Language: English / Spanish

welcome to Sony's community site

Get involved! Whether you are here to ask or give help - we are happy you stopped by and look forward to seeing you in the future! Please watch our Welcome Video to get started.

Blu-Ray - General

Groovin'
Alouette

Standalone Blu-ray recorder

I want to buy a standalone Blu-ray recorder to burn Blu-ray and DVD disks from HD video output (AVCHD MPEG-4/H.264) from my Canon HF M41A camcorder. I got a JVC professional HD SR1250US, costing $975.00, for this purpose as the only real possibility. I found, unfortunately, that while trying unsuccessfully several times to transfer the video files from the camcorder built-in memory, via USB (camcorder direct to JVC), to the hard drive of the JVC that it progressively deleted more and more scenes from the camcorder memory. Canon customer service told me that the Canon and the JVC "didn't talk the same language" even though they both support AVCHD. The only difference I could find in the specs was the camcorder's version was MPEG-4 while that of the JVC was MPEG-2. Whether that is really the problem I don't know. I was able to return the JVC to B&H with no problem, thankfully. I still want such a burner; a suggestion I have received is the Sony VBD-MA1. As it supports MPEG-2, I am "gun shy" about it. Can anyone help? 

Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
ErikV

Re: Standalone Blu-ray recorder

Hi George,

The Recording operation is not guaranteed when connecting a third party camcorder to VBD-MA1 Recorder using USB connection. However, you may wish to connect your camcorder to it using A/V or i.link cable connection (if available on camcorder). 

If my post answers your question, please mark it as "Accepted Solution".

Thank you for your post.

Please use plain text.