Language: English / Spanish

welcome to Sony's community site

Get involved! Whether you are here to ask or give help - we are happy you stopped by and look forward to seeing you in the future! Please watch our Welcome Video to get started.

Blu-Ray - Netflix, Online Video, Network & Internet

Tuning Up
thebl4ckd0g
Accepted Solution

BDP-S390 - issues with Amazon Prime Instant Video?

For the past 2 weeks now, I think after the most recent firmware update, I have massive issues playing stuff through the Sony Bluray player with Amazon Prime Instant Video.

I have done some troubleshooting and I have come to the conclusion that it is either the cable going to the hub in my cable modem or the player itself.

I can play the same videos fine with no issues on my computer on the same internet connection that is providing the Bluray player connectivity.

The actual issue is I'll be watching a show, in this instance, Fringe Season 2 in HD - and it will just randomly stop playing. I can stop it and restart from where I left off, and it will either work or it won't. But I can go right to my PC and fire up an episode and watch it all the way thorugh no problem.

Is there going to be a fix for this anytime soon? Is anybody else having any problems?

Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
ErikV

Re: BDP-S390 - issues with Amazon Prime Instant Video?

[ Edited ]

Hi Chris,

Welcome to Sony Community!

Make sure that latest firmware update has been installed in the Blu-ray Player as it may improve the performance of Internet features. You can find the information about latest firmware update in the below page:

http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/swu-download.pl?mdl=BDPS390&upd_id=7741&os_group_id=6

Also, try the steps mentioned on the below support article:
https://us.en.kb.sony.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/33377

Also, this issue has been reported to occur with some movies from Amazon Video on Demand (VOD) that are longer than 202 minutes in length. Movies stop playing after 202 minutes have elapsed. According to Amazon, the issue is being caused by the way some of the video content is encoded. Amazon is in the process of re-encoding affected content.

If the issue persists, try unlink and relinking the Amazon service from the Blu-ray Player. Steps are mentioned on the below support article:

https://us.en.kb.sony.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/32177

https://us.en.kb.sony.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/32066

If the issue is not resolved, I suggest that you contact Amazon support team.

If my post answers your question, please mark it as "Accepted solution".

Please use plain text.
Tuning Up
thebl4ckd0g

I have the latest firmware on the player - seems like the latest is a few months ago back in 2012.

I don't think internet is an issue, I have 30 down 5 up from Time Warner and a speed test is showing a nice stable 19-20 down and 3-4 up.

Episodes of Fringe are only around 45-60 minutes long, so I don't think that is relevenat.

I also completely wiped my player clean of ALL information and set it up from scratch. That had no effect.

I can try contacting Amazon, but if it plays fine from my Computer with no interruptions, that would lead me to believe the Player is the culprit and not Amazon's service.

Perhaps this is something Sony and Amazon can work on together to get it fixed in your next firmware update for the player?

Please use plain text.
Groovin'
Mwolson

I am also having the exact same problem, for about the last 3 weeks, and only with Amazon.  We have both a BP-BX57 and SMP-N100 for streaming.  No issues at all when streaming Netflix, Hulu, our Playon Channel, etc.  But with Amazon, we can start a show (any show, but mainly now we are watching Fringe), once it gets through the connection startup, it will freeze and buffer for about 5 minutes.. It will start, play maybe a minute, and it freezes and buffers.

Start over with the connection, same thing.

Rebooth the entire BDP player, same thing..

NO issues at all streaming Amazon with our Wii, downstairs.  This is a wireless connection (router is upstairs)

NO issues at all streaming Amazon with our laptop in the same room.  This is a wireless connection (router in same room).

I've tried running the BDP player directly wired through the wireless router, and also directly wired into the DSL router (so there's no wireless issue at all), and also trie running it wirelessly.

The odd thing is, that NOTHING else in our setup has changed.  And we've been able to stream from Amazon Instant Video for MONTHS without issues.  We've been on the latest firmware since it released.

Not sure what else to do at this point.  Thinking about going to get an LG or Panasonic blu-ray and see if that remedies the issue.

Its not possible to watch anything.

Please use plain text.
Tuning Up
rockandrollbot

This is my experience, too. Netflix and Hulu work fine on my player. Amazon works fine in other devices in my house. Issue is Amazon on my Sony player.

Any previous posters have progress on this issue in the last few months? I bought this device specifically for amazon support. Also to note, amazon works fine on my PS3 in the other room.
Please use plain text.
BrianP

Make sure also that the software of the player is update.Click here to check the current firmware version of the unit.

Please follow the steps for internet streaming videos (e.g Amazon VOD) that stops, pauses or buffers.

For further assistance, please provide the model number of the player. Also, when you play Amazon video do you get any error message?

Please use plain text.
Tuning Up
westonboucher

Same exact problem for me, only have issue with amazon prime watching fringe season 2 on my sony Blu ray player. This may be the last straw for me with sony products if it doesn't get resolved soon. Already hate the interface of the player and sluggish startup and load times anyway.
Please use plain text.
BrianP

Hi westonboucher! 

Please follow the troubleshooting steps on the link I provided above. 

For further assistance, please provide the model number of the player. Click this link to get additional information on how to find your model number. Also, is this issue happening with other internet applications ( e.g. Netflix and YouTube)? 

Please use plain text.
Tuning Up
Acpjdc

I am having the same issue. We have (tested & verified) 50 mbps internet connection. Movies stream with no issues on vizio tv with integrated wireless and several ipads. We had the sony wireless 3d player sine september. Thought maybe issue was that unit so just got a new one this week. New blu ray has exact same issue. About half way through any streaming movie it gets stuck 'loading' and will continue to glitch until i unplug the blu ray player. The wireless router is within 2 feet of the blu ray player and is providing full sinal. The blu ray player is brand new and has been fully updated with new software. Do I have to reurn all my sony products? Too bad, I like them other than that (major) issue.
Please use plain text.
BrianP

Hi Acpjdc! 

Please follow the troubleshooting steps on the link I provided above. Also provide the model number of the unit. Is this issue happening with other internet applications ( e.g. Netflix and YouTube)? 

Please use plain text.