Welcome to the Community!

Blu-Ray - Netflix, Online Video, Network & Internet

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Enthusiast
Message 1 of 9 (1,218 Views)

BDP-S5500

My Sony BDP-S5500 will not update its firmware. its stuck at M25.R.0215. I saw 2 weeks ago a new version (M25.R.0218) and tried updating via wireless and USB. All attempts failed. I called tech support twice and they were useless, basically asking me to do the same thing over and over. Now i see there is a new firmware update (M25.R.0221) from Feb 2. Tried wireless update and that also failed. Waiting to try USB but not expecting a different outcome. Anyone have any suggestions?

Message 2 of 9 (1,153 Views)

Re: BDP-S5500

Hello gravy_man, 

Greetings and thank you for your message. We suggest checking these steps to try installing the update manually if you have already tried using a wired connection with your Blu-ray player as a second option to allow the unit to automatically download and install the update: 

1. USB memory device needs to be formatted to file system FAT32 or NTFS prior attempting to transfer the update file.
  2. Download the update HERE and save it on your computer.
  3. Verify the file name UPDATE_M25R0221.zip and also the size of the file should be 130,359,793 bytes (124 MB)
  4. Extract the update file from the UPDATE_M25R0221.zip file and a new folder will be created called UPDATE
  5. Save the folder called UPDATE on your USB memory device by right-clicking the UPDATE folder and select Send To by clicking the drive where your USB device is located.
  6. Remove the USB device from your computer and insert it into USB port located on the front panel of the player.
  7. Go to the HOME menu, select SETUP, then SOFTWARE UPDATE, press the ENTER button.
  8. The Software Update confirmation will be displayed. Select Update via USB Memory then press OK to perform the Update via USB Memory.
  9. The message Update to a new software version is prompted and the latest software version is displayed on the television, select OK and then press the ENTER button.

For additional information you can also check the following link: 

https://esupport.sony.com/US/p/swu-download.pl?mdl=BDPS5500&upd_id=11055&os_group_id=5#dwnld

If my post answers your question, please mark it as "Accept as Solution"

Enthusiast
Message 3 of 9 (960 Views)

I wish I could say it did. When i tried to make another attempt, the DVD player will flash the SONY DVD splash, show the main screen with all of the app options, and then immediately shut down. When i try to plug pull to force a reset, it just does the same thing. The fact that the unit power will not cycle off tells me that something is very wrong with the player. So I cant say if update would even work. Very said since i feel like I should just throw the player  in the garbage but i paid good money for it Smiley Sad

Message 4 of 9 (937 Views)

Hi Gravy_man,

Welcome and thank you for considering the SONY Community!

I sent you a private message please check your Community inbox.

Regards,

~Erin

Rookie
Message 5 of 9 (853 Views)

I had the same problem.  Did you get a solution?  Very disappointed that a failed software update would make my BDP useless for streaming.  Will not buy Sony products again at this rate.

Enthusiast
Message 6 of 9 (844 Views)

No resolution. Suggestion by technical support to try unplugging and restarting unit to fix it was a joke considering my problem clearly stated that i had unit powered off for a week and still freezes on boot-up. Shows that they really dont pay any attention to the problem and just go off of scripts when trying to help customers. Suggestion to send it out for repair also not resonable when i am sure costs would be more then the $50 it be to just buy a new one...

Highlighted
Rookie
Message 7 of 9 (775 Views)

Same problem here. I could stream without the update, now my unit is worthless. Time to jump over to a different brand. Bummer
Message 8 of 9 (751 Views)

Hi Jgarwood,

Welcome to the SONY Community!

We regret to hear what happened with the player. We would like to hear more from you. You may send me a private message (PM) with the issue you currently have and let see how we can be of assistance. For the meantime, you may refer to the steps below to isolate the concern:

1. Test the Internet connection with a different device, such as a computer, to verify if Internet access is available.

NOTE: If necessary, contact your Internet Service Provider (ISP) for assistance with re-establishing or activating an Internet connection.

2. Confirm that an active Internet connection has been established using a wired or wireless connection.

NOTES:

• Some routers have a WMM setting that can help control the streaming video. If using a wireless connection, contact the router manufacturer for assistance on changing the WMM setting to help control latency and jitter when transmitting multimedia over a wireless connection.
    • If using a wireless gaming adapter for connection, make sure it is set up properly.
  3. Make sure the device has the latest system software update installed. This can either be done from the Settings menu of the device (recommended) or download the software update and installation instructions from eSupport web site. Software and driver updates for your Sony product are available online.
  4. Test if the error message only appears when accessing one particular online service or content.

NOTE: If the error only occurs when trying to access one particular online website or service, then that particular site may be temporarily down for maintenance purposes. In these rare cases, re-attempt to access the desired online content at a later time.

5. Reset the cable modem or router by unplugging the power cord from the electrical outlet for one minute.
  6. This issue may be resolved by refreshing the Internet content.

Follow the steps below to try the Refresh Internet Content, Update List or Update Services operations.

IMPORTANT: This step is not necessary on an Android TV™.

The list of Internet applications may change after an update to the device. The list may also need to be updated or refreshed if it has been a while since you have used the Internet features on the device.

NOTE: For devices other than the Android TV, the issue may be resolved by refreshing the Internet content.

• Follow these steps to Refresh Internet Content.
      1. Using the supplied remote, press the HOME button.
      2. Select Settings.

NOTE: The next steps will vary slightly depending on the model being used. Refer to the operations guide or i-Manual for model specific information. Manuals, Specifications and Warranty information for your Sony product is available online.

3. Select either Setup or Network.
      4. Select Refresh Internet Content.
    • Follow these steps to Update List.
      1. Using the supplied remote, press the HOME button.
      2. Select the VIDEO icon.
      3. Press the OPTIONS button.
      4. Select Update List.
    • To do an Update Services on Blu-ray Disc® players
      • Select Update Services on the Home screen.
  7. Change the Primary Domain Name Server (DNS) to a Public DNS 8.8.8.8., and the Secondary DNS to 8.8.4.4. in the Network Setup menu
  8. Reset the device to the factory default settings.

NOTE: It may take up to 3 attempts for a full reset to occur.

Additonal steps can be access in the next link:

https://us.en.kb.sony.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/75612/p/47329%2C47564%2C95500/c/65%2C66/kw/general...

https://us.en.kb.sony.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/45101/p/47329%2C47564%2C95500/c/65%2C66/kw/softwar...

Regards,

~Erin

If my post answers your question, please click the button below "Accept as Solution".

Enthusiast
Message 9 of 9 (731 Views)

Not sure why they are telling you how to update the unit, when it is dead. Sony tech on phone said they would replace my unit since the firmware rendered it useless, but when they saw that it was 15 months old they said that i was responsible to have it fixed. Considering their firmware make it useless i dont see why i am responsible. I am still waiting for a 'manager' to call me since the customer service rep i spoke to said that there was nothing she could do for me. What a joke. I thought Sony stood behind their products. Why i am going to pay to have unit fixed when most likely will be cheaper to just buy a new one (not a Sony after this...)

Get Social

Share your ideas Watch YouTube Support Videos follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook