Welcome to the Community!

Blu-Ray - General

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Enthusiast
Message 1 of 23 (963 Views)

Sony UBP-X800 can't play audio CDs or SACD's

I have the Samsung HW-K950 soundbar to which I have hooked up my new UBP-X800. The Sony universal player successfully plays any kind of DVD format, Blu-ray, DVD-audio, apps, TV, cable-box, etc. Unfortunately, the Sony player plus the Samsung soundbar cannot handle regular CD audio discs or SACDs. When I hit play, the TV screen shows the progress of the tracks being played, but no sound emanates. More than that, the soundbar re-boots and cycles through various positions and settings on the soundbar. During the playing of the CD, the soundbar becomes unresponsive to its remote and loses its connection to the wi-fi. As soon as I stop the playback, the soundbar re-appears on the network.

If I hook up a “non-universal” disc player such as a Panasonic Blu-ray player, the soundbar DOES play audio CD’s successfully.

Any ideas on what's going on here? Many thanks!

Expert
Message 2 of 23 (958 Views)

Re: Sony UBP-X800 can't play audio CDs or SACD's

Don't have the X800 but an Oppo UDP-203 and had a similar experience when playing SACDs using bitstream output. My receiver (Marantz NR1608) also supports DSD but not via HDMI input. I had to set both SACD and DSD output from the Oppo to PCM instead of bitstream to get audio from the Oppo. The weak link was the Marantz receiver accepting the SACD audio bitstream from the Oppo. Higher end Marantz models will accept bitstream SACD and DSD streams from the Oppo.

Don't confuse this with bitstream output from movie playback. Look for settings in your player that regulate SACD playback and make sure you're getting PCM output. The manual for your play has a setting for 'DSD Output Mode'. Change this from 'Auto' to 'off' and see if that helps.
Message 3 of 23 (906 Views)

Hello Elvis5963,

The UBPX800 does support both SACD and Audio CD content.  Please see https://docs.sony.com/release//Manual_4687309111.pdf on page 22 for Super Audio CD playback and page 30 for playable disc formats.  

We have determined that some soundbars do not support SACD copy protection or format. This results in no Audio passing to the soundbar during playback of Super Audio CD side of the hybrid disc.  Please consult your Soundbar specifications and settings to determine if it supports the copy protection.

You use the temporarily work around to get the audio to your soundbar by applying the following setting.

Under UBPX800 go to [HOME] > Setup > Music Settings > Super Auido CD Playback Layer > CD.

Thank you,

Chris

Expert
Message 4 of 23 (899 Views)

Chris,

Shouldn't the copy protection be handled at the decoder. Thus, if the player is handling the decryption, decoding, and converting it to a PCM signal for amplification on another device it should work. SACD copy protection is to prevent an output carrying an unencrypted stream of Direct Stream Digital. Decrypted and analog converted audio isn't the same thing.
Enthusiast
Message 5 of 23 (894 Views)

Random V and Chris: thank you so much for your replies. I tried  changing the settings you recomended. None of them worked.

Random: with your latest post, you are way over my head.

But can I ask you guys a question?? Why am I having the exact same problems when I try to play a garden-variety audio CD?

Expert
Message 6 of 23 (846 Views)

There is something clearly not functioning with your player.

Where I take exception with Chris is the X800 should be capable of playing a SACD and sending to output to *any* analog audio device for amplification because the X800 is supposed to handle the copy protection element internally and send the decryted audio out as an PCM signal free of copy protection.

Apparently, playing a regular CD and outputting the PCM signal isn't working for you either. This suggests that something is clearly not working properly.

I would first try to reset the player to it's factory default condition and try a standard CD once again. Sounds like there's some bug that is enforcing copy protection when it shouldn't. There isn't enough information to say at this point but something isn't right.

Let's step back a few steps and ask a few questions:
1) What TV is connected to the soundbar?
2) How is the TV connected to the soundbar?
3) What is the X800 connected to; the soundbar or the TV? What are they connected with (HDMI or optical)
4) If using HDMI, are you using CEC and ARC?
5) What other devices are connected to the TV? What other devices are connected to the soundbar?

