Welcome to the Community!

Blu-Ray - General

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Enthusiast
Message 1 of 4 (921 Views)

UBP-X800 scaling HDR to SDR?

I have been experiencing a problem with my UBP-X800 bluray player that I am hoping this community can help me with.  After setting up my bluray player and adjusting settings I discovered that my only 4k HDR movie, Spiderman Homecoming, was being scaled down to 4k SDR.  I determined this from the video playback menu.  Instead of saying 4k/24p HDR it says 4k/60p HDR->SDR.

I believe the video output settings of my Marantz sr5011 receiver are to blame.  The video output settings are set to the default 4k setting with a 60p frame rate output.  As far as I am concerned, there is no way to adjust the 4k frame rate output to anything but 60p.

If I leave the 24p setting for UHD/Bluray as auto on my bluray player the picture significantly stutters and it is unwatchable.  I can only get a clear picture if I leave the setting off.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Apprentice
Message 2 of 4 (883 Views)

Re: UBP-X800 scaling HDR to SDR?

Hi can you select auto as your resolution output on UBP X800 instead choosing a fixed 4K which prevents the scaling capability of the player. The receiver may have a fixed refresh rate, but the player might adjust to the receiver if the output mode is set to Auto. Not sure if this works though!
Enthusiast
Message 3 of 4 (867 Views)

Thank you for the suggestion!  The resolution output was already set to "auto."  

Highlighted
Apprentice
Message 4 of 4 (855 Views)

Hi,irrespective of the refresh rate max applicable to the TV or the AVR the UHD bluray / bluray player outputs to 24fps 4K or 1080p. Did you try by passing the AVR by connecting the player directly to the TV to check the display is 4K@24fps? If it works than the issue is with the AVR output settings. If there is a mode to switch off the AVR video output to Auto it could adjust to the UBP X800 resolution!

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook