Welcome to the Community!

Blu-Ray - General

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Rookie
Message 1 of 11 (17,432 Views)
Accepted Solution

My Sony Blu-ray player keeps restarting while playing a DVD.

While playing a DVD in my Sony Blu-ray BD/DVD player it keeps shutting off, then automatically restarting itself and goes back to the home menu. It is a BDV-2100 Series. Any suggestions? I've turned off the Sleep settings. Unplugged for 1 minute and turned back on. I haven't found any helpful suggestions for this in the COmmunity Support questions. Is this a common problem with this series of Blu-ray?

Expert
Message 2 of 11 (17,402 Views)

Re: My Sony Blu-ray player keeps restarting while playing a DVD.

Hi Heather5300,

Try to update the software of the player. If it still persists try to have the player reset to factory default settings. Is the issue only happening on a particular disc?

If my post answers your question, please mark it as "Accept as Solution"

Rookie
Message 3 of 11 (15,706 Views)

No, this did not fix the issue. This happens on most DVDs played on my Sony bluray player. What else can be done.
Expert
Message 4 of 11 (15,701 Views)

@womackj

Hi there,

Are you the same person who started this post, have you since changed your username or are you just joining in?

You might find some useful tips you can try in this post, scroll half way down and there's a list of possible solutions dependent on the year of manufacture of your device.

http://community.sony.com/t5/Blu-Ray-General/Blu-ray-disc-won-t-play-on-Blu-ray-player/td-p/99903/pa...

Please don't forget to give me Kudos for any answers which you find helpful, you can do this by clicking the 'Thumbs-Up' button below my replies.

Thanks!
Enthusiast
Message 5 of 11 (14,612 Views)

Hello,

I have a Sony BDV-E3100 Blu-ray home theater system.  My player does the exact same thing when playing DVD movies.  The movie freezes and the machine goes back to home screen.  This happens with about half the dvds we try to play on the machine.  The same dvds play without problem on other players.  I did a firmware update and tried all the troubleshooting tips recommended on this thread, with no result, problem is still happening.

thanks

Rookie
Message 6 of 11 (5,000 Views)

Mine does the same thing. Happened on my older version and new. Sony is REALLY disappointing me. Everything I have from Sony fails.
Message 7 of 11 (4,989 Views)

Hi CBRchic,

Welcome to the SONY Community!

We apologize for the inconvenience that this may have caused. Can you post here the model number of your player? 

Hope to hear from you.

Regards,

~Erin

Enthusiast
Message 8 of 11 (604 Views)

BDV-E3100
I’ve returned one unit to the Sony Service Center in New York 3 times and Sony finally replace it with another BVD-E3100. I just set it up today and tried watching a movie. This unit has the same issue—it reset four times as I tried watching DVD. What’s the next step?
Expert
Message 9 of 11 (596 Views)

Did they replace everything or just the Blu-ray portion? Sounds like either you have bad luck, they didn't replace everything, or there's something else going on at your place of residence.

If you have a multimeter or oscilloscope, I'd take a look at the power coming out of the outlet. If you have a relative or friend who is an electrican, trade them a six pack for a quick inspection of the household circuit you are using for the BD player. If you can't do any of that, try another outlet in another room and see if you get function stability.

Are you using a power strip or plugging directly into the wall? If you are using a UPS or power strip, inspect it for damage. Inspect or replace the speaker wire. Again you can check them with a meter. Make sure all devices connect together draw power from the same outlet or check for a ground loop.

Surely, it's quite possible that you got two bad units but I would spend a little time checking a few boxes before calling Sony about the problem.
Enthusiast
Message 10 of 11 (545 Views)

My wife & I are having the exact same problem with the BDV-E3100 that we got for Christmas. DVD movies will suddenly just shut off around the 40-minute mark. TV series DVDs are not having this problem, even if we watch more than 40 minutes' worth of episodes at a time.

Our landlord recently had the circuit that it's plugged into revamped specifically to support a large multimedia/electronics presence. Power strip is not damaged (unless exposure to cat hair counts as damage, in which case we will never be able to own an undamaged power strip). Speaker wires are brand new out of the box & undamaged. "Try another outlet" isn't practical; we'd have to move the system & TV set to a *less* reinforced circuit. 

Based on several other posts in this forum, it looks to be a common flaw in the model. We still have a gift receipt; should we throw in the towel & exchange it for a different system?

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook