Language: English / Spanish

welcome to Sony's community site

Get involved! Whether you are here to ask or give help - we are happy you stopped by and look forward to seeing you in the future! Please watch our Welcome Video to get started.

Blu-Ray - Netflix, Online Video, Network & Internet

Tuning Up
kdausman
Accepted Solution

BDP-S3100 Won't Connect to Netflix

Have installed a BDP-S3100 and cannot connect to Netflix. Spent significant time on chat support to no avail (both with Sony and with Netflix). Here are the details:

1) Internet connection is fine (AT&T DSL). Have tried it both over WiFi and direct Ethernet connection, and the symptoms are identical.

2) Can access numerous other internet services (Amazon Prime, Pandora, YouTube) with no problem.

3) Selecting Netflix either from the menu or with the Netflix button gives the same results.

4) Error message is, "Unable to connect to Netflix. Please try again or visit: www.netflix.com/tvhelp," and provides the options, "Try Again," (which does nothing) and "Exit."

5) Have rebooted (with lengthy unplug times) the Blu Ray player and my router more times than I can count.

6) Have tried resetting to factory defaults (all settings) and initializing personal information multiple times.

7) When I try the "Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, Up, Up, Up, Up" sequence, get the following message: "Software Version: M14.R.0142/2012.1.2; Netflix version: NMRDLIB 2012.1.2 - Built 00:48:26 Jun 30 2013; ESN: SONY-13BDAKL100306NMJD=3VC0OGESC; Device Mode: Sony_AX; Last Error: Network / 3 / Host not found / https://uiboot.netflix.com/apps/htmltvui/upgrade_policy?v=2.0&e=..." (the url is long and goes off the right side of the screen).

8) I have tried deactivating the Netflix device mutliple times. I also deactivated all netflix devices from my netflix account.

9) As is shown above, I am up-to-date on the firmware. I suspected a misinstallation of the netflix app portion of the firmware, so downloaded the CD to try to reinstall the latest firmware. The BDP-S3100 does not let me do that... it checks to see that the version on the CD is the same and then stops the installation process.

10) Tech support wanted me to try www.speedtest.com from the browser within the BDP-S3100. It wouldn't connect (I know the internet connection itself is correct because I could get to google). When I test the internet speed from a laptop that is either wirelessly connected or hardwired, I get roughly the same internet speed: ca. 5.6 Mbps download. This is easily sufficient to watch Netflix instant on the laptop. Besides, the errors I'm getting aren't indicating too slow a speed, they are can't connect and host not found.

Any suggestions would be most welcome!

Please use plain text.
AngelaP

Re: BDP-S3100 Won't Connect to Netflix

I'm sorry to hear about what is happening with the your player. Do the network setup of the player again but you have to manually enter the IP address and change the Primary DNS to 8.8.8.8 and the Secondary DNS to 8.8.4.4. To manually enter those information refer to this article. Once done with the network setup, access Netflix.

If the issue still persists, try to check the speed of your internet connection by going to www.2wire.com. The result from www.speedtest.net represents the speed of internet searches and browsing while the result from www.2wire.com represents the speed when streaming videos with larger file sizes. The player should meet the minimum internet speed of 2.5 mbps for standard definition content and 10 mbps for high Definition content.

If my post answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution."

Please use plain text.
Tuning Up
kdausman

Spectacular! That worked like a charm!

I hope this solution gets better publicized!

Please use plain text.
AngelaP

I'm glad that the issue is now resolved. :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Tuning Up
wiants

I'm having the same problem with my BDP-S3100.  Is there a way to update to IP address while using a wireless connection?  I've looked but can't find a way to modify that.

Please use plain text.
BrianP

Yes, to manually enter the IP address on this player through wireless setup follow the steps below:

1. Under Setup go to Network Settings and select Internet Settings.
2. Choose Wireless Setup (built-in). (Do not select your network name)
3. Press the down arrow button and select Add A New Address.
4. Type the name of your Network, then press the right arrow to continue.
5. Enter your SSID or password, then press the right arrow.
5. A message will be displayed asking if you want to setup IPV6 address, select NO.
6. Then, it will ask if you want to setup IPV4 address, choose YES.
7. Select Custom and then Specify IP address.

You may follow the steps here to manually enter the IP address. Also, change the Primary DNS to 8.8.8.8 and Secondary DNS to 8.8.4.4.

If my post answers your question, please mark it as "Accept as Solution"

Please use plain text.
Tuning Up
tomdell13

Thanks for the tip!  I was actually able to get connectivity with only disabling IPv6, and leaving all the IPv4 settings on auto.

Please use plain text.
AKH Tuning Up
Tuning Up
AKH

I have been having this exact same problem and have tried several times to fix it and nothing has worked.  

I tried what you said by following all of your insturctions and it worked great!  Thanks so so much for posting these instructions!

Please use plain text.
Tuning Up
Stace30

Thank you so much, this worked great! I just had to turn off the IPv6 as recommended by one response and that worked. Thanks again!
Please use plain text.
SamT

[ Edited ]

Hello AKH and Stace30!

We're happy to hear your Sony Blu-ray players are working! :smileyhappy:

Thanks for letting us know about it! :smileyhappy:

http://bit.ly/LapMagWin

Please use plain text.