Language: English / Spanish

welcome to Sony's community site

Get involved! Whether you are here to ask or give help - we are happy you stopped by and look forward to seeing you in the future! Please watch our Welcome Video to get started.

Blu-Ray - Netflix, Online Video, Network & Internet

Groovin'
Kithikor
Accepted Solution

BDP 2100 Internet

Hello.
Just bought this player and was trying to figure out how to hook Internet up to it. We currently have Internet ,working just fine. In the setup, it says you can use a WiFi dongle. Which one would work for my player? Or do I have to get another router just for my player?
Thanks in advance.
Please use plain text.
Emerging Star
Kwkong00

Re: BDP 2100 Internet

hi kithiko

do you mean S1100- or S4100 ? 

I don't think Sony have BDP-S2100 now.

by the way, i don't think S1100 and S4100 support wifi dongle, even if support ... you need to buy a sony wifi dongle for it too.

Perhaps you need to hock up with ethernet (LAN cable) for internet access.

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
Kithikor

Running a line to the player is what I was trying to avoid. The router is in one room while the player is in the bedroom.

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
Kithikor

WOW! Totally got the wrong player. Too bad I cannot see.
Sorry to waste your time and effort.
Please use plain text.
Emerging Star
Kwkong00

hi..

in this case, you should have buy a S3100 or S5100. 
i heard many people meet similer issue with S1100 and S4100. 

i heard this thing could help up..

http://www.asus.com/Networking/WL330N3G/

thanks

Please use plain text.
Tuning Up
rogan1980

I have att dsl. I had to go to my router address (it was printed on the router) and activate the wps function. There is an option to set up this way to (wps). There was a button on the router. I could not make the normal code I use for my other devices to work. The wps method worked. So fun now. So cool. And wireless. Also this model is a Black Friday Walmart special model number. Just as good as the other 60 dollar models. Maybe just call your tech support ...
Please use plain text.
Tuning Up
Sadie

Hi Rogan, please help me! I bought this S2100 from Walmart on BlackFriday, and do not understand if i need any additional wires or cables? And if i actually need to hook the hdmi or wireless cable from the dvd player (in living room) to my current router ( in my bedroom)?? If that is the case, it will end up returning this product, because i do not want a 100 ft wire running through my house :smileysad:
Please use plain text.
Emerging Star
Kwkong00

Hi Sadie ,

BDP-S2100 is a wireless only model. Finally it is released...

It doesn't have ethernet connector, so you will only able to connect the player with your router wirelessly.

Do your router have wireless function?

if yes. it shoud be no problem..

You can setup the wireless connection from setup -> easy network setting.
Follow the on screen instruction. You shall able to hock up your player with internet function.

Thanks

Please use plain text.
Tuning Up
rcman5613

I bought this from Walmart on Black Friday too. It's easy to set up with your wireless network and has the ability to config setup manually if preferred. The only drawback I've found so far is the lack of outputs so I can hook it up to my home theater system. I want to be able to take advantage of the full sound too, not just blu-ray viewing. I may have to return it for another model if I can't figure out how to get this function to work with my system.

Please use plain text.
BrianP

Hi rcman5613!

You may connect the Blu-ray player to the Home Theater System (if it has an HDMI input) via HDMI and then connect the system to the TV. That way you don't need an extra cable.

Is your Home Theater System a Sony one? If it is please provide the model number so that we can check it as well. Click this link to get additional information on how to find the model number.

If my post answers your question, please mark it as "Accept as Solution"

Please use plain text.