Language: English / Spanish
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

welcome to Sony's community site

Get involved! Whether you are here to ask or give help - we are happy you stopped by and look forward to seeing you in the future! Please watch our Welcome Video to get started.

Blu-Ray - Netflix, Online Video, Network & Internet

Groovin'
robert_a_hudson
Accepted Solution

BDP-S185 - Help connecting to Internet

Good Evening,

I have purchased a BDP-S185 Blu Ray Player and am struggling to get it to connect to the internet.  I have the player hooked up to a LAN cable to my Apple Laptop (OSX 10.6.8) which is sharing its WiFi connection to ethernet (I know this works as I have an XBOX which gets its internet connection from the apple laptop when needed!).  I have the following settings on my laptop:

- Ethernet IP address of 10.0.0.1.

My wireless router IP address is 192.168.1.1

On the Blu Ray Player I have tried Auto connect but that has failed.  I have then manually input the following settings:

IP Address: 10.0.0.2

Subnet Mask: 255.0.0.0 (note this is also the Ethernet IP Subnet Mask detected by my Laptop)

Default Gateway: 10.0.0.1

Primary DNS: 192.168.1.1

Secondary DNS: 192.168.2.1

I have not set up the Proxy Server option for the Blu Ray Player.

Now on the BDP S185, when I go to 'Network Connection Diagnostics' I get told "Network connections are correct." 

Also, the Network Status on the Blu Ray says Physical Connection: OK, Internet Access: OK

When I go to any of the 'Internet Video' services from the Blu Ray players menu, I get presented with an End User License Agreement (previously, before my 'Internet Access' was 'OK' I got nothing, so I presume this is actually picking it up from the internet).

When I click on 'Agree and Next'  I get an 'Internet Content Conection Status' box which says 'Connecting to Internet video service...(1/3)'  After some time (with a line with a blue pulse going across it) I get a new message box saying 'Connection status cannot be confirmed.  A network error has occured.  Do you want to set the Internet settings?'   If I click yes then I just get taken to the Network setup which says everything is fine.

For information, when I go to the 'System Information' page, I have software version M09.R.0042 (which seems to be the latest version).  I have a LINK Connection Status: Suceeded but a Provisioning Server Connection Status: Failed.

Please can anyone help me to resolve this! I would like to be able to use the functionality advertised for my Blu Ray player otherwise I may as well have wasted my money!  The manual is rather useless at helping me setup/diagnose what the problem is!

Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
ErikV

Re: BDP-S185 - Help connecting to Internet

robert_a_hudson,

Thank you for the detailed explanation about the issue. It seems to be a weak connection issue. I suggest that you perform the manual Internet setup again by changing the last number in the four-number sequence of IP address.

NOTE: Restart both the Player and router before proceeding.

Change the last number to a number higher than the original but less than 254. For example, if the IP address shown on your computer is 192.168.0.5, enter 192.168.0.105

If this does not help, try connecting LAN cable directly to LAN port on the Player.

If the issue persists, perform factory reset in the Player:

Press HOME menu> Setup (suit case icon)> Resetting> All settings>OK

If my post answers your question, please mark it as "Accepted Solution".

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
jward

I have the same problem, but on a BDP-S580.  Everything worked fine until two days ago.  Now the network connection and web browser report success, but any attempt to connect to internet video services fails with a timeout on the (1/3) screen.

After chat and phone response, I've reset player, modem, and router, several times.  Since the phone rep insisted that it was a weak/slow connection I hauled TV and player down to the laundry room next to the router.  With 95% signal strength and 3.5 Mbps (2Wire) I still couldn't refresh my video services.  With direct LAN connection the result was the same.

Tried it with fixed IP addresses and DHCP - no improvement.  Tried Google DNS as well as my ISP's DNS - no joy.

Any clues?  I'm seeing many similar postings in the community, and I'd rather not spend more hours on phone support.

Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
jward

I tried tracking the requests through my router.  When checking the Provisioning Server Connection and when trying to Refresh Internet content it attempts to access three consecutive IP addresses belonging to Sony in San Diego, CA.  Attempts to ping or tracert these addresses time out.

Guess I'll call phone support and see if they can elucidate.

Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
BrianP

[ Edited ]

I apologize for the inconvenience.

Please make sure that the BD player has its latest software version.

Click here for the troubleshooting steps if you are unable to to get the Blu-ray Disc player to communicate with the internet.

Also, are you getting any error message? If yes, please provide the exact error.

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
jward

System information reports that the Provisioning Content Server connection fails.

Any attempt to refresh Internet video content reports that attempts to access the server timed out.

As with many other posts, system and network status information reports the network connection as fine and the built-in web browser is able to access the Internet.

Sadly, I checked firmware version and troubleshooting ideas with phone support to no avail.  At the second level of support, they suggested that the player probably had a problem with the Wifi card and should be returned for repair.

I have strong doubts.  No one I've talked to seems to distinguish between a network problem and a content provider problem.  There is good indication that the Wifi card is in fact performing correctly as a networking device, but its communications with the Sony server is failing.  When I attempt to refresh Internet video content, the device sends requests to three specific IP addresses before reporting timeout.  These addresses are registered to Sony, but neither ping nor tracert is able to reach them.

At this point I've given up.  Rather than incur the expense of a hardware return and repair, I've downgraded the unit to non-streaming status and replaced it with a player from a different manufacturer.  If someone has further suggestions I'll be happy to try them, but have to say that I'm disappointed with Sony support on a problem that's been showing up in posts for several years now.

Please use plain text.
Emerging Star
stevenmh

Having the EXACT same problem with BDP-S590 starting last night.  Has latest firmware.  Bounced all network gear and reset unit to factory settings and then left unplugged for 15 minutes.  Unit still connects to my LAN and streams from other devices.  Unit connects to internet and web browser works.  Network and system status pages confirm internet connection but provisioning server is not responding.  Services are still working on my PS3.

Just sent tech support an email.  Don't have high hopes seeing other people's experiences.  But just out of curiousity, has anyone ever reported replacing or repairing the unit and having the problem resolved?  Seems strange that the provisioning server would reject my BD player but not the PS3, unless they're hitting different servers.

Please use plain text.
Emerging Star
stevenmh

BrianP,

Please read messages before replying.  Every device mentioned here is connecting to the INTERNET.  There are no wifi problems, there are no internet problems.  The SONY SERVER is not responding.  Suggest contacting your colleagues in CA where these IP addresses originate.  Have THEM follow these troubleshooting steps to get your server connected to the internet again.  Then we will have our content back.

Our son is not going to tolerate a Backyardigans-free environment for long.  Either someone bounces that server in CA this week, or my PS3 and BD player go in the trash, I buy two identical boxes from a different manufacturer to replace them, and my family never utters the word Sony again.

Please use plain text.
Emerging Star
Braveschamps95

There are now multiple posts reporting the issues with Sonys bluray not connecting to Sonys media servers on here and on twitter. I wish Sony would acknowledge the problem on their end and give a timetable on fixing the problem.
Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
BrianP

Try to do the network setup of the player again but this time manually enter the IP address and change the Primary DNS to 8.8.8.8 and the Secondary DNS to 8.8.4.4. Follow this link to manually set an IP address on the BD player. Once done with the network setup, go to video menu and select internet video.

If issue persist, reset the player to its factory default setup. Follow the steps below:

1. Using the supplied remote, press the Home button.
2. Go to Setup.
3. Under Setup, select Resetting.
4. Under Resetting, select Reset to Factory Default Settings.
5. Select All Settings.
6. If the player goes off afer the factory reset, just turn it back on and the Easy Setup will be displayed on the screen. But if the player does not turn off just go back to the Setup Menu then go to Easy Setup. Just follow the on-screen prompts to finish the Initial Setup of the player.

Please use plain text.