Language: English / Spanish
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

welcome to Sony's community site

Get involved! Whether you are here to ask or give help - we are happy you stopped by and look forward to seeing you in the future! Please watch our Welcome Video to get started.

Blu-Ray - Netflix, Online Video, Network & Internet

Tuning Up
dwillcoxon
Accepted Solution

BDP-S580 - gateway not responding

Hi:

Having trouble connecting BDP-S580 to internet.  I get the following error:  gateway not responding

Briefly:

Internet Settings – Status

Connection method:  Wireless

Wireless connection:  OK

Internet Access:  Failed

Network (SSID):  3690wlan_EXT

Signal strength:  100%

Security:  WEP

IP address setting:  Specify IP Address

IP address:  192.168.1.135

Subnet Mask:  255.255.255.0

Default gateway:  192.168.1.1

DNS Settings

Primary DNS:  192.168.1.1

Secondary DNS:  0.0.0.0

MAC Address:  00:a0:96:b5:3e:86

Proxy Server:  Not used

My router is Linksys WRT54G2.

I would really appreciate some help. 

Thank you.

Dan

Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
NathanielL

Re: BDP-S580 - gateway not responding

Thank you for your post and welcome to the forums.

There are a few things to try to get the BD Player to connect to the internet. 

1. Being that the Linksy WRT54G is a very old router, try upgrading the firmware by logging into the router web interface. If you need assistance on verifying the router firmware version, click the following Hyperlink to contact Linksys Support
  2. Use an auto ip address assignment if it hasn't been attempted. I see that Specify IP Address is chosen. If you need to use a custom ip address please contact Sony Support for assistance with making IP changes.
  3. Use a wired connection from the player to the Linksys router.
  4. Purchase a new N Router.

Any of these suggestions may work however, there could be more variables pertaining to the situation that are hard to point.

Thank you.

Please use plain text.
Tuning Up
dwillcoxon

Thank you so very much for your note, I appreciate it.  You suggestion confirmed my view that I appear to have a challenge with the router.  I agree with the addition of streaming the age of the router & its feature set probably does not make sense to continue and an upgrade is in order.

Best wishes.

Dan

Please use plain text.
Tuning Up
Marklinalan

I have the same Blu-Ray, but am using a 2nd generation 1TB Time Capsul as my router. I use an Airport Express as a remote, and have tried connecting the S580 to it wirelessly, or with a Cat-6 cable. I show a connection to my network, but cannot get an internet connection no matter what settings I try. The remote Express streams music to my AV receiver, so it seems the problem is going in the other direction from the S580. I have tried both the Auto settings, and entering Custom information.

Please use plain text.
Tuning Up
quiga01

I am having a similar problem with my BDP-S580.  I have tried both Wireless and Wired connections and cannot connect to the Internet Service for any of the content offerings, like Netflix, VUDU, etc.  I can connect with the Web browser to a URL and get out to the Internet.  All of the Network information is complete and validates against other devices in my house.  This just started happening and is very frustrating.  I even reset the Network Settings, still not connection to content with the reason being cannot confirm Internet connection.  Any ideas or help are appreciated.

Please use plain text.
Tuning Up
tgsauer514

I have the same problem with a new linksys router. I have spent hours on this and several chat sessions with tech support to no avail. Please help.

I am about ready to give up on SONY products over this.

Please use plain text.
Top 40 Artist
BrianP

Hi tgsauer514! 

Try doing a power reset on the player. Follow the steps below:

1. Turn off the player.

2. Unplug the AC power cord from the electrical outlet.

3. Leave the player unplugged for 1 minute.

4. Plug the AC power cord from the electrical outlet. 

5. Turn on the player again.

For us to further assist you, please provide more information. What is the model number of the player? Click this link to get additional information on how to find your model number. Also, are you getting any error message? If yes, please provide the exact error.

Please use plain text.