Language: English / Spanish
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

welcome to Sony's community site

Get involved! Whether you are here to ask or give help - we are happy you stopped by and look forward to seeing you in the future! Please watch our Welcome Video to get started.

Blu-Ray - General

Tuning Up
gchesnut
Accepted Solution

What should the external hard drive max size & file format be to plug into a Sony BDP-S590 USB port

1) What is the maximum size for an external hard drive; 1TB or 2TB that a Sony BDP-S590 will support?

2) What should the external hard drive file format be, NTFS or FAT32 to plug into a Sony BDP-S590 USB port?

Thanks,

Gary

Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
NathanielL

Re: What should the external hard drive max size & file format be to plug into a Sony BDP-S590 U

Thank you for your post and welcome to the forums.

We have tested up to 1TB HDD formatted NTFS. The BDP-S590 recognized the HDD and was able to play back the media files. FAT32 should work also. You would have to verify if the 2TB HDD can be recognized by the unit.

Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
ColbyP

Re: What should the external hard drive max size & file format be to plug into a Sony BDP-S590 U

[ Edited ]

Hello Gary,

As suggested by Nathaniel, you can use a hard drive formatted with FAT32 file system.

NTFS-formatted hard drives are compatible and can be recognized. However, the hard drive should have its own power source; the Blu-ray Disc (BD) player may not be able to power a stand-alone hard drive through the USB connection.

NOTE: The BD player will not recognize external hard drives formatted in MAC computers to be used for Time Machine Backup feature. In this case, the hard drive must be formatted and all of the existing partitions must be deleted for the drive to be detected.

If my post answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution."

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
phony77

I have a 2 TB WD My Book Esential hooked up to mine formatted fat32 and it works flawlessly. Hope this helps you

Please use plain text.