Welcome to the Community!

Blu-Ray - General

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Expert
Message 1 of 4 (20,512 Views)
Accepted Solution

There is no sound or audio when connecting Blu-ray Disc (BD) player to TV when using a HDMI® connection.

Expert
Message 2 of 4 (20,511 Views)

Re: There is no sound or audio when connecting Blu-ray Disc (BD) player to TV when using a HDMI® con

The following may be reasons for not hearing any sound or audio when using a HDMI connection to connect a Blu-ray Disc® (BD) player to the TV:

• The connection uses a HDMI-to-DVI adapter.
  • The connection uses a HDMI-to-DVI cable.
  • The TV may not be set to the appropriate HDMI video input.
  • You are trying to play a MPEG2 Program Stream (PS) file.
  • The HDMI cable may be faulty.

Follow the steps below to troubleshoot this issue:

1. Ensure the picture displayed on TV is from the Blu-ray Disc® (BD) player and that the TV is set to the appropriate HDMI video input.

NOTES:

• If you have a video cable connected, in addition to the HDMI cable, then the TV may be set to the wrong video input.
    • Set the speaker output to AV AMP when using a Sony® BRAVIA® television.
  2. If using a HDMI-to-DVI adapter or cable, connect a different cable to support the audio signal.

IMPORTANT: Since DVI inputs only support video signals, another cable type must be used to get the audio to the TV. Depending on the audio input available on the TV, use either a digital (optical or coaxial) or red & white analog cable.

3. Turn the BD player off and on again.

NOTE: This normally resolves playback issues with MPEG2 PS files.

4. If the issue is unresolved, try replacing the HDMI cable.
  5. If using an amplifier with HDMI cable to connect the BD player to the TV, set Audio (HDMI) on the BD player to PCMto see if the amplifier produces any sound.
  6. If still unresolved, and if possible, try connecting to a different TV to determine whether or not the issue is with the BD player.

The troubleshooting steps listed above should resolve your issue. If you have completed all of the steps and the issue is not resolved, service may be required. The Sony® eService Web site at https://eservice.sony.com/ can assist you in obtaining service from a Sony Service Center or locating a Sony Authorized Servicer.

Rookie
Message 3 of 4 (18,770 Views)

Re: There is no sound or audio when connecting Blu-ray Disc (BD) player to TV when using a HDMI® connection.

Just bought my Sony blurry bDP-BX650 player and there is no sound.  I have another player that I replaced with this Sony one and same thing.  No sound all of a sudden.  I can play Apple TV, computer, dragon box, Xbox over HDMI and have sound. No sound from Sony player.  My Samsung one I replaced also no sound over high speed HDMI v2.0 HDMI cable.

i don't even know what the coaxial digital port is for and what cable to use with that.  I tried an rca cable but that doesn't seem to be it.

my tv is a Samsung LED 3d TV 46".

any help would be appreciated before I return the player.

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Message 4 of 4 (1,038 Views)

Re: There is no sound or audio when connecting Blu-ray Disc (BD) player to TV when using a HDMI® connection.

This problem was driving me crazy, and I found my solution - almost by luck. I have a new Samsung 4K TV (UN75MU8000) and I have a Sony bluray player. Two things went wrong when my new 4K TV first discovered my Sony bluray player through the HDMI connection. First, the video had the dreaded and infmaous "Pink screen" problem (search for this to see what I mean), and it had no audio from the bluray player. I did everything you could think of - based on all the advice out there. I was able to find a fix for the Pink screen problem, but I could not get the audio to work from the bluray player. For the Pink screen, I went into the Sony bluray player settings, and I changed the display output from "Auto" to "RGB". The video colors went back to normal, but still no audio. I tried everything (rebooted, uplugging, changing audio settings to PCM (stereo) instead of digital or Dolby, returning my TV and bluray player to factory settings, switching HDMI cables, switching HDMI ports on my TV, disabling HDMI-CEC (the HDMI handshaking protocol), etc, etc, etc). Nothing fixed the audio problem. Then, by luck, I stumbled upon the fix. Now, this may not work for you if your audio problems or Pink screen problems are caused by a different reason. However, I want to share my fix in case it helps you. I went into the settings of my new Samsung 4K TV, and I disabled "HDMI UHD Color" for the HDMI port that my bluray player was connected to. That solved both the Pink screen problem (since I didn't need to force it to "RGB" any longer), and it solved the audio problem. Now, who would have thought something called "HDMI UHD Color" would cause an audio problem? Not me! But, I'm sure glad I stumbled upon this fix. My guess in that my older Sony bluray player (which is HD, and not UHD) cannot communicate properly with my TV over HDMI if this advanced UHD (4K) Color option is turned on. That option caused the pink screen and audio problem. I left the "HDMI UHD Color" option turned on for the other HDMI ports (where my FIOS cable box and 4K Roku Streaming Stick are connected), and they work fine. It was just the bluray player that needed this option turned off.

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook