Language: English / Spanish

welcome to Sony's community site

Get involved! Whether you are here to ask or give help - we are happy you stopped by and look forward to seeing you in the future! Please watch our Welcome Video to get started.

Blu-Ray - General

Tuning Up
Jazz
Accepted Solution

I have a BDP-S590/BX59 player but it will not play video Xvid.avi file format.

Why can't I play Xvid.avi files on the Bluray player

Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
KimberlyS

Re: I have a BDP-S590/BX59 player but it will not play video Xvid.avi file format.

Hello Jazz,

Welcome to the Sony Community Forums.

The BDP-S590 and BDP-BX59 Both can play .avi files.

AVI, MKV, MP4 files are all just containers. that have a video codex and an audio codex bundled together, this is why  some of your videos sometimes have sound and no picture, and vice versa. this is what it means when it says a part of the file may not playback in the following guide.

Supported File Formats for DLNA® and USB Compatible Blu-ray Disc™ Players and Network Media Players

Likely you have a PC  in the mix that hosts your DLNA server.   this is where transcoding comes in.  some  DLNA servers will transcode the file (avi, mkv etc) into one of the above formats. If your avi files wont play  one of the codex  embeded in the file is preventing playback.

If you would like more on DLNA please review our DLNA guide here:

DLNA® Setup & FAQ

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
vette95

Re: I have a BDP-S590/BX59 player but it will not play video Xvid.avi file format.

I purchased this S590 just 2 weeks ago, and it already came with the latest firmware.

Only one issue, if I try to rw or ff an MKV video from the USB HDD it just goes to the next video or just stops playing altogether.

I'm using a 500GB HDD NTFS.

Anyone else having this issue?

I'm pretty sure I have the latest firmware, checked it against the site last night just to make sure.

My brother has a Samsung BDP and I tried the same video files in his player, everything worked just fine.

Sony, you know all you need to do to fix the mkv

KimberlyS wrote:

Hello Jazz,

Welcome to the Sony Community Forums.

The BDP-S590 and BDP-BX59 Both can play .avi files.

AVI, MKV, MP4 files are all just containers. that have a video codex and an audio codex bundled together, this is why  some of your videos sometimes have sound and no picture, and vice versa. this is what it means when it says a part of the file may not playback in the following guide.

Supported File Formats for DLNA® and USB Compatible Blu-ray Disc™ Players and Network Media Players

Likely you have a PC  in the mix that hosts your DLNA server.   this is where transcoding comes in.  some  DLNA servers will transcode the file (avi, mkv etc) into one of the above formats. If your avi files wont play  one of the codex  embeded in the file is preventing playback.

If you would like more on DLNA please review our DLNA guide here:

DLNA® Setup & FAQ

issue is release a new, working, firmware update, you have the developers and the resources. Are you going to get customers mad by not attending to their needs?

Please use plain text.