Language: English / Spanish
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

welcome to Sony's community site

Get involved! Whether you are here to ask or give help - we are happy you stopped by and look forward to seeing you in the future! Please watch our Welcome Video to get started.

Blu-Ray - Netflix, Online Video, Network & Internet

Tuning Up
sentry_303
Accepted Solution

BDP S3100 Not recognizing MKV/MPEG4, only AVI for streaming, but works from thumbdrive

So I've encountered an odd issue that cropped up after a couple updates ago.  When I first purchased the BDPS3100 it was able to recognize and instantly stream any file type from my server.  I use a  Synology DS211j with a pair of 2tb drives configured in RAID.  

After a patch (or two), I noticed that playing any file (except for AVIs) resulted in an "Unsupported format or unrecognizable file" error.  I did a little fiddling with the settings on my DS2 but can't seem to find anything I changed that would explain the problem.  On top of that, my Playstation 3 was still playing all the exact same files with no problem.

Upon further inspection, I noticed that the files that wouldn't play on the S3100 would display a "M2TS" file tag next to the file, while the ones that did play (only AVIs) would display the proper tag (AVI).  Every other type of file (MKV/MPG etc) would display as M2TS.

My next step was to copy a type of each (AVI/MKV/MPEG) to a thumb drive and plug it into the S3100.  Oddly enough, all the file tags displayed properly, and ALL THE FILES played properly as well!  

Obviously this means there is something wrong with the streaming, but why is it affecting the S3100 and not my PS3?  I didn't mess with any settings between patches, was there a patch that affected some type of network protocol that I wasn't aware of?

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Please use plain text.
SamT

Re: BDP S3100 Not recognizing MKV/MPEG4, only AVI for streaming, but works from thumbdrive

Please refer to the solution of this same issue on your other post here. Thanks!

Please use plain text.
Tuning Up
sentry_303

Re: BDP S3100 Not recognizing MKV/MPEG4, only AVI for streaming, but works from thumbdrive

You referred to a manual page that conflicts with the marketing PDF about whether or not these formats are supported via DLNA.  I am not sure this constitutes any type of resolution, just poor consistency on Sony's part.

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
bdudek

Try this fix as a start. I had the same issue with my MP4 files. They kept showing as M2TS and they were not. Make a copy of your /volume1/@appstore/MediaServer/etc/agent.conf file just in case you make a mistake. Edit the agent.conf file and go to the "Sony Blu-ray Disc Player" profile. You will find this line: "profile@MPEG_TS_SD_EU":"ext@m2ts&ts&m2t&mts&mkv&mp4&m4v", change that line to look like this: "profile@MPEG_TS_SD_EU":"ext@m2ts&ts&m2t&mts&mkv", now add this line right after the one you changed: "profile@MPEG_PS_SD":"ext@mp4&m4v", Save the file off and restart the Media Server package. I have submitted my findings to Synology for review. I have tested this fix on the BDP-S3100, BDP-S780 and the BDP-S390 with success for me. I would be interested to know if you added mkv to the MPEG_PS_SD profile if that would fix your issue. Please post a reply if you try it.
Please use plain text.
Groovin'
meinaz

Could you post the instructions please?  Where do you find this file?

Thank you????

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
bdudek

1. Enable the Telnet service 2. Telnet to device and login as root. Your password is the same as admin. 3. Change directory to /volume1/@appstore/MediaServer/etc and copy the agent.conf file to a new name so you have a backup. 4. Copy the agent.conf to a directory that can be accessed via FTP. 5. FTP the file to your machine and use a text editor to make the changes. 6. Copy the file back to the device and then in the telnet window copy the file over the existing agent.conf file. 7. reboot the device and test. If it does not work then the replace the agent.conf wityh the copy you made in the beginning.
Please use plain text.