The source of your problem may be embedded in how these devices are connected together. The fact that your soundbar goes haywire when playing a CD suggest there is some HDMI handshaking issue or HDMI CEC malfunction at play.

Mixing brands can be troublesome and often is best avoided. But one of my setups has an LG OLED TV, Oppo UDP-203 BD player, Marantz reciever, Zidoo X9s media player, Channel Master DVR, Xbox, and Toshiba VHS/DVD player and it seems to a very reliable HDMI connected collection of devices. Notice, no Sonys there. The others have Samsung TVs (UHD and HD), Samsung UHD or BD players and a Sony (all soon to be retired) reciever or soundbase. Gave up on Sony BD players althought I have set up quite a few for others.

Back on topic, give a layout of what is connected to what and how they are connected.
Enthusiast
Message 7 of 23 (776 Views)

Random V: thank you so much for sharing your time and expertise, especially on a holiday weekend.  I really appreciate it.

Not only that, you are a genius! I took your advice about re-setting the player to factory defaults. Now, audio CD’s play again. SACD’s, however, still do not.  No sound, and the re-booting starts at 18 seconds in and goes from there.

As an aside, I have consulted Samsung customer support to get their take.  They basically point to Sony as the culprit and disclaim any responsibility on Samsung’s part.  It’s sad.  I get what you mean about mixing brands. But I used to have an older Oppo universal player and it worked perfectly with a wired Samsung 5.1 receiver and speaker system.  This was years ago.  And SACD has been around for what? 15 years?  But now, I buy a 2017 model receiver/soundbar and Blu-ray player, and they don’t work together on SACD’s?  When one of the devices is manufactured by the owner of the proprietary SACD technology? This is progress?

As you say, back on topic. All devices in this setup are as follows:

1. Sony UBP-X800 4k Blu-ray Player. It has 2 outbound HDMI ports. One is plugged into the Samsung soundbar HDMI in port. The other Sony outbound HDMI port is unused.
  2. Xfinity X1 Cable Box. This is connected to the second of the Samsung’s 2 HDMI in ports.
  3. Samsung HW-K950 soundbar. This HDMI out cable is plugged into the Sony TV as described in #4 below..
  4. Sony KDL-55HX800 TV. There is a cable running from the soundbar ARC/HDMI out port to the . ARC/HDMI in port of the TV.

That’s it. Eventually I will replace the TV with an up-to-date 4K TV, but that is on hold until I get all this figured out.

Is there any other information you need from me?  Again, my deepest gratitude goes out to you for your help.

Expert
Message 8 of 23 (722 Views)

Thanks for the plan view of how these devices are connected. I will assume you have HDMI CEC and ARC turned on?

Nothing jumps out as an obvious issue. The only truely irregular things I've seen in this thread was the was the problem and the explaination offered by Sony. The Samsung soundbar will accept a multichannel PCM signal all day long from a properly formatted source device. What sample frenquecies the Samsung will accept aren't spelled out in thier documentation but I would hope a soundbar claiming to support Atmos would support higher sample frequency PCM signals. If the X800 had an optical out or the HW-K950 had a digital coaxial input, it would be easy to check. Both of these devices offer little in alternative connections for testing purposes. HDMI is all we got to work with.

Maybe you can tell about a few SACDs you tried using and I can get a bead of what type of DSD files are contained on the disk. For testing purposes, I would prefer to work with a stereo DSD source and a multichannel DSD source. If you can tell me which disks you tried, maybe I can get lucky and figure out what type of files they contain.

With the various X800 issues, I'm glad I have Samsung and Oppo UHD players. I'd rather deal with their problems than the X800.

Expert
Message 9 of 23 (717 Views)

Samsung claims a 24 bit/192 khz capability. Looking more like X800 issue.
Enthusiast
Message 10 of 23 (668 Views)

What exactly is ARC/CEC and where (which device(s) and which settings)  would I go to turn them off and on?

As for SACD's, 3 that I have tried are Bob Dylan - Blood on the Tracks; Elton John - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road; and Moody Blues - Days of Future Passed.  I beleive these each can do stero and multi-channel.

Thanks!

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook