Language: English / Spanish
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

welcome to Sony's community site

Get involved! Whether you are here to ask or give help - we are happy you stopped by and look forward to seeing you in the future! Please watch our Welcome Video to get started.

Blu-Ray - Netflix, Online Video, Network & Internet

Tuning Up
ellectrastar
Accepted Solution

BDP-S185 can't connect to internet

I am trying to connect my Sony BDP-S185 player to my ****** Media hub. I'm using a LAN connector and have plugged it in the player and in the hub. I get the message saying physical connection failed, internet connection failed. I tried putting it into another LAN receptor on the hub but still nothing. Would this be a problem with the wire? I haven't got anything else to test it on. Or could it be a problem with the hub?

Please use plain text.
JoseM

Re: BDP-S185 can't connect to internet

The best way to test the hub is with a computer. Perhaps a family member or neighbor has a notebook you can use. However, if it is the hub, I would recommend a wireless bridge.

JM
Please use plain text.
Tuning Up
ellectrastar

There's nothing wrong with the hub, it's used for wireless PC and was fine when used wirelessly with my PS3 (which died). The hub is near enough to the player to make a wireless connection which is what I want to do. Why doesn't it work? Would the only other option be that the lead isn't working?

Please use plain text.
JoseM

The BDPS-185 does not have wireless capabilities. You have one of the following 2 options when using this Blu-ray Disc player:

1. Connect the player to your Hub, modem, or router with a LAN cable.  

2. Use a Wireless Bridge or Wireless Gaming adaptor to add wireless capabilities to the Blu-ray Disc player.

JM
Please use plain text.
Groovin'
chevy

i had this issue in the beginning and discovered that the cable was wired incorrectly. when that was solved the physical condition was good but no internet connection. i proceeded with the network update which failed to complete on several occasions. i removed the cable from the port on the modem into a second and booom, the network updated successfully and internet connection established.

my only issue now is that the network icon has no options such as enhanced options. i'm thus looking for a solution.
Please use plain text.
Tuning Up
ellectrastar

I know the player isn't wireless, this is why I'm trying to make the wired connection with the cable.

I've checked with the provider and the hub is plug and play so I don't have to select or change any settings with that. I've also tried different ports. I guess I'm going to have to invest in a new cable to try, so hopefully that is the problem else I'll have wasted more money. It would be so much simpler if Sony included the LAN and HDMI cables in the package. I'm sure it wouldn't cost them that much more and it would improve customer satisfaction. At the moment the player is fine for playing discs but if I'm not able to use the internet capabalities as well it's a waste of time.

Please use plain text.