Language: English / Spanish

welcome to Sony's community site

Get involved! Whether you are here to ask or give help - we are happy you stopped by and look forward to seeing you in the future! Please watch our Welcome Video to get started.

Blu-Ray - Netflix, Online Video, Network & Internet

New Contributor
SpringfieldGuy
Accepted Solution

BDP-S570 Netflix streaming stop/start buffering

The Netflix streaming on the BDP-S570 through my WiFi router (Linksys WRT54G, Ver. 6) stops and starts as the buffering trys to catch up. I can switch over and stream the same Netflix movie at on the same router through a wired connection through to a PC without a problem. This happens in for SD and HD movies and is very frequent. Speed connection for Comcast tests at 15 - 20MBPS so speed is not an issue. I have the latest firmware M04.R.624 and just purchased the unit from Walmart. Is there an adjustment to the Wi-Fi, Sony, a firmware update, or fix for this? It makes watching videos on the BDP-S570 impossible. :(
Please use plain text.
Contributor
sonymod_mf

Re: BDP-S570 Netflix streaming stop/start buffering

Make sure you're running the latest firmware on the blu-ray player [url:2pr8fjjm]http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/swu-download.pl?upd_id=5909[/url:2pr8fjjm]. You can also try changing the channel on your router to a less crowded channel such as 1 or 11. You should be able to change those settings within the router settings.

-Mike Sony Service & Support
Please use plain text.
USER-984022

I had the same issue and saw the same result when using Netflix on my VAIO notebook at home (same location of the home as my BDP-S570). I don't know if it is Wifi strength or buffering that you get on a PC?

What was interesting is that when I did my system check for Qriocity, it indicated that I didn't have enough signal strength for an HD stream whereas it was ok with SD (SD actually looked pretty impressive). So, lastnight I called AT&T to upgrade my internet connection from 3MBs to 12MBs just to see if this would have an impact. For me, it fixed my Netflix issue and now lets me stream Qriocity in HD smoothly too. My BDP-S570 shows that I'm getting great signal strength.

Not sure if this will work for you, worked wonders for me.
Please use plain text.
USER-934184

I am also having a streaming issue when trying to watch Netflix movies. My S570 has up to date software. I have no issues streaming to my pc's and to my iPhone. Internet speed is just under 10MBPS and seems to be stable. Netflix told me on the phone tonight that when the Blue Ray connects, the bandwith falls below their minimum. They suggest a call to my ISP and/or contact with Sony. I tried to hook up "wired" to see if that changed things but couldn't get it to work and just ran out of patience with the thing tonight. Does anyone have any other troubleshooting steps I should try before "summoning" a tech from my ISP?

Thanks
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
bearcat245

I have a similar issue. Nexflix from my BDP-770 gives me not access sometime after 6pm to 11pm.
Direct wire connection works from PC, but it even takes a long time to get passed the pre-check screen.
I think its something to do with my "Comcast" modem and my D-Link Router DGL-4500. Ports are opened and I do get other net content from the palyer (Pandora etc).
Any idea's ? :?:
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
USER-984878

I bought the BX57 at Costco yesterday as an alternative to the Vizio machine I bought over the weekend. At first I was delighted, because the picture quality appears better on the Sony than the Vizio, slightly. But the Netflix streaming is constantly disconnecting, indicating that the signal is lost. But I don't lose the signal on my bedroom laptop, and didn't once have a problem over the weekend with the Vizio. My problem with the Vizio was that the machine would freeze, when using the remote, and you would have to shut off the machine completely, and restart. So, I just bought the Sony, assuming it's better. As I said, the picture quality appears slightly better -- but I notice two things that are happening: 1: Netflix streaming constantly disconnects. 2: The Netflix interface is shockingly primitive, even compared to the Vizio, which featured the recent streaming viewing history, and suggestions in several categories. Also, vis-a-vis the fast forward feature on Netflix, the Vizio interface shows a frame-by-frame progress above the bar, which is a really nice feature. I'm shocked at the primitive Netflix app on the Sony. But the network disconnect is the deal-breaker for me.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
USER-987798

Re: Netflix Stream Stops - Sony BDP-S270 w/UWA-BR100
by USER-987798 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:46 pm

Just read your post
Don't know if this will help, I just hooked up my wii to my 3d blueray
Player home theater and down loaded Netflix (this is on the wii )
I would start the movie and in about 5min would cut off the Internet connection and the movie would stop. My sony blueray player had to be turned off for the movie to work on the wii. I think it's because of the s-air wireless speakers adapter so I don't use the home theater and the movie works fine.I also like the Sony Playstation 3 for the netflix movies instead of using the home theater so maybe it's not the router
)
Please use plain text.
USER-959748

I've got the S-570 and having the same streaming problem. My first netflix movie went well. The next night the movie stopped over 8 times to catch up. The next night it stopped 4 times. Tonight it stopped after 1 min and 8 seconds to download more.

The machine has the latest firmware (M04.R.735) and I'm downloading at over 17.69mb. My laptop is currently playing the same video, uninterrupted, over the wireless network.

The S570 is less than 10' away on the other side of the wall from the router. Nothing else is running over the internet cable, not skype, another download or anything else. Just Netflix.

This is totally unacceptable from such a big name company like Sony. I can live with the so-so interface, but the constant reloading is NOT acceptable.

With so many people expressing the same problems through out the internet it's obvious we don't have the problem, it's the programing of the S570

Time to get this fixed Sony and not fiddle any more with the corporate mumbo-jumbo double speak and blaming everything else to divert attention from the true problem.

My other problem was having to go through 2 Sony web sites to be able to do business with Netflix. I found this to be very annoying and intrusive. Not to mention none of the corporate business of the Sony corporation regarding how I legally use the box I payed for.
Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
USER-944576

I have a BDPS570 and with every update the problems with Netflix get worse and worse as if Sony is trying to drive their machine owners away from Netflix to Sony. This machine is junk. I tested my Internet connection through three different systems and it averages 27.5 Mbs on the download. It takes several tries to even get a Netflix Streaming Video to start much less keep playing. You get error messages like "The Network Is Down" and "This device is not enabled to play this protected content." " I just updated the firmware a couple of days ago to M04.R.752 and there has been no improvement. The problem is the same no matter if I use a wired or wireless connection. The BDPS570 has it's own wireless connection on an N-Band 2.5 GHz. My router is a brand new Dual Band with a, b, g and n at 2.5 GHz and n at 5 GHz. Every excuse Sony comes up with is a lie because I have tried every one of them and none of them change anything. The player actually worked best when I first bought it and I only started having the Netflix problems after the first Firmware update. So Sony is actually creating the Netflix problem, not solving it.
Please use plain text.
USER-951962

I have the same problem of streaming wireless Netflix movies on my BDP-S570. I purchased the unit in December 2010 and during my Netfix trial (1 month) period it worked almost flawlessly with only an occasional stop/start. The next month there were more frequent stop/start problems -- now it will not even connect wirelessly. The only change in the system has been the upgrades that Sony issued. I am on the most recent update (735). The unit works if a wired connection is enabled. Other computers including an iPad stream wirelessly without problem - it appears just to be a Sony specific problem with their wireless connectivity to Netflix. What is Sony doing to fix this problem???
Please use plain text.