone about this or a possible solution

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
whitty26

Unfortunately I don't have a solution for you; I am having the exact same issues. I have tried all the settings suggested in the manual and this site. Still no luck. I am only able to hear partial audio at best and unit only transmits in PCM during play back. However, during certain opening scenes, like the universal movie company logo at the start of a movie, the audio format will sometimes switch to Dolby and then back to PCM when movie starts... Very frustrated. I hope a member of support community is working on this.
Please use plain text.
Groovin'
jmar1819

My only solution for now is to use the Coaxial and at least get lossy 5.1.  I'm gonna take a stab at it and say that the player is sending multichannel PCM through HDMI and not bitstream, like my PS3 did, and my receiver does not decode/play this.  I wonder if a firmware upgrade could fix that?

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
jmar1819

GREAT!  After I did a factory reset the unit no longer recognizes the fact that wireless is built in and is telling me that it can't find the USB wireless LAN adapter, and won't connect wirelessy anymore. 

Please use plain text.