Welcome to the Community!

Blu-Ray - General

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Rookie
Message 1 of 5 (631 Views)

My S3500 Blu-ray player won't play DVD's anymore

I've had my player for about a year and a half and everything was fine until October. Suddenly it stopped playing DVD's. I had a Season 1 disc of a show and the first episode played fine, but the next day the player wasn't reading the same disc. No error message, no nothing. So I tried another DVD and another and another, for months now. Sounds a little like it's trying to read the disc and then stops and never reads it. My software is up to date. It reads Blu-ray's fine, but it won't play DVD's. Please help!
Enthusiast
Message 2 of 5 (301 Views)

Re: My S3500 Blu-ray player won't play DVD's anymore

The same thing is happening with mine. Did you find a solution?
Message 3 of 5 (262 Views)

Hi LindsH23 and Fozmart, 

Welcome to the Sony Community!

If you experience difficulty playing a disc and you receive any of the following error messages, there may be an incorrect setting or a problem with the disc that you are trying to play.

Follow these steps to try to resolve this issue:

1. If there is a HOLD switch or function available for the player, make sure that the switch or the function is set OFF.
  2. Verify the disc that you are trying to play is supported by the player.

NOTE: There are some disc players that do not support VCD or DVD discs, as well as not supporting CD-R or CD-RW discs created by a CD burner. For information regarding disc compatibility with your unit, refer to the operating instructions.

3. Try playing a couple of different commercially-produced discs.

NOTE: If more than one commercially-produced disc does not play, verify whether the discs are extended-length discs. Some players are not able to play discs where the recording exceeds the standard 74 minutes. If the recording of the disc is longer than 74 minutes, it is possible that some of the specifications of that disc were compromised and therefore, the CD player will not recognize that disc.

4. Verify that the disc is inserted correctly, with the playback side of the disc facing down in the disc tray.
  5. If the disc is dirty with fingerprints or smudges, or if the disc is scratched or broken, the player may not recognize the disc, clean the disc using a soft, dry cloth.

Clean the disc
  6. Reset the player back to the factory-default specifications.
  7. If no discs will play, remove any discs from the player and leave the player powered on with the CD tray opened (if possible) for approximately one hour to resolve the possibility of moisture condensation inside the player.

The troubleshooting steps listed above should resolve your issue. If you have completed all of the steps and the issue is not resolved, the laser pickup may be dirty.

You may also find this link very helpful if you encounter an error message when playing a disc on your Blu-ray player. However, if the issue is still unresolved, service may be required. To send your product to a Sony facility to be repaired, please check our eService website. 

Regards,

Jerome

If my post answers your question, please mark it as "Accept as Solution"

Enthusiast
Message 4 of 5 (208 Views)

Hey Jerome. Thanks for the reply. It's not a problem with the discs—the player will play ALL Blu-rays and NO DVDs. The player simply won't recognize any DVDs anymore. I've tried your steps with no results. Any other ideas?
Rookie
Message 5 of 5 (130 Views)

Thanks for replaying. Unfortunately since I originally posted over a year ago...this is not helpful because I eventually had to just chuck it in the garbage and get a new one, so I don't even have the player to try this solution. If it takes over a year to get support, I'm probably not going to buy Sony items in the future. 

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook