Language: English / Spanish

welcome to Sony's community site

Get involved! Whether you are here to ask or give help - we are happy you stopped by and look forward to seeing you in the future! Please watch our Welcome Video to get started.

Blu-Ray - General

Tuning Up
netspert
Accepted Solution

USB Thumb Drive not recognized by Blu-Ray Player

I have a new BDP-S5100.  I cannot get it to recognize a thumb drive.    The thumb drive is 2GB, was FAT32 formatted in my computer, has been working in my Sony car radio as an MP3 source, but  the BD Player cannot see it.  What could cause this?  The articles on the support site are very generic and unhelpful except to recommend FAT32.  Could it be a bad BD Player?

Please use plain text.
FrancisG

Re: USB Thumb Drive not recognized by Blu-Ray Player

[ Edited ]

Please try to reformat the USB device. Afterwards, make sure that the files you are attempting to playback are supported by the Blu-Ray player. You may refer to page 39 of the BDP-S5100 Operating Instructions manual for more information.

For us to isolate the issue, please try another USB thumb drive on the player. If a different USB device can be recognized by the player, the issue is with the original USB device.

If my post answers your question, please mark it as "Accept as Solution"

Please use plain text.
Tuning Up
netspert

Thanks for trying, but I've gathered more data:  The "Thumb Drive" I was trying is a small USB housing that holds a micro SD chip.  The first one I tried was a 2GB chip loaded with MP3 files that I have been playing in my Sony car radio for some time, so it is a good unit - and they should play in ghe BDP-S5100.   Plugged it into the BD Player, and it didn't see anything; tried the Clear BD Memory function, and it reported No valid USB interface in the rear jack.  I have reformatted it on my computer for FAT32; that didn't help.  Made it boootable with an MBR (Master Boot Record), but that didn't help.  Did the same thing with another housing of the same type with a 16GB micro SD chip - still the same result.  Yet, with an old, "found" (junk drawer) commercial 64 MB thumb drive, the BD Player likes it - although it is way too small for this use.  So there is something really different between Thumb Drives that my online research hasn't found.   Windows Disk Management showed me that the old unit that works is FAT32 and ACTIVE, so I tried the MBR bootable route so that unit would also show up as Active, and it did, but that didn't help.  I have ordered a SanDisk 8GB unit to see if that makes any difference.  The old Thumb drive has a LED indicator, and I see that is constantly flashing when inserted into the BD Player, but only flashes when being read when in the computer, so the Player must be constantly accessing the thumb drive.

Please use plain text.
BrianP

Thank you for the message netspert!

Just want to verify, when you said you are using a Thumb Drive are you referring to memory card reader or a USB Flash Drive

Please use plain text.